1 ... 5 6 7
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/22/11 6:26 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: That one was pretty good though. He, he. I said "Sassafras".

Needs moar bubbles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qja2ptq_p7I

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/22/11 6:31 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
oldsaw wrote: That silver platter disappears in 60 days. If your olfactory senses are so acute, explain why a 365 day extension is unacceptable.
Because of the pipeline? That bill is so knee deep in pork ole' Chris Christie is a lickin' his chops and firin' up the stove! Its bar-b-que time, boys, and your payroll tax cut is tinder in the kiln!

My understanding was that there was no pork Re: Pipeline, only that they mandated that a decision be made on the pipeline rather than letting it remain mired in bureaucracy until next year. If there was actual pork, then berkeley them too.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/22/11 6:50 p.m.

Yep, just that the prez has to make a decision in 60 days.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
12/22/11 7:00 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Well, I dunno. Is there a definition of "pork" now? Hasn't it always been something that someone thought was a good idea? Seems to me like putting crap in a bill that has nothing at all to do with what the bill is dealing with is pretty fair game for the "pork" card.

And as for mired in bureaucracy- haven't the Republicans shut down measure after measure and denied appointment after appointment by miring them in bureaucracy? Seems like it's tough for them to call foul when the Democrats do it on something that sure looks and smells a lot like pork.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
12/22/11 7:14 p.m.

Talk about mired in bureaucracy.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70591.html

Kinda hard to feel sorry for them 'cause they couldn't jam a pipeline into a tax cut bill.

On a lighter note, I've always thought the 1970 Torino GT was an awesome looking car.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 8:01 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Ha! Busted on Semantics! You got the civics lesson smack down! Shows how much you know! Your opinion is useless! Man, well played Phranc one! Impressive. You didn't have to actually talk about what they did at all! You totally Pwned him!

Agreed. If the best argument you can come up with is that? Well..point proven.

fast_eddie_72 wrote: And as for mired in bureaucracy- haven't the Republicans shut down measure after measure and denied appointment after appointment by miring them in bureaucracy? Seems like it's tough for them to call foul when the Democrats do it on something that sure looks and smells a lot like pork.

Bureaucracy is only bad when the Other Side does it.

This is the exact reason that it takes 60 votes to get anything done. Also the same reason there isn't a Consumer Protection Agency head yet. But that could also be because Republicans just don't give a used Xmas bow for the common man. It's much more important to keep the serfs down and the corporations up.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
12/22/11 8:07 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: This is the exact reason that it takes 60 votes to get anything done.

I should have brought that and other points up earli.... oh. I did. Then I realized without some quippy country wit no one cares. We elected W 'cause he wore a flannel shirt and chopped wood. That worked out well.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/22/11 8:35 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: Well, I dunno. Is there a definition of "pork" now? Hasn't it always been something that someone thought was a good idea? Seems to me like putting crap in a bill that has nothing at all to do with what the bill is dealing with is pretty fair game for the "pork" card. And as for mired in bureaucracy- haven't the Republicans shut down measure after measure and denied appointment after appointment by miring them in bureaucracy? Seems like it's tough for them to call foul when the Democrats do it on something that sure looks and smells a lot like pork.

I thought pork was preferential spending. Bridge to nowhere, the Senator blah blah senior center, etc. There was no spending in this one. :shrug:

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/22/11 8:38 p.m.

I think at this point the Tea Party is out, (since they are the ones taking credit for blocking this,) Anybody remember this guy?

Raising taxes didn't work out too well for him.

Wait, when did the Dems want less taxes and the Republicans/Tea Party want more.

I'm confused.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
12/22/11 9:04 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I thought pork was preferential spending. Bridge to nowhere, the Senator blah blah senior center, etc. There was no spending in this one. :shrug:

That's the problem with railing so hard against everything for so long. "Pork" is a BS term for the way our government works. Compromise. I'll give in on this if you give in on that. Is some of it a waste? You bet. A lot of it? Probably. Is some of it good? You bet- but the "liberal media" never does a story of "great things attached to other legislation".

So, what is Pork? It's a divisive rhetorical bomb. But it's hard to draw the connection between a pipeline and a tax cut. Is it pork? Hum. Maybe the Tea folk shouldn't have railed so loud. Kinda looking like hypocrites, either way. And that's the thing. Reality doesn't matter. Just whoever has the best quip. Avuncular wisdom optional, but never hurts. Dems got this one. And we're seeing exactly what it is about Obama that is special. He can turn the tables without coming off like a jerk. Nobody is mad at him for this. Republicans? Hummmm, not looking so hot. Maybe Mitch McConnel will explain what this has to do with a rooster on a fence post in Kansas and all will be well again. But I think the act is looking a little old hat. Romney?! He doesn't ever wear a flannel shirt! Maybe the act isn't so old after all.

Yeah, Obama's the least popular person in America- except for every Republican running for President. Makes him the winner. That's the game they laid out. Didn't count on a guy like Obama coming along and playing it better than they did. If we were smart we wouldn't vote for anyone who ran on the "other guys" negatives. But we aren't. And we do. Yell loud enough that the other guy hates America and people will vote for you. It's a crock of E36 M3. And I lay the blame on one party- damn near lay it on one man- Rove. BS non-issues like gays and abortion. All the yelling and legislation. And what happens. Gays are getting married and abortion is still legal. But it got a lot of folk into the voting booth to vote the party line. 10, 40, 100 years from now? Gays will be getting married, abortion will be legal and they'll still be tossing grenades into the voting booth because it's easier than running on greed alone.

Cone Junky, still worried about me? I've been known to make a point in a non-traditional way. I'm Eddie Felson. I shoot straight pool.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/23/11 8:02 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Talk about mired in bureaucracy. On a lighter note, I've always thought the 1970 Torino GT was an awesome looking car.

agreed

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/11 8:37 a.m.

The low down on what occurred behind the scenes.

The humbling of the House GOP

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/23/11 8:43 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: The low down on what occurred behind the scenes. The humbling of the House GOP

Great article

At least someone in the Republicant party knows higher taxes will lose you elections.

Now the Democraps have something for the upcoming elections other than the last 4 years

November should be interesting.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/23/11 10:42 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: The low down on what occurred behind the scenes. The humbling of the House GOP
Great article At least someone in the Republicant party knows higher taxes will lose you elections. Now the Democraps have something for the upcoming elections other than the last 4 years November should be interesting.

The Democrats hung tough on a 60 day extension and won. The Repubs wanted 365 days and caved.

Since this crap will be replayed in a couple of months, anyone claiming victory (now) doesn't have much to brag about.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/23/11 4:46 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
FlightService wrote:
Great article At least someone in the Republicant party knows higher taxes will lose you elections. Now the Democraps have something for the upcoming elections other than the last 4 years November should be interesting.
The Democrats hung tough on a 60 day extension and won. The Repubs wanted 365 days and caved. Since this crap will be replayed in a couple of months, anyone claiming victory (now) doesn't have much to brag about.

Because the end of the year will reset the tax structure for the people. A mid reporting term reset is much more unlikely.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1rwBmDMcnuYfnbH9920fblfzpntQ6cKVkutfssdzP2yg4pOKcAWLdzJO0MkgFN38