1 2 3 ... 8
btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 2:10 p.m.

I know this is the wrong forum, but...

I've been mulling this over for a while and did a little research, and I'm prepared to state unequivocally that rock and roll peaked in 1976 (The year I was born).

The Band made their last recording.

ZZ Top was on hiatus and only had one good album left.

Clapton was still on drugs and hadn't redefined himself as a bluesman for 60 year old white guys.

Dylan hadn't found Jesus.

Aerosmith had released "Rocks"

Springstein had just done "Born to Run"

But there was darkness on the horizon,

Disco was starting to bloom

Frampton Comes Alive was out...

Of course this is all highly subjective, so I'm throwing down the gauntlet for someone to prove me wrong... or right.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/23/08 2:16 p.m.

Close; but "Let There Be Rock" (AC/DC) wasn't released until '77

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/23/08 2:20 p.m.

wrong...

When Social Distortion dies.. then rock and roll is dead

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/23/08 2:22 p.m.

I pretty much hate Social Distortion more than any band ever.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/23/08 2:25 p.m.

I'm not going to argue. Zep was still all alive and just did Physical Graffiti. In that era, my classmates in highschool would get stoned and blurt out Zep lines during class. "That's gonna be the one..." "Not even..." Bob Seger was just getting in full swing. It's been downhill since.

I never was a big ZZ, or "Three Shiny happy persons from Texas" as I call them, fan. Some of their stuff is OK, but it get monotonous to me. Like ACDC. They did play at my friends highschool prom.

Salanis
Salanis Dork

No, Lordi proved that Rock is still alive when they won Eurovision (the worlds largest pop music contest) by a land-slide.

You can't kill The Metal.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork

But they were cutting it in '76 ;)

the ghey music of 1976 said: 1. Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings 2. Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee 3. Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor 4. December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night), Four Seasons 5. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry 6. Kiss And Say Goodbye, Manhattans 7. Love Machine (Part 1), The Miracles 8. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon 9. Love Is Alive, Gary Wright 10. A Fifth Of Beethoven, Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band 11. Sara Smile, Daryl Hall and John Oates 12. Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band 13. I Write The Songs, Barry Manilow 14. Fly, Robin, Fly, Silver Convention 15. Love Hangover, Diana Ross 16. Get Close, Seals and Crofts 17. More, More, More, Andrea True Connection 18. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen 19. Misty Blue, Dorothy Moore 20. Boogie Fever, Sylvers 21. I'd Really Love To See You Tonight, England Dan and John Ford Coley 22. You Sexy Thing, Hot Chocolate 23. Love Hurts, Nazareth 24. Get Up And Boogie, Silver Convention 25. Take It To The Limit, Eagles 26. (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty, K.C. and The Sunshine Band 27. Sweet Love, Commodores 28. Right Back Where We Started From, Maxine Nightingale 29. Theme From "S.W.A.T", Rhythm Heritage 30. Love Rollercoaster, Ohio Players 31. You Should Be Dancing, Bee Gees 32. You'll Never Find Antoher Love Like Mine, Lou Rawls 33. Golden Years, David Bowie 34. Moonlight Feels Right, Starbuck 35. Only Sixteen, Dr. Hook 36. Let Your Love Flow, Bellamy Brothers 37. Dreamweaver, Gary Wright 38. Turn The Beat Around, Vicki Sue Robinson 39. Lonely Night (Angel Face), The Captain and Tennille 40. All By Myself, Eric Carmen 41. Love To Love You Baby, Donna Summer 42. Deep Purple, Donny and Marie Osmond 43. Theme From "Mahogany", Diana Ross 44. Sweet Thing, Rufus 45. That's The Way I Like It, K.C. and The Sunshine Band 46. A Little Bit More, Dr. Hook 47. Shannon, Henry Gross 48. If You Leave Me Now, Chicago 49. Lowdown, Boz Scaggs 50. Show Me The Way, Peter Frampton 51. Dream On, Aerosmith 52. I Love Music (Pt. 1), O'Jays 53. Say You Love Me, Fleetwood Mac 54. Times Of Your Life, Paul Anka 55. Devil Woman, Cliff Richard 56. Fooled Around And Fell In Love, Elvin Bishop 57. Convoy, C.W. McCall 58. Welcome Back, John Sebastian 59. Sing A Song, Earth, Wind and Fire 60. Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, Tavares 61. I'll Be Good To You, Brothers Johnson 63. Shop Around, The Captain and Tennille 64. Saturday Night, Bay City Rollers 65. Island Girl, Elton John 66. Let's Do It Again, Staple Singers 67. Let 'Em In, Paul McCartney and Wings 68. Baby Face, Wing and A Prayer Fife and Drum Corps 69. This Masquerade, George Benson 70. Evil Woman, Electric Light Orchestra 71. Wham Bam, Silver 72. I'm Easy, Keith Carradine 73. Wake Up Everybody (Pt. 1), Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes 74. Summer, War 75. Let her in, John Travolta 76. Fox On The Run, Sweet 77. Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac 78. Got To Get You Into My Life, Beatles 79. Fanny (Be Tender With My Love), Bee Gees 80. Getaway, Earth, Wind and Fire 81. She's Gone, Daryl Hall and John Oates 82. Rock And Roll Music, Beach Boys 82. Still The One, Orleans 83. You're My Best Friend, Queen 84. With Your Love, Jefferson Starship 85. Slow Ride, Foghat 86. Who'd She Coo, Ohio Players 88. Walk Away From Love, David Ruffin 89. Baby, I Love Your Way, Peter Frampton 90. Young Hearts Sun Free, Candi Staton 91. Breaking Up's Hard To Do, Neil Sedaka 92. Money Honey, Bay City Rollers 93. Tear The Roof Off The Sucker, Parliament 94. Junk Food Junkie, Larry Groce 95. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, Barry Manilow 96. Rock And Roll All Nite, Kiss 97. Disco Duck, Rick Dees 97. The Boys Are Back In Town, Thin Lizzy 98. Take The Money And Run, Steve Miller Band 99. Squeeze Box, The Who 100. Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.), Glen Campbell

You are wrong. 1976 sucked ;)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/23/08 2:27 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I pretty much hate Social Distortion more than any band ever.

I'll bet you love fall out boy, new found glory, and texas is the reason.....

don't worry.. cutters are sensitive people too..

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/23/08 2:27 p.m.

I dunno. Pink Floyd released some of their best stuff from the mid '70's into the early '80's.

I prefer to think of disco as a malignant tumor on the body of music which was thankfully choked off and left to wither and die.

Frampton Comes Alive: you might have a point there.

EDIT: Chrissakes, I looked at that Top 100 list and yeah rock was in serious E36 M3 in 1976.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/23/08 2:34 p.m.

Also released in 1976:

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 2:55 p.m.

Zep was still alive. Good call on the Ramones.

The 80's was an artistic decade best forgotten. That's a long list of crap from '76 posted above. Was 75 better?

Pink Floyd is an anomaly.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/08 2:55 p.m.

Nah. Punk hadn't come out yet as proven by the Ramones post from David S.

Rock and Roll was then killed AND transformed by Punk into something that much better.

The Boomers started Rock and then we perfected it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/23/08 2:57 p.m.

Bat out of Hell was released in '77.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 3:00 p.m.

Punk was the retaliation to disco like grunge was the retaliation to hair bands. They both have their place.

I think by the mid seventies rock had gotten over the doo wop phase and made it through the strawberry alarm clock stuff. But had yet to be corrupted by disco, dance, hair... And the "Icons" hadn't sucked yet.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 3:00 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Bat out of Hell was released in '77.

beginning of the end.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/23/08 3:07 p.m.
btp76 wrote:
beginning of the end.

I gotta agree. Meat Loaf was never a real rocker IMHO.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/23/08 3:35 p.m.

Every year has some crap ... ie:'76 had "I Write The Songs, Barry Manilow" and "Deep Purple, Donny and Marie Osmond " ...

What you need to look at are the High points not the charts.

And by the way any year before The Ramones is automatically desquilified. 1976 has the Ramones and the Beatles... Strong argument.

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
7/23/08 3:53 p.m.

Let Your Love Flow, Bellamy Brothers

A local I work with on occasion wrote that song, he still makes money from it. He's written several other songs that have made it pretty big, mostly country though, and I have no idea what they are.

On another note, how many remember David Letterman's first show, no, not Late Night, but a show following Starland Vocal Band around ala Reality TV. I don't think it lasted very long.

Someone beat me to it, but every year has crap songs...I'd like to have written just one of them on that list though, big money makers all....

And yeah, the Ramones rock!

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/23/08 4:02 p.m.

What years did CCR and the Beatles break up. What years did Jimmy H and J Morrison die? These dates need to be factored into the equation to determine the begining of the end of rocks cultural dominance.

edit: and something about Zeplin

On another note i have always contended that Rap peaked in 79 with the sugar hill gangs "rappers delight" Since then it has served as the music for people to listen to that have a bad tast in music and need something to help them get laid.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/23/08 4:18 p.m.

Without fact checks - CCR was only around for a few (maybe 3) years. They did a lot in a short time. Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison died in 71. I gave up on liking the Doors some time ago though.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/08 4:22 p.m.

The Top 100 songs of '76 was posted to provide a humorous answer to the statement that '76 was the end all.

Idiots needed music and the herd followed with that list.

+eleventy billion on The Ramones, I have also been listening to a LOT of Supertramp

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
7/23/08 4:22 p.m.
Jensenman wrote:
btp76 wrote:
beginning of the end.
I gotta agree. Meat Loaf was never a real rocker IMHO.

I wish I could get as much mileage out of one thing as that barf bucket has.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/23/08 4:34 p.m.
btp76 wrote: Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison died in 71.

sad year

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/23/08 4:36 p.m.

years like 76 actually make me thankful that I wasn't born then.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/23/08 4:44 p.m.

I'm willing to bet that if you pull the top 100 from any year, it will look moronic.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pkuIgwVnj9RnQbkiMrRhfJhZpZrZy1XiWwFxbxGnxtQ3nrnIJ17hEUArFQYFxwlm