1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/23 1:07 p.m.

Our rechargeable flashlight seems to have given up the ghost.

Uses and desires: taking out the dog, blackouts (although we have lanterns, too), not junk.

I don’t need something that will put a spot on the moon, but light is good. Long life is good, too. Given a choice, I prefer a standard outlet to USB for charging. 

Have a recommendation? I see lots offered in the wilds of Amazon, but I’d like something that lasts more than a few weeks.

Thanks and go.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/18/23 1:17 p.m.

I have a spare streamlight I can hook you up with if we cross paths at any events or something.  They are literally the best flashlights on earth.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/23 1:19 p.m.

Whatever your preferred brand of rechargeable cordless tools sells. We have Milwaukee tools and the Milwaukee flashlights get used all the time. When we go camping I bring two and I sit them on top of the awning so they light up the campsite. They might be a little heavy compared to something you can put in your pocket but I'm quite used to carrying them around and they have an adjustable head and a nice wide base for putting them down to shine light on something.

David S. Wallens
11/18/23 1:45 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

I have a spare streamlight I can hook you up with if we cross paths at any events or something.  They are literally the best flashlights on earth.

Thank you for the offer. And checking out their page now.

David S. Wallens
11/18/23 1:47 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

That probably does make the most sense–or at least some. Maybe get a light from the Milwaukee M12 system....

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/18/23 1:49 p.m.

OOOOOooohhhh  a FlAshlight.....

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/23 2:11 p.m.

top one lights up the world and hurts your eyes when shined at.

the bottom one is my daily carry. Got to have a flashlight on a submarine.

both led and usb.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/23 5:46 p.m.

May I suggest an alternative? Lots of flashlights use 18650 batteries, which are rechargable. Benefit is that when the battery dies, you swap in a new one, but you still avoid the problem of disposable batteries.

Will
Will UberDork
11/18/23 6:06 p.m.

I like the Streamlight Macrostream (not the Microstream).

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/23 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I can't find a decent 18650 battery to save my @ss. They all charge fine the first time or two, then either won't take a charge or won't hold a charge.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/23 7:45 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

If the ability to put it in your pocket doesn't matter what he says !!

I have a Makita 18v that runs all day, literally over 24 hours, on a battery and I have six batteries on hand. I also have an older Bosch which has two light settings so there's another couple of days. I would go with the flat bottom battery packs rather than the 10.8 volt Milwaukee for sitting purposes.

As an aside my nearest big box store has hairbrush shaped LED lights, hook on the top, magnet on the back which run seemingly forever on a couple of AA batteries. I have, at least, a couple stuck to my tool chest and in the car. About five of your dollars.

preach
11/19/23 12:59 a.m.
Will said:

I like the Streamlight Macrostream (not the Microstream).

There is one in the Ms' purse that I bought by mistake when I lost my original rechargeable Micro.

I have also carried battery micros prior to getting the rechargeable ones.

preach
11/19/23 1:06 a.m.

Some working folk carry a briefcase, I carry:

leatherman wave, zebra pen, micro streamlight, starrett 3" scale.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/19/23 6:04 a.m.

I've got a NEBO 6726 Slyde King in the race trailer that I've been very happy with. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/23 3:41 p.m.

Flashlights are one of those things that some people are really rabid about, and there are so many options out there, so many coming and going, that it can be really tough to figure out where to go.  I have assembled a kind of random assortment that, through sheer accident, works pretty well.  See if anything here strikes a chord with you.

Milwaukee M18 2735-20: Impulse purchase at Daddy Weekender because they were cheap and I'm on the Milwaukee M18 battery scheme.
PRO: Cheap, versatile, and useful; can be set down on a flat surface and aimed where you need it; crazy long run time; our M18 batteries are usually charged up and ready.
CON: It was cheap because it is cheap; does not look or feel as substantial or robust as a Milwaukee product should; bulky; proprietary batteries are heavy and expensive; not particularly impressive in any way.

Stinger LED: Traded in an incandescent Stinger on the tool truck a lot of years ago. This one sits in a wall-mounted cradle charger and is the go-to when someone just needs a flashlight.  Streamlight stuff is typically marketed toward professionals and generally built to take a pretty good pounding. Some of them are serviceable to some degree when things wear out or break. 
PRO: Tough enough to be used carelessly and in any weather; multiple brightness modes with intuitive interface; strobe function is easily activated and is a fantastic attention getter; robust charging cradle is easily mounted to a wall, etc.
CON: Beam is not adjustable; too big and heavy for really convenient pocket carry; not the cheapest option

Anker Bolder LC40: Purchased for work use from the giant internet place.  Goes to work with me every day and on tags along on construction site visits.
PRO: Bright as hell; multiple brightness settings, strobe, and SOS modes; USB-C charge port, so charging can happen almost anywhere; just about small enough for pocket carry.
CON: Reflector is larger diameter than body, so it doesn't slide in and out of pockets easily; power off and mode selection are not intuitive; sharp edges and unnecessary tacticool styling; quality is reasonable, but probably not BIFL.

LitezAll glow-in-the-dark 3-cell AAA COB LED: An impulse buy from a point-of-purchase display at the aforementioned Daddy Weekender. Much like the ubiquitous Harbor Freight cheapies, but not quite as cheap. We each keep one in our natural disaster bugout bags and the kid carries one in his backpack. Despite being so cheap they are almost free, they're actually really useful, especially for kids. 
PRO: Usefully bright, general-purpose flood beam; dirt cheap; simple on-off tailcap switch is simple and intuitive enough for anyone to use; nice size for pocket carry; ideal for backup or just-in-case backup a kid's backpack, bugout bag, blackout box, glovebox, etc.; AAA batteries are always available.
CON: Glow-in-the-dark only works after prolonged exposure to bright light, which is not the environment flashlights live in; rubber (silicone?) exterior grip sleeve cuts easily; alkaline batteries will eventually leak if left connected (I cut a thin plastic disc to act as an insulator between battery holder and tailcap when in storage); very short throw.

Streamlight Nano keychain light: As the name implies, it's an absolutely tiny little keychain light.  
PRO: Costs less than a good hamburger; unexpectedly useful and undeniably handy; goes wherever your keys go, so you always have at least some light with you; adds almost no bulk or weight to your pocket; neat little spring clasp makes detaching it easy.
CON: Output is only ten lumens; takes LN41 hearing aid batteries, which are harder to find and have a shorter run time than other options.

Skilhunt E3A single-AAA keychain light: Another one from the giant internet monolith, purchased for the kid's fourth birthday as part of his Altoids tin adventure kit. I'll likely replace the Nanos on Mrs and my keychains with these.
PRO: Really nice build quality, excellent value; larger than the Nano, but much brighter, and still small enough for keychain carry; simple twist interface, so no buttons to fail; a high-CRI version is available; AAA batteries are available everywhere; includes printed instructions, a replacement seal, and heavy duty split rings in two sizes; available in lots of colors for easy identification.
CON: Not quite as bright as the LitezAll 3-cell unit; no tailcap switch or multiple modes, so probably too simple for flashlight/tech nerds.

Thus concludes my muddying of the flashight waters.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
11/19/23 4:04 p.m.

Anybody ever try a Fenix E Star? Looks interesting. A little pricey at $35ish. Hand pumped, but can take regular and rechargeable AA batteries and charge with a USB. Max output is only 100 Lumens. I had a cheap hand pump flashlight as a kid that was probably 10Lumen or less. I think it eventually broke from 11yrold me repeatedly trying to see how fast I could pump the handle...

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
11/20/23 8:55 a.m.

My Pocket EDC is a Streamlight Micro USB.  Use it for everything.  Only downside is that it's micro usb charge port instead of USB-C

I bought a ThruNite Archer Mini off of Amazon which is roughly the same form factor (a little shorter), but USB-C port.  It's decent, but I like the switch on the Streamlights better.

I carry an Olight Perun 2 Headlamp in my backpack, which I admittedly don't use much.  I also carry an LED Cob headlamp in my backpack with a motion sensor which is convenient and gets far more use

The Olight has a magnetic base and is a 90* body so I can hang it from my backpack shoulder strap and have it face forward, or if I'm working underneath the hood of the car, or underneath, stick it to something metal with the magnet.

That said, 99% of the time, I end up using the Micro USB Streamlight.  My Dad, My best friend, and my girlfriend all now carry the same

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/20/23 12:06 p.m.
preach said:

Some working folk carry a briefcase, I carry:

leatherman wave, zebra pen, micro streamlight, starrett 3" scale.

Is the holster from leatherman, or another source?

If someplace else, please share the source.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/23 12:48 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

They are literally the best flashlights on earth.

They are the best I've found on this earth. I prefer the non-rechargeable if it's going to sit in a drawer or vehicle for weeks or months between uses. 

I daily carried a ProTac HL for a lot of years when I was actually working for a living. It is still my go-to light for most things. Bright, extremely durable, always works. They also have the best belt holster on the market. 

20200519_111438.jpg

preach
11/20/23 1:11 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I got it from Leatherman twice. I wore one out, 2nd one (this) has rivited corners so has held up great.

I just tried to replace it but I could not find this one now.

Rugged (I crawl through to bowels of submarines), 2 side holders, one thin pocket inside (3" scale fits great but I think it's for the little accessory bits). Vert or Horz belt set up. First one was $6, 2nd was $12, now unobtanium.

If you find them for sale please let me know.

preach
11/20/23 2:18 p.m.

https://www.leatherman.com/nylon-sheath-w-pockets-549.html

No more leather I guess. I had one of these too, it did not last terribly long in my line of work. That's why I went leather.

I should take a pic of how beat up the outer snap is on the one I am using.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/20/23 2:54 p.m.

In reply to preach :

Thanks for the info. 

My crunch came with a nylon sheath that wore out and I replaced it with one of the leatherman box sheaths several years ago. 

The pockets would be a nice feature, and add to the versatility by keeping the flashlight and pen handy. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/20/23 3:59 p.m.

My hot take:

After a certain point, additional lumens just make things harder to see. If a flashlight is so glaring that I have to hold the light off axis to read a tag in an engine bay then it is a waste .

I carry a Streamlight microstream USB in my shirt pocket 40+ hours a week simply because it isn't as bright as the regular streamlight. The HF Braun USB rechargeable pen light is about the same brightness so I have a few of those in drawers too.

preach
11/20/23 4:37 p.m.

Snap:

The dark bit at 1oclock is a hole warm through.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/23 8:28 p.m.
Trent said:

My hot take:

After a certain point, additional lumens just make things harder to see. If a flashlight is so glaring that I have to hold the light off axis to read a tag in an engine bay then it is a waste .

I carry a Streamlight microstream USB in my shirt pocket 40+ hours a week simply because it isn't as bright as the regular streamlight. The HF Braun USB rechargeable pen light is about the same brightness so I have a few of those in drawers too.

Yes, absolutely! A little penlight is just the ticket for dark corners and tight spaces. I completely forgot about the cheap but totally serviceable Dorcy AAA penlight kicking around here somewhere for underdash peekaboo and kid/pet ear inspections and stuff, purchased long before USB rechargeable stuff became the standard.

In reply to Preach:

You might keep an eye on Shopgoodwill listings. Lots of nearly-new multitools and pocket knives come through there. Their listing titles and descriptions aren't always great, but you're probably as likely to find one there as anyone else.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DBVlTkCsFfFv12EwkTIZyao5oDMtGMqDWz2NBVcQbwtZ9l81mQxJlzxGSLWU5hUC