1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/15/17 12:52 p.m.

Linky

ELLENTON, Fla. (AP) — After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on “The Greatest Show on Earth.” The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

“There isn’t any one thing,” said Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment. “This has been a very difficult decision for me and for the entire family.”

The company broke the news to circus employees Saturday night after shows in Orlando and Miami.

Ringling Bros. has two touring circuses this season and will perform 30 shows between now and May. Major stops include Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston and Brooklyn. The final shows will be in Providence, Rhode Island, on May 7 and in Uniondale, New York, at the Nassau County Coliseum on May 21.

The circus, with its exotic animals, flashy costumes and death-defying acrobats, has been a staple of entertainment in the United States since the mid-1800s. Phineas Taylor Barnum made a traveling spectacle of animals and human oddities popular, while the five Ringling brothers performed juggling acts and skits from their home base in Wisconsin. Eventually, they merged and the modern circus was born. The sprawling troupes traveled around America by train, wowing audiences with the sheer scale of entertainment and exotic animals.

By midcentury, the circus was routine, wholesome family entertainment. But as the 20th century went on, kids became less and less enthralled. Movies, television, video games and the internet captured young minds. The circus didn’t have savvy product merchandising tie-ins or Saturday morning cartoons to shore up its image.

“The competitor in many ways is time,” said Feld, adding that transporting the show by rail and other circus quirks — such as providing a traveling school for performers’ children— are throwbacks to another era. “It’s a different model that we can’t see how it works in today’s world to justify and maintain an affordable ticket price. So you’ve got all these things working against it.”

The Feld family bought the Ringling circus in 1967. The show was just under 3 hours then. Today, the show is 2 hours and 7 minutes, with the longest segment — a tiger act — clocking in at 12 minutes.

“Try getting a 3- or 4-year-old today to sit for 12 minutes,” he said.

Feld and his daughter Juliette Feld, who is the company’s chief operating officer, acknowledged another reality that led to the closing, and it was the one thing that initially drew millions to the show: the animals. Ringling has been targeted by activists who say forcing animals to perform is cruel and unnecessary.

In May of 2016, after a long and costly legal battle, the company removed the elephants from the shows and sent the animals to live on a conservation farm in Central Florida. The animals had been the symbol of the circus since Barnum brought an Asian elephant named Jumbo to America in 1882. In 2014, Feld Entertainment won $25.2 million in settlements from groups including the Humane Society of the United States, ending a 14-year fight over allegations that circus employees mistreated elephants.

By the time the elephants were removed, public opinion had shifted somewhat. Los Angeles prohibited the use of bull-hooks by elephant trainers and handlers, as did Oakland, California. The city of Asheville, North Carolina nixed wild or exotic animals from performing in the municipally owned, 7,600-seat U.S. Cellular Center.

Attendance has been dropping for 10 years, said Juliette Feld, but when the elephants left, there was a “dramatic drop” in ticket sales. Paradoxically, while many said they didn’t want big animals to perform in circuses, many others refused to attend a circus without them.

“We know now that one of the major reasons people came to Ringling Bros. was getting to see elephants,” she said. “We stand by that decision. We know it was the right decision. This was what audiences wanted to see and it definitely played a major role.”

The Felds say their existing animals — lions, tigers, camels, donkeys, alpacas, kangaroos and llamas — will go to suitable homes. Juliette Feld says the company will continue operating the Center for Elephant Conservation.

Some 500 people perform and work on both touring shows. A handful will be placed in positions with the company’s other, profitable shows — it owns Monster Jam, Disney on Ice and Marvel Live, among other things — but most will be out of a job. Juliette Feld said the company will help employees with job placement and resumes. In some cases where a circus employee lives on the tour rail car (the circus travels by train), the company will also help with housing relocation.

Kenneth Feld became visibly emotional while discussing the decision with a reporter. He said over the next four months, fans will be able to say goodbye at the remaining shows.

In recent years, Ringling Bros. tried to remain relevant, hiring its first African American ringmaster, then its first female ringmaster, and also launching an interactive app. It added elements from its other, popular shows, such as motorbike daredevils and ice skaters. But it seemingly was no match for Pokemon Go and a generation of kids who desire familiar brands and YouTube celebrities.

“We tried all these different things to see what would work, and supported it with a lot of funding as well, and we weren’t successful in finding the solution,” said Kenneth Feld.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/15/17 12:55 p.m.

If only they had hired their first gay ringmaster. Then it would have worked. Oh well.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/17 12:56 p.m.

Thanks Harambe

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/15/17 1:07 p.m.

I've been to their circus before. The scale of the event made it hard to really get into. It was expensive and big and there was often so much going on that it was hard to all take in.
Contrast that with the small family circus that we've attended in Michigan twice in the last couple of years. You could sit maybe 200 people in the tent at a time. Everyone was CLOSE. One act at a time. Talking to the workers. Reasonable prices for admission and popcorn. We had a ball and will continue to go as long as they come back.
I think animal acts are going away, especially exotics like big cats and elephants, and so the people who used to make money off of them are too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/17 1:12 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: If only they had hired their first gay ringmaster. Then it would have worked. Oh well.

I am sure they had several.. but nice way to bring politics into this.

As for the circus itself, when it started touring 146 years ago, it was one of the very few ways people could see exotic animals, Add to that the death defying highwire stunts, clowns, and the entire carnival atmosphere that goes with a circus, it was a very big deal.

Today, many things the circus brought to town are no longer so exotic, in fact, because we have become inured to seeing them in the wild on our computers, televisions, and so forth, all we see is the suffering they indure. I have been on the road with a few shows (never a circus) and it is a never-ending stream of hardwork, lack of sleep, lack of good food, and a distinct inability to get really clean. At least as a human, I signed up for that life, for an animal with a limited ability to know what is going on, it must be incredibly stressful.

So I am sorry to see the end of an era, but the only constant in life is change, and all things must endure it or die out, the circus' days are done.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
1/15/17 1:16 p.m.

A true 3 ring circus, 3 acts running simultaneously is quite a spectacle. Glad I got to see it once. I really enjoyed the clowns.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
1/15/17 1:25 p.m.

Glad that I saw it when I was young.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/15/17 1:44 p.m.

Eh, I'm not really surprised. mad_machine hit it on the head.

I've been to a few circuses in my lifetime and I have to say I was never impressed, even as a kid. The only thing I found interesting nowadays is the Ringling Bros Circus Train.

Not that I want to go there, but there's also the ethical treatment of animals. It's such a grey area and has been for quite a while.

Part of me is sad to see one of our oldest entertainment companies shudder, but at the same time, I feel like it's probably time.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/17 2:20 p.m.

They're not going out of business due to fewer animals in the show... it's due to competition.

Le Cirque de Soleil and others simply kicked Ringling Brothers ass. More entertaining.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/15/17 2:31 p.m.

I remember seeing the Ringling Circus in Columbus Ohio circa 1979 and thinking it was amazing (I was 8 and it hit me at just the right time in my life).

It's too bad that era is gone, kids today are so much more flooded with information, something a bit more analog just can't compete.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
1/15/17 2:46 p.m.

There will be a flood of unemployed creepy clowns on the streets.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/15/17 3:00 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I remember seeing the Ringling Circus in Columbus Ohio circa 1979 and thinking it was amazing (I was 8 and it hit me at just the right time in my life). It's too bad that era is gone, kids today are so much more flooded with information, something a bit more analog just can't compete.

I just looked at ticket prices for the Ringling brothers shows that are coming up. Tickets start at $41 for the show in Orlando. Just the show. No parking. No food. So two parents and one kid is already $123. I have four kids so $246 for the six of us for two hours of entertainment.
I'm not sure that kids attention spans are really the issue here.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/15/17 3:40 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: They're not going out of business due to fewer animals in the show... it's due to competition. Le Cirque de Soleil and others simply kicked Ringling Brothers ass. More entertaining.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Those others aren't "circuses" in the same sense.

But at the price of tickets we haven't been able to afford to take the grandkids for quite some time now.

OHSCrifle
1/15/17 4:33 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: I remember seeing the Ringling Circus in Columbus Ohio circa 1979 and thinking it was amazing (I was 8 and it hit me at just the right time in my life). It's too bad that era is gone, kids today are so much more flooded with information, something a bit more analog just can't compete.
I just looked at ticket prices for the Ringling brothers shows that are coming up. Tickets start at $41 for the show in Orlando. Just the show. No parking. No food. So two parents and one kid is already $123. I have four kids so $246 for the six of us for two hours of entertainment. I'm not sure that kids attention spans are really the issue here.

...Cheapest event in Orlando then.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/17 5:01 p.m.

I just spent an ungodly amount on tickets to take my nieces and nephews to see it at Nassau Coliseum in May. It will be everyone's first and last trip to the circus. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

daeman
daeman Dork
1/15/17 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I see what you did there..... Snigger snigger

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/15/17 9:07 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:
I just looked at ticket prices for the Ringling brothers shows that are coming up. Tickets start at $41 for the show in Orlando. Just the show. No parking. No food. So two parents and one kid is already $123. I have four kids so $246 for the six of us for two hours of entertainment. I'm not sure that kids attention spans are really the issue here.
...Cheapest event in Orlando then.

That is..mostly accurate. Groupon and some of thr stuff on i-drive can be done cheaper. Not much though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/15/17 9:21 p.m.

It's an issue. Entertainment like this for kids is expensive. Combine that with the fact that gadgets are cheap (and what kids seem to want) and I think you see a lot of -take the kids to- stuff hurting.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
1/15/17 10:00 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: They're not going out of business due to fewer animals in the show... it's due to competition. Le Cirque de Soleil and others simply kicked Ringling Brothers ass. More entertaining.

Since I work for them, let's start with the name. It's "Cirque du Soleil".

Okay, that was a bit rude, sorry.

Anyhow, if you think CdS is kicking anyone's hiney, you're wrong. The owner and founder sold off 90% of the company (to a venture capital firm) a couple years ago. That's public knowledge.

The logical leap from that is, "why would anyone sell their company if they felt the future was bright and profitable?"

It isn't. I can't say more, due to an NDA, but more entertaining or not, there simply isn't any future in circus, regardless of brand.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/17 10:45 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Sad to hear that. We saw Allegrea(?) several years ago and was incredible! But it was also a small fortune for a family of 6... We're looking forward to have more opportunities to enjoy shows like this now that the kids are mostly out on their own.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
1/16/17 12:45 a.m.

Pete, one of the reasons it's so expensive (and hard to make profitable) is all of those fabulous death-defying feats aren't so defiant lately. Cost of insurance is through the roof.

In order to mitigate insurance costs, those death-defying acts are made a lot safer. Which also makes them less exciting to the audience, when they can see safety lines on every performer.

(Oh, and you were close. It's "Alegria". I have a lot of dear friends who have spent time with that show.)

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/17 5:06 a.m.

I know we only went to Ringling Bros once as a kid so it must have been expensive but I had no idea how much. I got a check last week for a week of unused vacation time and it didn't cover 12 circus tickets. Add in the $20 their going to get out of me for parking, snacks and drinks and souvenirs for the kids and I don't know how anyone affords it.

OHSCrifle
1/16/17 6:16 a.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Not surprising that the dangerous stuff is expensive to insure. Whether Circus of the Sun is profitable or not, the new shows certainly contributed to the demise of RBB+B.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/17 6:34 a.m.

Dangerous stuff by professionals is expensive.

Dangerous stuff on YouTube is free, and infinitely more likely to end in spectacular disaster.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
1/16/17 6:50 a.m.

This is also the end for seltzer bottle companies. So sad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
THnI9KAzDyllHdeM1IgfYF6BOpjBGtIidxuCCiBwhzkL2s9Tm7fwFkjDO2vgWVQY