1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/11/19 10:00 a.m.

I need a new backpack for traveling. The cheapo that has served reasonably well is now disintegrating even though it hasn't seen THAT many trips. I figured since the Hive knows everything about everything I might as well ask about backpacks.

Use pattern:

This is mainly my sidekick to the big check bag when I'm traveling for work, which means flying, cabs, hotels etc. I do this 5-10 times a year for up to a week at a time. The backpack serves as my carry on but I usually stuff it under the seat in front of me instead of using the overhead. It holds all my electronics - OTE headphones, cell chargers, battery pack, various cords, a Kindle, etc. - as well as a book or two, a hat, some cigars if I take any for that trip, and some basic personal care items. Sometimes I throw a change of clothes in there if I'm doing transfers and there's an increased likelihood of losing my main bag. I also use it as a main bag for quick personal overnights or light-pack weekends. Gets used as a day bag for personal travel as well.

Requirements:

• Lots of internal organizational pockets to manage cords, electronics, etc. 
  • Not too big to fit under an aero-plane seat, not too small to hold a couple tshirts and a pair of jeans with other stuff
  • Not so heavy I hate carrying it, not so light it falls apart.
  • two actual straps so it can be worn as a backpack for hands free airport travel
  • No tactical military crap. I'd rather not project that image in some of the places I travel, I'm not that guy.
  • Wilder colors or outdoorsy look could be ok. I like different.
  • An internal laptop sleeve or pocket would be great, but not necessarily a deal killer.
  • Outside pockets or means of holding a water bottle and some sunglasses is a plus
  • High enough quality that it will last but cheap enough it's not difficult to justify. This is a pretty wide range.

So - hit with teh linzkz

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/11/19 10:28 a.m.
JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
4/11/19 10:33 a.m.

Lite Force Sling Pack

I have one of these. It checks all the blocks except:

Only has one strap; stick your arm and head through the strap for a cross back carry. Does wind up being remarkably secure and added bonus that you can rotate the bag around your body to access stuff without taking it off.

Depending on your tolerance level, it is slightly tacti-cool. There's a lot of that going around. It is available in plain black though, and you can slap whatever ridiculous not-tactical Velcro patches you might have to make it less super-soldier.

Don't think it has a laptop sleeve, but I do think it has a snap-closure retaining strap or something like that to secure a small laptop or tablet.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/19 10:39 a.m.

I've been traveling with a Timbuk2 backpack for a couple of years now and it's holding up pretty well. Doesn't look like I can find this particular model on their website so there is a chance that it's discontinued.

Has a fold-out laptop holder on the back that is TSA approved so most of the time you don't have to take the laptop out of the bag, and it fits under the seat even when fully loaded with two laptops, two phones, power supplies for them, and an eReader and other assorted junk.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/11/19 10:43 a.m.

Good stuff so far, particularly ebags. I actually have a custom Timbuk2 messenger bag I use for this some, but the true backpack version works better. John - I've tried sling bags. Not for me.

BoxheadTim
4/11/19 10:52 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Yeah, mine's a backpack. I hate messenger bags, especially when trying to run through the airport because I timed things slightly wrong.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 10:54 a.m.

I bought my Timbuk2 off Ebay.  Though messenger bag it was new yet discontinued.  

Jpbrienp
Jpbrienp New Reader
4/11/19 11:19 a.m.

I travel pretty much every other week for work. I know it’s a bit expensive but well worth the money. I’ve had mine since Christmas . Always gets stuffed under the seat in front of me and not a blemish to show for it. 

https://www.nomatic.com/pages/nomatic-backpack?gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9q_Fik5roxQeooOxmaGavMMBznlunV4ruKnPyQTKdO1ack6AjUh22RoC8m8QAvD_BwE#nav

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/11/19 11:47 a.m.
mtn said:

Ebags. 

https://www.ebags.com/category/backpacks/b/ebags

I'd probably go with one of these two: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582?productid=10317756

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10395044

Excellent quality, excellent warranty, and they're really good in terms of usage and storage.

I dunno fella.  Those two look a little, shall we say, dainty?

I've used an old JanSport for decades.  It's finally starting to fall apart.

Kids have had good luck with SwissGear.  They load them up with about 90 pounds of textbooks and a laptop.  They can last two full school years, and they get positively BEAT on.  Amazingly durable.  Lots of zipped pockets.

If your primary use is for travel, maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-1900-Scansmart-Laptop-Backpack/dp/B006HFJA12/ref=asc_df_B006HFJA12/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071104488&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1259973932220915537&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051867&hvtargid=pla-379945440384&psc=1

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/11/19 12:09 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I have a version of this but with a few more zippers.  Probably too many compartments but really heavy duty and works as a carry-on/travel bag.  +1 for Swissgear.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
4/11/19 12:11 p.m.

I replaced my failing work backpack last year because I couldn't be seen in front of customers with it anymore.  Searched around for something a little different and came up with this Osprey pack.  It has done pretty much everything you listed including weekend overnight bag, biking, hiking, along with work laptop and other gear.  I went with the orange just for something different and love the bag.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/flapjack-pack-FLPJKPACK.html

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
4/11/19 12:27 p.m.

Can't go wrong with Osprey.  Sure they cost money (and are now made overseas) but they have a 100% no questions asked lifetime warranty and will even work with you to exchange a bag in the field in lieu of making you send something back when you get home.  Head on over to your closest outoorsy place (REI is good), try a few, pick your favorite.  They come in different colors from Mild to Wild.  My wife and I both have them and they have been excellent.  I travel for work a bit and can do a whole week's worth of stuff including computers, clothes, safety stuff, etc in a Osprey Farpoint 55.  Its super sweet because the little bag unzips as a day pack and when the little bag is unzipped the big bag goes easy as a carry-on.  Travel to Mexico, Ireland, all over the southeast for work, etc with just this one bag.  My wife has the Porter 46 and it works well for her.  Its basically a nice big heavy duty backpack.  Between that and a purse was all she took for 10 days in Ireland.  

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/farpoint-55-FARPNT55.html?sku=10000289&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=fy18_us_ecomm_shopping_google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=smart

I also have a Green Guru backpack.  Super well made in USA if that matters to you.  Now discontinued, but their commuter bag is similar.  Very much worth the money but I think I paid only 65 clams for it a few years ago.  

https://www.greengurugear.com/collections/bags

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/11/19 12:32 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
mtn said:

Ebags. 

https://www.ebags.com/category/backpacks/b/ebags

I'd probably go with one of these two: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582?productid=10317756

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10395044

Excellent quality, excellent warranty, and they're really good in terms of usage and storage.

I dunno fella.  Those two look a little, shall we say, dainty?

Not sure what you mean exactly by dainty, but they're the right size he wants, and they hold up very well through all kinds of abuse. My referee bag is made by the same company, with very similar construction to the backpack I have of theirs, and it has been through all sorts of abuse and still looks nearly brand new 4 years later. And it gets used basically daily in the winter.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
4/11/19 12:50 p.m.

For light, but durable backpacks, I've been extremely pleased with Osprey bags. My go-to is a DayLite, but you might want one of their slightly larger models. It's followed me to a few outdoor music festivals and other trips and held up juuuuust fine. I appreciate that it's super-light-weight and super-well-built.

For a bit more durable at the expense of weight, I'm a sucker for RedOxx stuff and have one of their mini ruck sacks. They aren't cheap, but they are pretty bomb-proof. You might like their SkyTrain or other more explicitly travel-targeted items. I hate unnecessary pockets, so I went with the cavernous interior bag instead. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/19 12:53 p.m.

Check and see if there is an Eddie Bauer warehouse close to you.  I got a returned EB backpack for $8 4 years ago and it still looks new.  I use it every day, I do IT support for 4 different offices so the backpack is my mobile office and so it gets loaded down.  

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but the deals at the warehouse are crazy.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/11/19 1:09 p.m.

Northface Surge II (or whatever it's modern equivalent is)

https://www.rei.com/product/833724/the-north-face-surge-ii-daypack

I've been traveling with one for 5 or so years. Including serving as my primary carry on when heading back and forth to Afghanistan 8 or so times.

Really comfortable, deep front pockets, padded laptop section that can swallow a 17 inch laptop and a tablet, nice internal organizers, and a spot for all the rest of your stuff. It's been pretty tough in general, even when it's really overloaded with gear (I liked to wrap my body armor and plates around it.)

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/19 1:36 p.m.

A vote against Oakley.

I had a bag stolen while out of town, and bought an Oakley messenger (also while out of town) to replace it. The design was such that when loaded, the flap was not fully closed. Much of this was because, after a few weeks of use, the stiff vinyl across the top developed a crease that allowed the bag to bend out of shape. Within a couple of months, the crease was a crack.

The expensive bag fell apart in six months.

I own a TImbuk2 messenger bag that has something like eleven years of regular use. The reflective tabs have curled slightly, and the light putty-colored rubberized inner lining looks a little dirty, even when clean. No other sign of wear - it looks brand new.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/11/19 2:36 p.m.

Interesting choices here. I like the Osprey packs but most of the ones I'm finding don't have enough small orginizational pockets for my taste. I'm a separate-pocket-for-everything kind of guy.  Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the ebags Professional Weekender - just slightly larger than the slim linked above. I realize I'm giving up stowing under seat but it might be the easier option. On some of the flights lately the extra foot room would have been nice and I always fly Comfort+ so overhead space is rarely an issue.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
4/11/19 4:13 p.m.

I do agree that my Ospreys are a bit weak on pockets.  My big bag has only 3 or 4 plus a few pouches, a few more would be nice.  Since I am mainly taking clothes and shoes on longer trips I use packing cubes to get around the lack of pockets.  Packing cubes are a whole 'nother thing but they are pretty great in my opinion. 

I think what they lack in pockets they make up for in comfort and thus far utility, but if you are a pocket fanatic you would be let down.  

My Green Guru bag is the tits on pockets.  Has (of the top of my head) two sleeves on either side big enough to swallow a 32oz Nalgene bottle comfortably - as my water vessel of choice this is a big one, a front pocket with a small zippered pocket at the bottom and pen/phone organizer dealy toward the top, then the main pocket has a laptop sleeve big enough for a big ol workstation grade laptop (Lenovo W540) plus another full size zippered tablet sized pouch right next to it.  

If I could combine the Green Guru daypack with the Osprey larger pack I would be beyond happy.  As it is the Osprey bag is super comfy and stores a lot in a small space, but is weak on pockets.  

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/19 7:54 p.m.

I have always used OGIO and can't say enough good about them.  When I traveled 3 weeks a month, a backpack was my constant companion.  I carried a Macbook, an iPad, a pouch of cables and chargers, paperwork, a camera, pens, ID, gum, and a change of clothes pretty much at all times.  Plus specific literature, books, and magazines.  Never wore one out, never had one break, and the price was reasonable. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
4/11/19 8:18 p.m.

+A million for Green Guru. I had a Commuter backpack for 4 years and took it to Mexico, California, Colorado and all over the Carribean loaded to the gills and it never gave me a problem. Great customer service and made in Colorado. I sold mine and switched to one of their smaller bags but recommend the Commuter all day every day.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/12/19 8:34 a.m.

Well, I ordered a Professional Weekender from ebags- in Brushed Indigo blue. I think this is a pretty good combo for work travel, plus they are having a sale that's over 40% off - putting it under $100.  I really like the Osprey bags too, so I may pick up one of those more suited to outdoor and backwoods use so that I can keep the ebags one looking a little nicer for business use.

Thanks for all the input!

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/19 12:16 p.m.

I'm a bit more on the hiking side of things, but I got a Kelty at BassPro that is the bees knees for me.  It has pockets everywhere and multiple zippers for each compartment.  The pocket for the bota bag is really nice for vodka too.  Beats paying for drinks on a plane.

Mrdavide
Mrdavide New Reader
10/6/24 10:55 a.m.

I've been using the Timbuk2 Authority Backpack for the past few years, and it's been fantastic for my travel needs. It's got plenty of compartments to keep everything organized, including a dedicated laptop sleeve. It's also comfortable to wear for extended periods, and the build quality is excellent. Plus, it's not overly expensive, so you can feel good about the investment.  

BoxheadTim
10/6/24 11:11 a.m.

My Timbuk2 was finally showing some wear after almost eight years as the zipper for the laptop compartment threw the towel. Timbuk2 repaired it under warranty so all I had to pay for was the shipping to their facility. Can't complain about that for a backpack that seen some extensive travel during that time and effectively cost me something like $20 annually.

It did mean that I was without a decent backpack for a while and as I had to travel, I ended up buying a the 26L variant of the Goruck GR2. That's probably my favourite backpack right now - it opens flat, so it's much easier to pack and feels like it has more space, or at least more accessible space than my Timbuk2, despite it being roughly the same size and still easily fits under an airplane seat.

Downsides? It veers strictly on the functional side, so an elegant accessory it isn't. The laptop compartment only really has space for a single laptop, but there is a pocket in the main compartment that can hold a second 14" laptop and that works for me. The elephant in room is price, these are HFM? although I bought a model that was on sale and the price was only Ooof instead of HFM. It is marked as built in USA, though, whereas my Timbuk2 is made in Indonesia. But either way, if it's as robust as they claim, I probably won't have to buy a replacement backpack, ever.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4yvwQWopXOyQMsjnivJJON8Gz3Aedu1nNcsWLji8JjcjktFjeOicdwL8arfVoLui