Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/1/13 12:50 p.m.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324809804578511363194241052.html

I wanted a Krate but I got a Murray F1 Eliminator in 1969. I then saved and bought a Schwinn 10 speed racing bike in 1974 and another in 1982.

Bicycles started the car craziness for me......those Krate/Stingray bikes were sweet. Still are.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/13 1:02 p.m.

My older brother had a blue metallic 5 speed Stingray. I ended up with a purple metallic 3 speed something. To this day, I don't know what kind of bike that I rode for four years. But I'll never forget that my brother had a 5 speed Stingray.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
6/1/13 4:03 p.m.

Awesome. My older cousin gave me his '70-71 Fastback when I was a kid. It survived his childhood, but not my early attempts at "I can fix it and make it better."

About 10 years ago I started collecting them. Have a '67 Fastback frame with mix & matched parts for a pit bike, a black '68 Fastback 5-speed, and a '69 Campus Green Fastback 3-speed.

Pit bike is in the garage. Might have to dust it off and go for a ride.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
6/1/13 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Did your bike look similar to a Stingray? Possibly a Ross Barracuda?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/1/13 5:14 p.m.

I've got a 45 year old Stngray tandem...

AND I'm the original owner...

AND I've had it on both the autocross AND dragstrip tracks at the $20XX Challenge!

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
6/1/13 5:42 p.m.

I had the very rare 10-speed Sting Ray in Lime Green.

I hurt myself a LOT on that bike.

Woody
6/1/13 7:39 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: In reply to Woody: Did your bike look similar to a Stingray? Possibly a Ross Barracuda?

I know that it wasn't a Ross Barracuda because my first bike was a Ross Barracuda 16 which, coincidentally, I still have. My daughter and I just started some minor restoration work on it (her first project!) so that she can use it to learn to ride without training wheels.

photo MollysBike007_zpsb3211458.jpg

I have been wondering about the purple bike for a while and this thread motivated me to spend an hour or so with the Googles looking at old bikes. Wiki was no help but I started looking at three speed stick shifters and it had a Sturmey Archer 70D like the one on the left:

That led me to believe that it may have been a Raleigh or other British bike, but I can't find a Raleigh that looks similar. I know it wasn't a Raleigh Chopper. My bike was pretty much a copy of the Schwinn or Ross.

Woody
6/1/13 8:47 p.m.

Check out the New England Muscle Bike Museum site:

http://www.nemusclebikes.com/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/1/13 9:05 p.m.

I had a '67 Stingray. I got it in '68. My parent negotiated a better price at the Schwinn dealer because it was last year's model. Grandma paid for a good part of it because my parent couldn't afford it. That was a good bike. My neighbors went through 2 or 3 Huffy's while my Schwinn only needed an occasional tire.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
6/1/13 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Very cool Woody. Very cool.

We have a few 20" Ross Barracudas in the collection. A pair of purple ones. Both a boys & girls.

When we did the body and paint work on my wife's '67 Barracuda convertible we had two bikes painted to match. If I ever get time to put the rest of that car together the bikes will make a cool display with it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/13 9:39 p.m.

I used to have an original Raleigh Chopper, but not the cool stick shifter. It was almost impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground.

Woody
6/2/13 6:18 a.m.

I quickly posted that link about the bike museum after I found it, but then I went back and spent a couple of hours looking through the photos there. I was shocked at the number of bikes they have. They have a fairly narrow scope, but if you need to identify one of these things, it's a good place to start.

Woody
6/2/13 1:46 p.m.

When I got home from work this morning and opened my garage door, one of the first things that I saw was my Ross Barracuda. It made me smile.

Woody
7/7/13 9:43 p.m.
Woody wrote: My older brother had a blue metallic 5 speed Stingray. I ended up with a purple metallic 3 speed something. To this day, I don't know what kind of bike that I rode for four years. But I'll never forget that my brother had a 5 speed Stingray.

Thirty six days after the original post (and having bought a three Speed Schwinn in the mean time), I finally figured out that my purple bike was a Raleigh Fireball DTR.

Restoration of the Schwinn has begun. The search is on for a Raleigh. I have thought of nothing but old bicycles for the past month.

Woody
7/7/13 10:01 p.m.

photo SchwinnSpeedster008_zps82497d91.jpg

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/7/13 11:00 p.m.

Did you decode the serial number to see what year your Fastback is?

I had my '67 framed 3-speed Fastback pit bike at the track a couple weekends ago. It was a hit. Decided to keep it at the shop for now. It's been a hit with several customers. I've been enjoying riding it around the parking lot before closing up at night.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
7/7/13 11:48 p.m.

Stingray - Where BMX began

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
7/7/13 11:51 p.m.

Good watch:

Woody
7/8/13 1:26 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Did you decode the serial number to see what year your Fastback is?

It's a 1973, still Ohio built. I'd like to get an older one, but this was too local and too cheap to pass up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GJYAnjoTJJY5P8HduLCGKTs228kRkxVlPADA28qtFGAYO3eR6UiN5G7XmjCUV8wu