JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
4/19/12 3:17 p.m.

Your music brought joy to many, may you Rest in Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQDFk0fDTk

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/19/12 3:23 p.m.

I'll have to play a little Band tonight. RIP

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/19/12 3:26 p.m.

And one half of the Memphis Horns died on Monday.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
4/19/12 5:22 p.m.

I think I may have to indulge in some Last Waltz tonght and this weekend. Great stuff.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
4/19/12 6:14 p.m.
corytate
corytate Dork
4/19/12 7:50 p.m.

Great music maker.
"I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin bout half past dead"

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/19/12 9:30 p.m.

Listened to a couple of his songs on my way home from work. They came up on my random playlist. Both were from Electric Dirt and one of them was "When I Go Away". When I get home SWMBO tells me he passed. Spooky. He certainly left behind a good body of work.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
4/19/12 10:04 p.m.

WHAT?

Gubby
Gubby Reader
4/20/12 12:44 a.m.

Listeneng to "ain't no more cane" from The Basement Tapes as I type this....

What a voice...RIP.

By the way..."Hey Ridley, you got any Beeman's?"

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/20/12 12:53 a.m.

Just got back from a Buffett concert where Jimmy did a little segment on him. He played with Jimmy for a while.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/12 7:49 a.m.
Gubby wrote: Listeneng to "ain't no more cane" from The Basement Tapes as I type this.... What a voice...RIP. By the way..."Hey Ridley, you got any Beeman's?"

DAMN! I didn't know he played Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff!

Levon will be sadly missed.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/20/12 8:06 a.m.

I now have "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down" stuck in my head... not a bad thing...

I have amusing memories about that song. My father used to listen to it a lot, but mainly the Joan Baez version. It would be years before I knew it was a cover.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
4/20/12 11:45 a.m.

"That's how a conspiracy works. Them boys from the grassy knoll was dead and buried that same afternoon, out past Terlingua."

"You know this for a fact?!"

"Still got the damn shovel!"

(From "Shooter," in which Levon steals the show as a vision-impaired master gunsmith. RIP.)

alex
alex UltraDork
4/20/12 12:50 p.m.

Here's a lovely tribute to Levon written by Elvis Costello. The man's got a way with words.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/ramble-on-levon/303

Coincidentally, as I was re-organizing my records yesterday, I found a copy of Big Pink I didn't even know I had. Needless to say, that and The Band got spun repeatedly.

Reading his obits and tributes, and listening to a couple old interviews, it sounds like Mr. Helm was the kind of guy I'd have liked to know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9dggMdHobw1cbIHNeQbtpVcCg5Ia78yimeqmOqa9tblmj4QYvO0ode8qJ8zz5bCz