Why doesn't this idea exist anymore?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/15/16 8:15 p.m.

Nadar and Lawyers.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/16 8:22 p.m.

They were there to bypass tariff laws IIRC.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/15/16 8:27 p.m.

Correct, it was/is illegal to import a two seat truck into the US so Subaru carpeted the beds and added two seats to skirt the rules. I think the rule has since been tightened.

Read up on the Chicken Tax. You'll be amazed if you are not familiar with it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/16 8:52 p.m.

Apparently, you guys don't live in the South.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
11/15/16 9:04 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Correct, it was/is illegal to import a two seat truck into the US so Subaru carpeted the beds and added two seats to skirt the rules. I think the rule has since been tightened. Read up on the Chicken Tax. You'll be amazed I'd you are not familiar with it.

A fascinating read! Thanks! I was quite unaware of that.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/16 9:09 p.m.

Bass boat seat on top of a dog box is not the same.

Long ago, I used to ride around in back of a truck fairly often, but I haven't seen anyone do that in years. Must be dangerous or something. I just wonder why you never see removable jump seats.. in warm climates especially.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
11/15/16 9:20 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Bass boat seat on top of a dog box is not the same. Long ago, I used to ride around in back of a truck fairly often, but I haven't seen anyone do that in years. Must be dangerous or something. I just wonder why you never see removable jump seats.. in warm climates especially.

It actually puzzles me as to why it isn't legal to mount a seat with seatbelts in the bed of a Ute or truck?

It can't be due to roll over risk, otherwise convertibles wouldn't be legal

It can't be due to rear facing seats, I still see station wagons with an aftermarket rear facing row fitted now and then.

Then again, why would I expect laws to make sense, plenty of them don't.

qued
qued New Reader
11/15/16 9:28 p.m.

In regards to the chicken tax Ford pulled the same deal with the Transat Connect, which is made in Turkey.

Per wikipedia:

"Ford imports all Transit Connects as passenger vehicles with rear windows, rear seats, and rear seat-belts to circumvent the 25% tariff on imported light trucks.[1] The vehicles are exported from Turkey on cargo ships owned by Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, arrive in Baltimore, and are converted into commercial vehicles at WWL Vehicle Services Americas Inc. facility: rear windows are replaced with metal panels and rear seats removed (except on wagons).[1] The removed parts are recycled.[1] The process exploited a perceived loophole in the customs definition of a commercial vehicle. As cargo does not need seats with seat belts or rear windows, presence of those items exempts the vehicle from commercial vehicle status. The conversion cost Ford hundreds of dollars per van but saved thousands over having to pay the tax.[1]"

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
11/15/16 11:17 p.m.

Of course, the funny thing about the Transit Connect is that it was Ford Motor Company that lobbied for the Chicken Tax in the first place. They didn't want to compete with the Volkswagen Type 2 pickup.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/16/16 5:03 a.m.

Ford got into the game long before the Connect. The Ford Courier side stepped the rule by arriving from Mazda as a knock down kit.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/16/16 7:36 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: They were there to bypass tariff laws IIRC.

Yes purxactly.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/16/16 7:36 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Apparently, you guys don't live in the South.

Lawn chairs don't count.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/16/16 7:38 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: Correct, it was/is illegal to import a two seat truck into the US so Subaru carpeted the beds and added two seats to skirt the rules. I think the rule has since been tightened. Read up on the Chicken Tax. You'll be amazed I'd you are not familiar with it.
A fascinating read! Thanks! I was quite unaware of that.

Not sure why, but IIRC, Isuzu first imported the Troopers without rear seats to make it a two seater.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/16/16 7:48 a.m.

If we're wondering about unsafe rear passenger compartments of yesteryear. What happened to the rumble seat? My Miata would be way more useful if I could flip the trunk backwards and put two kids back there.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/16/16 7:58 a.m.

In NC it is legal to ride in the bed of a pickup truck for anyone over 16. It is even legal for a child if there is an adult back there with them. Seriously. Not really sure how having an adult supervising back there makes it safe for the children, but whatever. Seems to me it either should be allowed or not allowed, but whatever.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/16/16 8:21 a.m.

Michigan only outlawed riding in pickup beds roughly 17 years ago.
Sadly, I grew up doing just that.

Country roads would sit on the wheel wells, highways was backs up against the cab.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/16/16 8:57 a.m.

There are so many aspects to this topic, it is really very interesting. Suby did it to skirt the chicken tax. The modern prevalence of various long cabs reduces the demand for bed seating. I imagine having OEM seating meeting all safety standards would be cost prohibitive. Lastly, state laws vary so wildly that any market for it would be largely localized.

IIHS AAA

That said, in bed seating, either folding jump seats or low back plastic racing seats and appropriate seatbelts, is mod #1 if I get a truck that I don't plan to flatbed. Legal in NY.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/16 9:17 a.m.

The Samurai lost its back seats around the time Ford switched the Bronco's top fasteners to (security?) torx bolts. Wrangler roll bars moved to the rear to cover back seat passengers.

Then again, Amigo, Tracker, Sidekick, Sportage and Freelander.

Crosscabriolet? I know the Evoque Cab has active rollover protection systems.

It might just be liability, or it might be a reg, but there was some meaningful movement through the 90's that makes me doubt we'll see another open SUV without occupant rollover protection for all seats.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/16/16 9:23 a.m.

I remember looking up the laws about riding in the back of a pickup and was surprised at how little laws around it existed.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
11/16/16 9:30 a.m.
daeman wrote:
OHSCrifle wrote: Bass boat seat on top of a dog box is not the same. Long ago, I used to ride around in back of a truck fairly often, but I haven't seen anyone do that in years. Must be dangerous or something. I just wonder why you never see removable jump seats.. in warm climates especially.
It actually puzzles me as to why it isn't legal to mount a seat with seatbelts in the bed of a Ute or truck? It can't be due to roll over risk, otherwise convertibles wouldn't be legal It can't be due to rear facing seats, I still see station wagons with an aftermarket rear facing row fitted now and then. Then again, why would I expect laws to make sense, plenty of them don't.

i think the problem in having a seat in the back of a truck is how high the passenger sits, the floor of the bed is higher then the floor of the cab, by the time you have a seat bracket there is a good chance the passengers head would be above the cab which is pretty much instant death in a rollover where in a convertible your head is below the windshield height therefore gives you a better chance. i dont know if that is the exact reason its not legal anymore but it makes sense to me.

here you can see 2 (im guessing average sized) adults with there heads well above the roof of the cab

There are still a few options of open rear seating from the 90's-ish time frame, although not actual trucks

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/16/16 10:16 a.m.

IIRC, the change over on the last gen bronco was a combination of 3 point belts in the back and a 3rd brake light. Both integrated into the cap, making removing it for off road use only. Thus why I want a second to last gen bronco.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/16 9:25 a.m.

I had this thought while staring at my dad's removable 5th wheel hitch, in his truck parked in his pole barn.. That it be cool to make a "summer seat" bench that locks onto the 5th wheel hitch bracket.

The photos above triggered a memory of old broncos and blazers that look pretty similar to a pickup with seats in back.

Anybody remember the 80's TV show Riptide which had an S10 blazer with removable roof (apparently a very rare option done by ASC).

When I was sixteen I wanted that so bad.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/19/16 9:38 a.m.

I vividly remember riding in the back of a friends truck in high school. I also vividly remember the time he tried to jump a railroad crossing and my entire body was inverted above the bed rails with only one hand barley gripping the top of the bed rail keeping me from flying out of the truck. Fun stuff.

Edit; I also remember that when I was young my official position was in the bed of my dads truck if mom was riding with us, it had buckets and a console. It was my job to hand him beers from the cooler as requested, and also to get low when he yelled duck because he saw a cop. The man never went anywhere without a cooler full of beer. I have no idea how, but he never got caught.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aotHYbuVSow8Nc4aZ3VwLw7RZP9HijthbdsfLq06eMeBwksDK9YyLle1ZQ3XrCfo