Spec L-39?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/18 4:27 p.m.

The unlimited class is faster than the jets. Just sayin'

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/8/18 6:53 p.m.

As much as I love the idea of jet racing, did we learn nothing from Goose's untimely passing?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/18 7:10 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

If you've never left your wingman, then you've certainly learned the most valuable lesson.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/9/18 9:19 a.m.

Mucking about with airplanes is a whole other level of "f-you money" that I can barely fathom. I'd imagine fielding a racing jet would be above even F1 team funding.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/18 10:13 a.m.

L-39s are relatively cheap as far as aircraft and jets are concerned. I wouldn't be suprised to learn the unlimiteds spend 10 times the amount as the jets. Unlimiteds is where the berk you money is.

The last " cheap " class is the biplane class. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/18 10:40 a.m.

Somebody’s running a Vampire in that race. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/9/18 11:53 a.m.
Appleseed said:

L-39s are relatively cheap as far as aircraft and jets are concerned.

Only the buy in may be cheap.   Nothing else will be.   

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/9/18 11:54 a.m.
Duke said:

Somebody’s running a Vampire in that race. 

Did you notice how much more runway it needed to get off the ground?   Those early jet engines were seriously underpowered.   

Will
Will UltraDork
4/9/18 5:26 p.m.

Is there anything that would prevent the Collings Foundation from showing up with their Phantom? I mean, other than the fuel bill.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/9/18 6:42 p.m.

The jets are fine, but clearly lack the purely unique sound of the unlimiteds.  The unlimited also add that always present danger of the engines flying apart.

If someone really wanted to throw money at the race (no reason to really) it would be a race of essentially trying to stay sub-sonic.  They do sometimes have the military demo (e.g. F16) do a lap of the course.

It would be great to assemble some of the old school 60's jets that are still flying and do a race.  The F4 would be hilariously (and painfully) loud.  I know there is a flying A4 Skyhawk somewhere which would make for a tight line around the course.  Throw in a Mig 19 and Mig 21 and you would have the loudest race ever.  I think there is still a flying F104 around... that would be brave.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/9/18 7:25 p.m.

If the Phantom ever gets out front, the rest will be lost in the smoke cloud.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/18 7:31 p.m.

F-4s are fast, but an L-39 would eat it alive in the turns. Phantoms are proof that with enough thrust, a brick will fly.

The price of a zero timed Merlin engine for a P-51, stock rebuild, is around $220,000. A L-39 with 400 hours since major overhaul is sitting on Barnstormers right now for $190,000. I stand by my statement. blush

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6bR2i15k2auyiem1kkDodQfU0LWfo6HSDl6ljXgoGW1WvJ2GpW7bjDxPYAkMHKl