1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 3:00 p.m.

Has anyone built a modern computer inside and old school case? I think that would be awesome to build. I was thinking a computer with a 5 1/2 floppy drive and use an Apple style CD drive so the CD ejects out the floppy drive.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
1/19/12 3:01 p.m.

you can (or could) buy a modern guts C64

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/19/12 3:09 p.m.

I had all of the parts to make a C64 with modern parts at one point. I shelved the project after I had simply lost interest.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/19/12 3:17 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: you can (or could) buy a modern guts C64

Those things are so pimp.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/19/12 3:19 p.m.

I'd like to find one of those old computers with the turbo button and put in new innards. The only thing to figure out is what would the turbo button actually do...? I was thinking an extra fan and a big red light...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/19/12 3:32 p.m.
RossD wrote: I'd like to find one of those old computers with the turbo button and put in new innards. The only thing to figure out is what would the turbo button actually do...? I was thinking an extra fan and a big red light...

Set it up so it's "de-overclocked" unless you push the button?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 3:46 p.m.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrade-your-original-1984-Macintosh-to-run-OS-X-S/

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 3:49 p.m.

Or this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/My-Apple-iWipe/

Jay
Jay SuperDork
1/19/12 4:11 p.m.

If you hack up a working vintage C64/Atari/Mac/etc. whatever to make a bland modern windows thing, ninjas will descend on your house and kill you.

Non-working (beyond practical repair) examples, on the other hand, are fair game.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 4:24 p.m.
Jay wrote: If you hack up a working vintage C64/Atari/Mac/etc. whatever to make a bland modern windows thing, ninjas will descend on your house and kill you. Non-working (beyond practical repair) examples, on the other hand, are fair game.

Yeah I was hoping to find basically just a case with a 5 1/2" floppy and without a built in screen. So if anyone has anything that matches that description laying around PM me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/19/12 4:29 p.m.
Jay wrote: If you hack up a working vintage C64/Atari/Mac/etc. whatever to make a bland modern windows thing, ninjas will descend on your house and kill you. Non-working (beyond practical repair) examples, on the other hand, are fair game.

Does that mean you'll pay me big $ for my Mac IIfx? I'll take 10% of it's price when new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_IIfx

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 4:37 p.m.

My daughter is collecting the parts to build one of these.

I'm reasonably certain I'll get dragged into the project to make it actually work.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/19/12 7:15 p.m.

She's still into the steam punk thing?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 7:46 p.m.

I would have to say... YES.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/19/12 7:48 p.m.

I am probably one of the last people who had an original Commodore 64...

...and STILL HAS IT!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 8:07 p.m.

To EastCoast and Curmudgeon, I'm just waiting on the day she comes home from school with her Camaro on wagon wheels and brass plated.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/19/12 8:08 p.m.

The old Macs with new Mac Minis in them are pretty cool. I have an old SE that wouldn't be bad to gut. My SE/30, however, will stay stock. It's pretty cool.

If you do an old Mac, look at this stuff to restore the color on the case.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Very GRM. I need to do mine!

Jay
Jay SuperDork
1/19/12 8:08 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I am probably one of the last people who had an original Commodore 64... ...and STILL HAS IT!

I've still got the one my parents bought when I was 2. And I've acquired a few more since then. I have at least 3 fully working systems and 2 monitors.

None of them are set up though, they're packed in boxes. And all the original floppies have probably succumbed to data rot.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
1/19/12 9:45 p.m.

I've got a working C64, 300 baud modem, and two 1541 drives. It was my first system when everyone else had gone 286.

On the other hand, building your own case isn't too hard for people who put obscure JDM(Yo) engines into oddball cars. check HardOCP's Case Modding Forum if you've a day to kill.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/19/12 11:11 p.m.

Turbo buttons rule. Did they do anything except turn on a green LED?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/20/12 12:47 a.m.

The original PC XT had an 8mhz clock speed. Some programs and games just ran as fast as they could and at 8mhz it was fine. When the AT came out and was capable of a whopping 16mhz a lot of things happened too fast. I remember a version of pacman that would go from hitting start to being dead in less than a second. The turbo button cut the clock speed in half to deal with this.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 4:41 a.m.

Everyone I knew in the 80's with a C64 made a lot of money in the mid-90's in IT.

I didn't have one . . .

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 5:00 a.m.

I have this 1984 Compaq "portable" that I'd really considered doing this to, but it does power up to a prompt(haven't found a DOS disk yet), and if I upgrade it I'll have to plan on upgrading it every few years to stay current. Otherwise it'll loose both its cool retro-ness and functionallity.

Edited: found a pic Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 7:18 a.m.

It's completely possible, all you gotta do is find an old case, I still have a few lying around.

The only mod you might have to do is the power button, modern PSUs sit in standby and wait for a power-on signal from the mobo which is triggered by the power button, older PSUs were either ON or OFF and the power button was a hard cutoff switch that plugged directly into the PSU.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/20/12 11:36 a.m.

I have a couple old 486 machines in the attic w/5 1/4 floppy drives, one still works. Also have a few old Pentium machines and a few working CRT monitors, at 2 of them are old VGA(SVGA) monitors. A 24-pin dot matrix printer, a flatbed scanner and a laser printer up there also.

Also some old gaming machines that still work and I'm not even concidering getting rid of. An original Pong, Atari 2600, Nintendo 64.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jCqjQWOQV2uInToNExHzqHcjLyUjQhWPJekmuD95dI1xapiHj1KdaRLhEBqZtpqI