Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/9/24 6:03 p.m.

I know that there are paint color regs for stuff these days, anyone know if there were back then?

Yes, it is for a Challenge vehicle.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/9/24 7:19 p.m.

There were certainly color standards for planes in WWII.  E.g. Army Air Corps were olive drab at the start of the war with the appropriate insignias (it changed during the war).  I personally prefer the early war insignias.  Of course, later in the war, to save time and money, they delivered a lot of planes without paint.

Some of the navy patrol bombers had some nice blue schemes also (this particular plane is based very near me).

Some of the pre-war stuff was rather colorful, if are looking to go that way.

On September 16th, 1940, Army Air Forces Bulletin No.41 Color Card for Camouflage Finishes was issued to standardize Army Air Force colors, specifically to help identify the flat or matte color shades. The specification contained eight matte color car chips each 3”x1” and these chips would become the standard colors for the US Army Air Forces prior to its entry into World War II.

The Colors were as follows: Dark Olive Drab No.41, Medium Green No.42, Neutral Grey No.43. Black No 44. Insignia red No.45, Insignia White No.46, Insignia Blue No.47, Identification Yellow No.48.

https://www.aircorpsart.com/blog/WWII-color-codes/

https://www.theworldwars.net/resources/file.php?r=camo_usaaf#early

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/9/24 7:27 p.m.

I berkeleyin love this place

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/10/24 6:45 a.m.

Lou Conter, the last survivor of the USS Arizona from Pearl Harbor, went on to fly Black Cat Catalina flying boats in the Pacific.  

So, black is an easy option.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/10/24 7:18 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Lou Conter, the last survivor of the USS Arizona from Pearl Harbor, went on to fly Black Cat Catalina flying boats in the Pacific.  

So, black is an easy option.

Nope.  There's a specific B-17 tail piece that I want to follow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gW43VWL5SeQZunLNDL6swPdFkuJBmXaB8xxhxLBZf7VulyzV4o9Zk4zMdCXACsjp