1 2 3 4 ... 6
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/16/12 10:01 a.m.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/16/12 10:29 a.m.

What makes me sad is that there will not be any more Funny Bones.

Twinkies taste like chemical sponges, but Funny Bones are the greatest snack cake ever conceived by man. They are made by Drake's, but they are owned by Hostess.

Today is a sad day.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/16/12 11:17 a.m.

we got this far and nobody mentioned these guys yet?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
11/16/12 11:20 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: we got this far and nobody mentioned these guys yet?

Don't nobody mess wit ma Tastykakes!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/12 11:48 a.m.

Twinkie who? This is Quebec's OTHER contribution to world cuisine.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
11/16/12 12:00 p.m.

The only thing out of this I won't like, is that they will probably have to close the Wonder Bread/Hostess outlets they have all over the Chicago area.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/16/12 12:29 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

I heard they're closing the one down in Danville, so it sounds that way.

Have you seen the prices people are asking for Twinkies on eBay???

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/16/12 12:40 p.m.

After work, I must go find Ho Hos!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/12 1:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Twinkie who? This is Quebec's OTHER contribution to world cuisine.

Only with a Pepsi . . .

Actually, I think you may be forgetting steamed hot dogs from La Belle Province.

ZOO
11/16/12 1:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Twinkie who? This is Quebec's OTHER contribution to world cuisine.

Only with a Pepsi . . .

Actually, I think you may be forgetting steamed hot dogs from La Belle Province.

ZOO
11/16/12 1:18 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
failboat wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: Am I the only one who finds it funny that the union striked them selves out of a job all together?
I doubt that was part of their plan.
When the company says get back to work by 5 on Thursday and you don't get back to work, it looks like that was the plan.....

I don't think it is funny. I think it is sad that we think that accepting any type of "or else" negotiating is indeed free and collective bargaining. Thank your unions for many of the things we take all benefit from -- including sick days and occupational health and safety. Union benefits often trickle down to non-union jobs. That's what we should strive for as a society -- improvement in both standard of living and quality of life for everyone.

Instead, we seem to be cheering on a race for the bottom -- a race that we probably don't really want to win.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/16/12 1:29 p.m.
ZOO wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
failboat wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: Am I the only one who finds it funny that the union striked them selves out of a job all together?
When the company says get back to work by 5 on Thursday and you don't get back to work, it looks like that was the plan.....
I don't think it is funny. I think it is sad that we think that accepting any type of "or else" negotiating is indeed free and collective bargaining. Thank your unions for many of the things we take all benefit from -- including sick days and occupational health and safety. Union benefits often trickle down to non-union jobs. That's what we should strive for as a society -- improvement in both standard of living and quality of life for everyone. Instead, we seem to be cheering on a race for the bottom -- a race that we probably don't really want to win.

I agree with the thought, but the reality OF THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION is that the company was on the brink of going out of business anyways. Not really a good idea to ask them for more at that point in time. Disclaimer: I really haven't looked into the situation, but that is what I've garnered from reading a couple of poorly written articles.

I don't dislike unions, I dislike what (probably only a few) unions have become.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/12 2:24 p.m.
mtn wrote: I agree with the thought, but the reality OF THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION is that the company was on the brink of going out of business anyways. Not really a good idea to ask them for more at that point in time. Disclaimer: I really haven't looked into the situation, but that is what I've garnered from reading a couple of poorly written articles.

I see the disclaimer, but I think it's worth pointing out that it was a refusal to take a cut, not an "ask for more", at least per the linked article.

There isn't enough info in the article to really understand the situation. That would take complete access to all the books and someone who knows how to make sense of them.

I'll take pie over arguing about which side gets the blame when we don't know where the playing field is... And I'll definitely take pie over Twinkies, though I haven't been able to buy a Hostess pie even as a guilty pleasure since I realized they're 500+ calories There's not enough pleasure in them for that kind of guilt...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
11/16/12 2:39 p.m.

This is an interesting read: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-16/hostess-liquidation-curious-cast-characters-twinkie-tumbles

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/16/12 2:55 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Someone said something interesting to me Today: It used to be most people saw a wealthy person and aspired to be that person, when did it become the norm to want to make that person a Villan instead?

When the seed was planted in the statement, "He is rich. He got rich off of all of you without giving anything back to you."

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/16/12 2:56 p.m.

Good berkeleying riddance

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
11/16/12 3:11 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Someone said something interesting to me Today: It used to be most people saw a wealthy person and aspired to be that person, when did it become the norm to want to make that person a Villan instead?

Nobody villainized being rich. What people have a problem with is CEOs (and the such) who make absurd amounts of money by taking some of that money from the mouths of the workers who made them that money. Then on top of that, hoarding the money and/or exporting it to offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes to build the infrastructure that made making that money possible. Kind of strange that the top income brackets have risen at an extreme rate whilst the workers income has declined at a steady rate.

We have villainized villains.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
11/16/12 3:33 p.m.

I LOVE Twinkies!

We don't have any of those Tasty Kakes in our neck of the woods so I have no idea if they are good or bad.

I'm going down to QT to get me a few while I can. Also get one of those big 44 oz drinks.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
11/16/12 3:40 p.m.

I have seen it many times in retail. The upper crust has a new program to increase profitability. Hours are cut, therefore cutting costs. Well, sucks for the front-line workers, whose paychecks are shrinking, and sucks for the company's reputation, which is going down the toilet because customer service has become nonexistent. Customers decide that they are tired of that store, and take their business elsewhere. Three years down the line, when sales are down, and profits have plummeted, who will stick around to pick up the pieces, the execs, or everyone else? Meanwhile, a new CEO comes in basically saying that store management is incompetent, "great changes are afoot," wage freezes are in order, etc., when reality so many of the problems are a result of the last bonehead in charge.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/16/12 3:44 p.m.
failboat wrote:

it's never part of the plan ... just that the union hierarchy never seem to understand that the golden goose can't keep producing more and more golden eggs just 'cause they tell them to

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/16/12 4:20 p.m.

what is a southern breakfast? Moon Pie and an RC Cola..........

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/16/12 4:23 p.m.

Twinkies are collector items now.

... no problem w/ spoilage, they have a shelf life of forever.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/12 4:45 p.m.
ZOO wrote:
Only with a Pepsi . . . Actually, I think you may be forgetting steamed hot dogs from La Belle Province.

Jos Louis and a Pepsi, the topper to many a mountain bike ride in the Gatineau hills. My mouth is watering and I feel like pouring some mud on myself in remembrance.

I didn't realize steamed hot dogs were a Quebec (and apparently, eastern Ontario) thing. Huh.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
11/16/12 5:00 p.m.

In reply to ZOO:
How gauche is that? Anyone from Quebec knows you have your Joe Louis (or Mae West) with KIK Cola, not Pepsi. It all goes well with reading your Montreal Matin.
On the hot dogs ,I still get oddball looks when I ask for a dog with cole slaw on it. Picked up that habit from a hole-in-the-wall steamed hot dog stand in Lachute, Quebec years ago.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/16/12 5:01 p.m.

When it became the norm to blame everyone else for your situation rather than realize your life is your problem and you need to work, and work hard to get where you want to be. The problem can be found in the first half of the statement where it says they aspired to be that person. Far too many people don't aspire toward anything.

Yes I know this is a broad generalization...not everyone is lazy...yadayada

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zIFA7yDl4SROzmCu1VaoP7dIMTrRjxd7gl12DpcUUfRX9qEfx7L7O63gEDUQxNdC