fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/3/14 12:28 a.m.

Looking to lose the pedestal mount spoiler on my '05 S197. This is new as of 1/14 from MMD but looks kind of tall. I'd like to see one on the street before I'd pop. Any recommendations for a one-piece shorter ducktail spoiler? The Roush ducktail does nothing for me, btw. Also, I'd prefer factory only mounting holes to return it to original if necessary.

Stumbled across this in googles. '07-'08 V6 Mustang AFAIK. Subtle... prolly the closest thing to spoiler delete. I saw one locally and liked it. I'm thinking they should bolt right on being factory. What's the story on these?

Now, back to googles.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
1/3/14 1:46 a.m.

It says in the thread this photo is from that the factory mounting locations for the GT and V-6 spoilers are the same.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/98356-2008-mustang-v6-oem-spoiler-change.html

I can't seem to find any on eBay or the usual Mustang parts suppliers, so your best bets are the scrapyard or Mustang forums. Try searching car-part.com , I found plenty there.

Alternatively, there's the GT500 ducktail spoiler, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-500-Painted-Rear-Spoiler-Flushmount-Wing-NEW-/380598144855

I've occasionally thought of getting a stock or MMD ducktail spoiler for my wing-less 2013, but I can think of several go-fast parts that money could go towards instead.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/3/14 5:48 a.m.

First thing on the list when I get my S197 is to ditch that moronic pedestal wing. There are a few alternatives; some use the stock mount holes while others will cover them but use 3M tape to attach. Try looking in catalogs from American Muscle, etc as I have found two or three suitable lip spoilers that would work and aren't gaudy.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/3/14 5:54 a.m.

I like the RTR stuff for the S197

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/3/14 6:54 a.m.

I like the RTR wing. Is that available for the first gen S197 too? The only drawback I've heard from the ducktails is decreased rear visibility. I'm pretty sure the red car above is the factory V6 wing from that year, maybe a pony package item, and should bolt right on.

I've got a Steeda street wing on mine, which is actually a slightly taller pedestal wing that extends further back than the factory one. I opted not to buy the aluminum end winglets, so it's all black. It was purely an aesthetic choice when installed, but I can actually feel some stabilizing effect from it at higher speeds, which surprised me. When I was planning on special ordering the car in '05 I was going to delete the wing, but since I found one in dealer stock with every other option I wanted I took the wing. After some falling-tree-derived bodywork I put the Steeda on.

EDIT: the V6 wing above probably isn't pony package since the rest of the car isn't equipped as such.

YOu can kind of see the Steeda here. From the back it sort of has a Ferrari vibe to me. Yeah, yeah, I know.

Will
Will Dork
1/3/14 10:07 a.m.

It's just me, but V8 S197s look so clean without a wing...that's how I'd do it.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
1/5/14 5:32 p.m.

Anything you like fasted?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/5/14 8:07 p.m.

In reply to RexSeven:

I like the RTR but haven't found any for '05-'09s. The Shelby style looks promising. $129 and prepainted, wonder how the quality is. I'm concerned w/ rear visibility so I don't want anything too tall. The V6 spoilers aren't looking bad at this point. Long way to go to spring yet, I'll keep looking. Send ideas.

rob_z
rob_z New Reader
1/6/14 1:20 a.m.

They never did come out with anything that seemed to suit the clean lines of the 05'-09' so I left mine smooth as she came from the factory:)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/6/14 5:18 a.m.

One nice thing about the factory v6 wing - you can probably find someone with the same color v6 that will straight swap for your gt wing.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/6/14 6:39 a.m.
rob_z wrote: They never did come out with anything that seemed to suit the clean lines of the 05'-09' so I left mine smooth as she came from the factory:)

Really sharp looking car, any more pics?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/14 7:09 a.m.
Will wrote: It's just me, but V8 S197s look so clean without a wing...that's how I'd do it.

Spoiler delete for the win!

rob_z
rob_z New Reader
1/6/14 11:56 a.m.
Storz wrote: Really sharp looking car, any more pics?

Thanks, here's a couple more from that day when I was playing around:

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/6/14 4:44 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: One nice thing about the factory v6 wing - you can probably find someone with the same color v6 that will straight swap for your gt wing.

Good idea. The V6 wing first caught my eye from 50' away in a parking lot. Upon closer look I liked it more. Satin Silver, same as mine. I don't think it would be sacrilege to install it on a GT. Mainly practical (rear vision) but looks decent too.

I'll prolly search salvage yards and shops for take offs too.

Need to expand my googles too, I obviously missed a lot of stuff you guys suggested.

Thnx.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/6/14 8:26 p.m.
Will wrote: It's just me, but V8 S197s look so clean without a wing...that's how I'd do it.

What's the best way to delete the factory holes in the deck lid?

Will
Will Dork
1/6/14 9:47 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Buy a new decklid without holes.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/7/14 7:40 a.m.

Body shop. Or get your welder and spray gun out.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/7/14 9:00 a.m.

Somewhere, back in 06 or 07, I remember seeing filler plugs that snapped into the holes and could be ordered already painted to match factory colors....but I don't have a clue where.....

They weren't a perfectly smooth solution but they were much cheaper than bodywork, didn't look bad, and were easily reversible.

A lot of folks found someone with the same color car that wanted a spoiler and traded deck lids.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/7/14 10:44 a.m.
RossD wrote: Body shop. Or get your welder and spray gun out.

Decklid is BMC or SMC. So you can't metal weld it.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/7/14 1:37 p.m.

I keep trying to convince myself that an S197 can make a decent family car....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/7/14 2:53 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:

mmm....pretty sure mine is metal. The hood is aluminum, but I think the deck is still steel.... not driving it today or I'd run out and magnet-check it.

EDIT: Wait, I know it's steel because there's a company that sells magnetic blackout panels for the space between the taillights.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/7/14 4:12 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
mmm....pretty sure mine is metal. The hood is aluminum, but I think the deck is still steel.... not driving it today or I'd run out and magnet-check it. EDIT: Wait, I know it's steel because there's a company that sells magnetic blackout panels for the space between the taillights.

Seriously, they changed back? The SN/Fox4 cars were plastic. Nobody around me has anything newer then 04. So sorry.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/8/14 7:40 p.m.

This is the minimal duck tail look I'm after:

No other info from pic but I think this is prolly 2010.

I googled my ass off and this is the closest look I found.

On another note, sales and manufacturer sites are severely lacking in product images. You might find one shot installed on a vehicle, some are just the part. Dammit, if you want to sell parts please include several images installed on the vehicle. AM is one of the best sites I've seen. Besides multiple views of the product there can be dozens of customer car images w/ their parts installed, as well as reviews.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
1/8/14 9:12 p.m.

That's a 2010-2012 body style Mustang. I think the spoilers also work on 2013-2014 Mustangs but not 2005-2009. That V-6 spoiler in the first post is probably the closest available for the 1st. gen. S197.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uPeYD1jNBZhWG1aIzaWi8zkDN7OFnffbw7eWZEQ2AgmdeYQwturs0lCYBHHv7URw