1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 9:37 a.m.

One more sign that everyone has lost their minds. I like her, and if I wasn't married would probabaly have been arrested for stalking her, but I don't think she is the political statement kind of celebrity. I wasn't a big fan of Dunkin Donuts to begin with but I see no reason to go back. And for Michele Malkin, she's the first to bitch when someone on the left gets their panties in a wad over something stupid but sees a black and white scarf as an afront to freedom loving Americans everywhere. I have a black and white and a matching hat. Perhaps I've been hidding Osama in my basement.

Boston Globe said:Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachael Ray ad Email|Print|Single Page| Text size – + By Carol Beggy and Mark Shanahan Globe Staff / May 28, 2008 Does Dunkin' Donuts really think its customers could mistake Rachael Ray for a terrorist sympathizer? The Canton-based company has abruptly canceled an ad in which the domestic diva wears a scarf that looks like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men. Some observers, including ultra-conservative Fox News commentator Michelle Malkin, were so incensed by the ad that there was even talk of a Dunkin' Donuts boycott. "The keffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad," Malkin yowls in her syndicated column. "Popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos, the apparel has been mainstreamed by both ignorant and not-so-ignorant fashion designers, celebrities, and left-wing icons." The company at first pooh-poohed the complaints, claiming the black-and-white wrap was not a keffiyeh. But the right-wing drumbeat on the blogosphere continued and by yesterday, Dunkin' Donuts decided it'd be easier just to yank the ad. Said the suits in a statement: "In a recent online ad, Rachael Ray is wearing a black-and-white silk scarf with a paisley design. It was selected by her stylist for the advertising shoot. Absolutely no symbolism was intended. However, given the possibility of misperception, we are no longer using the commercial." (In case you're wondering, the stylist who selected the offending scarf was not Gretta Enterprises boss Gretchen Monahan, who appears on Ray's TV show as a style consultant.) For her part, Malkin was pleased with Dunkin's response: "It's refreshing to see an American company show sensitivity to the concerns of Americans opposed to Islamic jihad and its apologists." more stories like this

I think it looks silly, but if that were a crime alot more people would be getting locked up.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/29/08 9:41 a.m.

Yeah, that whole thing's stupid. Now if she had been wearing a burkha and holding a deadman switch, maybe I could see everybody having a fit.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/29/08 9:41 a.m.

wow.

EDIT - BTW - I'd like RR a lot better if she wore a burka.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 10:21 a.m.

I could just see a date between Wally and Rachel. She starts talking and he politely places his finger over her lips and reminds her that talking is for the TV, dating is for eating hot wings.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/29/08 10:26 a.m.

Before being discovered by Oprah, RR was a local TV cook person with a 10 minute schtick once a week. She went to my brother Mike's apartment once with a camera crew and made dinner with Mike and his 8 year old son. It was a story on single guy cooking. She wasn'tmarried at the time.

The meal was wonderful but Mike isn't the smooth talker three beers lets him think he is...

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
5/29/08 10:28 a.m.
Wally wrote: One more sign that everyone has lost their minds.

+1

That is friggin' beyond idiotic.

Figures that Faux News makes a story out of it.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
5/29/08 10:35 a.m.

Kinda on the same token, but I graduated after the whole Columbine incident.

It was a rainy day and my rain coat was a Duster. So I wore it to school. A couple of days later the band director came up and asked if I was wearing a trenchcoat at school. I looked at him and said no, I was wearing a duster since it was raining. The next year they disallowed wearing them, and he had made comments about me without using my name.

I did not buy it for that reason, I had it prior to that. Wore it many times. RR is prolly the same way. Her neck gets cold, so she wraps it up.......

alfadriver
alfadriver New Reader
5/29/08 11:14 a.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Kinda on the same token, but I graduated after the whole Columbine incident. It was a rainy day and my rain coat was a Duster. So I wore it to school. A couple of days later the band director came up and asked if I was wearing a trenchcoat at school. I looked at him and said no, I was wearing a duster since it was raining. The next year they disallowed wearing them, and he had made comments about me without using my name. I did not buy it for that reason, I had it prior to that. Wore it many times. RR is prolly the same way. Her neck gets cold, so she wraps it up.......

You

Are

Kidding

Me.

All I can do is sit here and shake my head. This whole RR shake up is stupid, but banning rain coats w/ hoods is just idiotic. Holy overraction, batman.

E-

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/29/08 11:23 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I could just see a date between Wally and Rachel. She starts talking and he politely places his finger over her lips and reminds her that talking is for the TV, dating is for eating hot wings.

Do you think she smells like funnel cakes?

Wally
5/29/08 11:25 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
John Brown wrote: I could just see a date between Wally and Rachel. She starts talking and he politely places his finger over her lips and reminds her that talking is for the TV, dating is for eating hot wings.
Do you think she smells like funnel cakes?

I'm almost sure she does.

Josh
Josh Reader
5/29/08 11:50 a.m.

Michelle Malkin is a raving lunatic. I am disappointed with Dunkin Donuts for capitulating to her nonsense so readily and pulling the ad. Then again... remember Fred the baker? He looks kinda like an arab... maybe she's on to something :).

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
5/29/08 11:56 a.m.

I heard about this on the radio the other day and I just can't believe how idiotic people are getting these days. Next thing you know everyone will be issued state approved uniforms so that no one can be offended by what others are wearing.

Hell I have a solid tan shemagh that I take with me when I'm working in the field. Helps give some protection from the sun keeping my neck from being fried and some of the areas I go to are prone to dust and sand storms (though not as large as those in the East) so its nice to have a cover for that. In my opinion it is a nice functional piece of "clothing". Heck with me doing so much outdoors much of what I wear is military because its functional. Obviously I'm in a militia out to over throw the government because of what I wear. Even my camera bag is an old german military pack.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/29/08 12:22 p.m.

MOTHER OF GOD!

And i thought she was only involved in her tasty adventures. Turns out shes a terrorist.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
5/29/08 12:36 p.m.

Uh.

really?

I'm just speechless.

minimac
minimac Dork
5/29/08 12:43 p.m.

She deserves to get yanked for wearing that. Anyone who thinks that makes a fashion statement should be shot. theposterformerlyknownasminimac,nowthefashionnazi.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/29/08 12:52 p.m.

10 bucks she bought it on the street someplace in NYC thinking it was "cute"...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 1:17 p.m.

Oh man, now we have NAZIs and Jihadists in the same post. Why is there a black helicopter hovering around the new GRM world domination headquarters?

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/29/08 2:24 p.m.

Could be wose. Can you imagine if they'd hired an Arab woman to do the ad, and then pulled it because some people thought she looked like a terrorist? Ouch.

J

Wally
5/29/08 2:34 p.m.

They are being sold on every corner here, probably by terrorists now that I think about it.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
5/29/08 3:09 p.m.

This issue is stupid ... Damn Fox News and MM for being assholes. It's total racism and fear mongering BS.

Lets look at the logical thought process.... Because RR is wearing something that resembles something Muslim men wear when they're in the dessert (BTW many Americans and non Muslims wear the same things because they're functional) ... All Muslim men are obviously terrorists ... RR is a terrorist, or at least making some sort of anti-American statement

... BTW RR is HOT... but she has man hands, Yum-o!

jeff

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
5/29/08 4:11 p.m.

Is it just me, or does "Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad" sound just a little like "Dunkin' Donuts, Mohammed Jihad"?

:twisted:

seann
seann New Reader
5/29/08 5:06 p.m.

I imagine Michelle Malkin sitting at home thinking: "I can't believe people are buying this nonsense". It's these guy's job to misinterpret, misrepresent and blow shit out of proportion. There is quite a demand for that kind of entertainment.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
5/29/08 6:07 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: This issue is stupid ...

You can say that again though I'm surprised MSNBC hasn't got Olbermann on a Dunkin Donuts binge until the ad ban is lifted.

littleturquoiseb wrote: ... something that resembles something Muslim men wear when they're in the dessert (BTW many Americans and non Muslims wear the same things because they're functional)

The keffiyeh is often an outward symbol many Muslim men wear to indicate an affinity or affiliation with a larger opinion or group. Specific colors and patterns have graduated to symbolize several things about their wearers such as green for the Hamas group or the fishnet pattern Yasser Arafat and Fatah are commonly noted for. Generally speaking, red or black patterned with white is an outward statement that a Muslim man has or has not yet completed a pilgrimage to Mecca. By and large though, it's a functional garment... not like a kilt. ;)

For bonus points, briefly outline the Sunni/Shia conflict. Hint, the militant types don't wear nametags like Ahmad Sunni or Bob the Shia so just how is it they know whom to try hurting? Hmmm?

(I've had to learn a lot of this stuff for my job.) [/boring]

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/29/08 6:33 p.m.

I don't know, I find my kilt to be quite functional... from a ventilation standpoint anyway...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/29/08 10:31 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: ... BTW RR is HOT... but she has man hands, Yum-o! jeff

...and she has a chainsmoker's voice. But, she's wealthy and she can cook, so she's a score.

Regardless--forget about that pesky war and the physically challenged economy--ZOMG!!!1!1! Rachael Ray is wearing a "terrorist" scarf!!!!1!1!1!1!1!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8RQF50N0BKH6Ga6eQQtQIlzpZg0utB4d0jo0unqbqnwk2OGnJdz0TkdKrOVRwSy1