1 2 3 ... 8
camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 9:35 a.m.

My wifes 2020 4runner had a very small crack in the bottom of her windshield.  Not a big deal, scheduled with safelite and expect it to be done in a day.  Seems pretty routine.  They called her and started the conversation with, we accidentally cut something that will need welded to repair and the car is now at the body shop.  They claim they cut nearly 2 feet of metal at the cowl/firewall with nylon string while trying to remove the windshield.  The body shop just came back with a $1200 repair bill which literally said 10 hours of labor and paint.  Making me think they'll just do a quick weld and be done with it.  I'd love to hear others thoughts.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 9:35 a.m.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 9:36 a.m.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/23 9:37 a.m.

My only thoughts are "never use Safelite". 

I also had a bad experience with them. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 9:44 a.m.

Not sure how this happened, but I'm thinking that they cut 90% of the adhesive (top, sides and most of the bottom), and then tried to fold it down with their feet from the inside?

I would be super mega pissed about this from a Toyota resale value perspective.

I would absolutely get a lawyer involved in this one. 

The big glass company's employee completely berked up your car. Ask any car company how important the cowl area is to overall vehicle safety. 

This is why Safelite has full coverage insurance. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/17/23 9:48 a.m.

WTF kind of nylon string cuts sheetmetal? There's no way that is a $1,200 repair if done correctly. Due to how modern vehicles are designed you need to insist on a factory procedure repair. If they bitch just say the words "we don't want another John Eagle Collision situation" by doing a cowboy repair. Good luck, you might have to claim it on your own insurance and let them subrogate.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 10:02 a.m.

Pretty sure that was cut with a windshield knife. Probably something like this. 

Amazon.com: Air Windshield Knife Pneumatic Windshield Remover Sealant Cutter  Blade for Auto Glass Glue Window Seal Cutter Car Windshield Windscreen  Removal Tool : Automotive

While it doesn't look to be structural, I would definitely want Toyata's input on the best way to repair it. My biggest concern would be the potential for that to leak for the rest of the vehicles life. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/17/23 10:07 a.m.

Wow, I expected a nicked A-pillar or something... that's insane. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/17/23 10:08 a.m.

what the actual toasted bagel with cream cheese berkeley was the tech doing? Using a sawzall? 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/17/23 10:31 a.m.

I remember we had a customer come in who had had a windshield replaced by Safelite and now her wipers didn't work. The Safelite tech had snapped the aluminum structure of the wiper transmission, tried zip-tieing it back together and said nothing. The first time the customer tried to use the wipers, the wiper transmissions shifted, crammed the wiper arms into the under side of the hood and cracked the brand-new windshield. Safelite sent the tech to the dealership to assess it and he came at me with an attitude and said "Well, I've broken those before and zip-tied them and never had this issue." He really didn't like my response of "Oh, so you're a serial hack?"

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/17/23 10:34 a.m.
Mndsm said:

what the actual toasted bagel with cream cheese berkeley was the tech doing? Using a sawzall? 

wae
wae PowerDork
8/17/23 10:38 a.m.

When I clicked on the topic, I was expecting something along the lines of dropping tools on the hood or something.

I have no advice other than to find a body shop that you really really trust and have them look at it and provide an opinion.  I'd also be talking to my insurance company to see if that is something they would be able to get involved in.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 10:45 a.m.

currently on the phone with the district manager, he's very sorry.  says he guarantees the body shop they're using will absolutey do a bang on job on the repair.  By simply welding it back together.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 10:46 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

they're simply going to weld it and paint it.  there words 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/17/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

I'd say you want to be called when the repair is done and before the windshield is installed so that you can go down there and inspect the quality of the repair

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 10:54 a.m.

Welding may well be the best and the proper way to repair it. Properly done it should last the life of the car. The good news is it's going to take a hell of a welder to fix it. s thin as the material is, it's going to be like welding two pieces of air together. 

Be glad they didn't just glue a new windshield in with some extra urethane and sent it back to you. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/17/23 10:58 a.m.

That's the result of Occupational Health and Safety.  And, structural urethane instead of butyl tape.  And, the unbearable lightness of modern sheet metal.

Carpal tunnel and tennis elbow from using a manual windshield knife on urethane led to those reciprocation glass removal tool, which, when combined with 26 ga body metal, means the steel is easier to cut than the urethane.

It shouldn't, but it happens.  As long as its welded and painted properly, it will be invisible and fine.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/17/23 10:58 a.m.

Bring it to a Toyota dealership for an estimate.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/17/23 11:11 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Bring it to a Toyota dealership for an estimate.

You should ask the tech to drive it over to the dealership sans windshield.  

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
8/17/23 11:21 a.m.

The fact that they said they did this with nylon string immediately tells me that at least some people involved are more interested in CYA than taking responsibility... So I wouldn't trust the shop they brought it to any farther than I could throw it. I recently had to deal with similar issues, although thankfully just with plastic exterior pieces that a detail shop busted.

First, I'd talk to them and directly to the shop to make sure both know that under no uncertain terms are they to start any work without my approval. Next, I'd be farming the pics out to multiple reputable shops on what they believe the correct repair procedure is and ballpark what you're looking at for price. Some may even be willing to provide an initial estimate based on photos. I'd absolutely insist on using the shop of my choosing, which after my due diligence may or may not be the one they took it to. If they balk at that, I'd let them know I can do this through my insurance instead, if they'd rather go that route.

I don't know of any dealerships that have internal body shops anymore. So taking it to a Toyota dealership probably won't do you any good. Call them to find out before actually sending the car there, as they may not even have people qualified to assess the damage and just refer you to another shop they have affiliated themselves with.

I know how frustrating it is to deal with crap like this on my own time and dime for something much more minor... I can only imagine how much more this sucks. Sorry you got the short end of the stick here.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/17/23 11:24 a.m.

I wonder if this will total the car. If you're in anything close to a salt state, a weld repair is going to drastically compromise the corrosion resistance. Add to that the difficult-to-measure rigidity after the repair on a part of the car critical to the crash structure, and this gets ugly really fast. I'd have Toyota see it and be prepared to call a lawyer.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 11:24 a.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

they did that when they drove it from safelite to the body shop a mile away

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/17/23 11:26 a.m.

I would involve your insurance company..  they can then subrogate to safelite.. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/17/23 11:26 a.m.

Talk to your insurance company to see if they will still insure a car with a repaired cowl. 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
8/17/23 11:28 a.m.

I have yet to find videos of nylon string cutting sheet metal because I still don't believe that's how it happened.  I have sent pics to two more body shops to see what they're estimates will be.  Safelite was also being a hassle with the rental car and not wanting to pay for insurance or put a deposit on the rental car.  I spoke with them and very calmly said, if I wrap this bronco around a tree you're still paying the damages.  She sort of thought I was kidding.  I'm also to the point I think safelite needs to step and offer to cover our gas for the duration of the rental as well.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r5BrSQl0qveNr403n1IDCNJBB4R4JK5l09Btyd6gV6LXRQlUIlCNhGBWv18Eqpb4