1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 8:14 a.m.

A British Airways concorde underwent restoration and os return to The Intrepid Museum. The barge it's on will be tied up tonight off Jersey City and tomorrow it will be off Pier 83 in Manhattan until it's placed back onboard. 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/13/24 8:49 a.m.

"Foreign Aircraft Carrier Off Manhattan!"

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/13/24 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the heads-up! I still remember the sound of the Concordes flying over my house as a kid.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/24 9:52 a.m.

The local flight museum has a concorde and you can go inside of. Much smaller than I expected for some reason, but much longer! It's such a cool aircraft.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/13/24 10:15 a.m.

I worked ramp serviced for United at Dulles one winter break in the late 80s when I was in college. 

The Concord was still flying then and I saw them every day.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/13/24 10:43 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Thanks for the heads-up! I still remember the sound of the Concordes flying over my house as a kid.

I'm actually jealous that you got to experience that. Seeing and hearing a Concorde fly is up there with seeing and hearing a Saturn V launch.

At least I got to see a Space Shuttle go up when I was a kid.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/24 11:25 a.m.

Agreed the sound is like nothing else. I grew up outside Boston right next to one of the arrivals from the west where planes are at 6-7k. I don't think BOS was a normal stop, so maybe one of those charter rides they used to do.  Only saw it come by once, but very distinctive sound.

Here's a shot of the Concorde in question from 2007:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/13/24 11:27 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

I distinctly remember two times when a Concorde flew overhead in the Boston, MA area: 

-One was at my older sister's softball game. Almost everyone stopped (including some players!) to watch it (and hear it). 

-Another was at my uncle's house on the beach in Hull, MA, which is located across the bay from Boston's Logan Airport. It was summer, and we were laying on towels in the backyard after going to the beach to dry off. Then, LOUD NOISES and Concorde! It was low, going in for a landing. 

Seeing that thing in flight was an event. They are so cool. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/13/24 11:32 a.m.

Never flew on one , but saw one at the Paris airport  parked near the 747 we were boarding , 

not sure if one ever landed at LAX , but none that I know of :)

ADD , I went down to Long Beach harbor decades ago when the Spruce Goose was taken out of its hanger and was sitting in the water  

Later it was hauled up to Oregon  to be displayed at a museum 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/13/24 11:48 a.m.

Saw one weekend before last, went to the Udvar-Hazy 

I only got 4 hours there, I need to go back, I could probably spend about a week looking at stuff there. 

Heres a fast video tour that overlooks stuff (its almost an hour)

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/13/24 1:07 p.m.

In high school I briefly worked at a hotel adjacent to the Wilmington Airport in Delaware. I happened to be there when the Concorde spent the night (for reasons that I don't recall). Unfortunately I wasn't there for landing/take-off but I did get to look at it on the apron the evening that it was there. It's a tiny little airport so it was kind of a big deal. 

Re: Udvar-Hazy - thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to get there for years. It's only about a 2 hour drive for me. I don't have a good excuse. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/13/24 1:18 p.m.

You might get the chance to at least hear a supersonic plane in the near future, but a wee bit quieter.  Probably a bit of "thump", we will see / hear.

NASA will soon test how quiet its X-59 really is over populated areas

....In its latest update on the X-59, NASA announced several upcoming milestones, including its plan to fly the Lockheed Martin-produced X-59 QueSST prototype “over select communities to gather information about how the public perceives the quiet noise the X-59 is designed to produce (early 2024).”...

NASA will soon test how quiet its X-59 really is over populated areas

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/13/24 1:27 p.m.

Long Island Sports Car Association used to autocross at what is now the Gateway National Recreation Area, former Floyd Bennet NAS. Just across a Jamaica Bay are JFK main runways. I witnessed a takeoff during a LISCA event. Everything stopped. The timing beam shook....Pic from that day, sorry no aircraft.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/13/24 1:37 p.m.

I got to see it land and take off from Dulles when I was a kid visiting my aunt and uncle in Virginia. Back then, you could park near runway and watch the flights. It was great fun! I was probably 6 or 7. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/24 1:39 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Saw one weekend before last, went to the Udvar-Hazy 

Udvar-Hazy is amazing.  Bring a wide-angle lens. :)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/13/24 2:27 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
J.A. Ackley said:

I'm actually jealous that you got to experience that. Seeing and hearing a Concorde fly is up there with seeing and hearing a Saturn V launch.

At least I got to see a Space Shuttle go up when I was a kid.

I got to watch it come into Oshkosh in 1990. Came in from London, made a low pass wheels and nose down. Half way down the runway you see the wheels start to retract and the nose come up and the ground just shook. People in lawn chairs literally falling over. It was the most amazing sight/sound/experience. 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/24 3:02 p.m.

Wow that would have been amazing seeing it full power up close!

I did see/feel a B1 do that at an airshow: came in dirty, pitched up 30 deg, went into afterburner while simultaneously cleaning up and doing an aileron roll.  By far the loudest thing Ive ever experienced.

Made more memorable by the aftermath.  My son was 2ish at the time, wore his ear protectors the whole way to the show, at which time he wouldn't keep them on with, you know, really loud things flying by🤦‍♂️.  (no, his decision making has not improved 22 years later)

B1 low approach he freaks out and crawls under a CH53 which is leaking all kinds of stuff.  Fortunately a couple of marines helped me corral him.  Had to throw out his clothes; mom was not amused. 

Edit for humble brag with the Udvar Hazy talk- my dad has his name on the Wall of Honor outside for his contributions to the STARS approach radar system.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/13/24 3:16 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

LISCA had to give a re-run to the car on course when the ground shook. The timing pylon quivered hard enough to time the car when it was at 1/2 course.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/13/24 4:35 p.m.

When I was in college in the 80s, a couple of friends and I wrote to BA to see if we could get a tour. They invited us up to Dulles, so we rented a Cessna and flew up. They gave us a tour of the jet, both on the ramp and inside, and let us talk to the crew in the tiny cockpit. I still have the souvenir package they gave us. A few years later while flying charter in a Baron, we followed G-BOAG to the runway at Dulles and ended up #2 for takeoff behind him. We popped the door open so we could hear it better. It was glorious!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 5:07 p.m.

I used to see them coming in to land in Barbados sometimes, unfortunately never close enough to get a good appreciation for the difference in sound.

I got to have a peek in the one in the museum there, it's more like a small private jet with extra length than a typical airliner inside.

Will
Will UberDork
3/13/24 5:08 p.m.

British Airways, you're at 3/4 mile, call the ball.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/13/24 5:39 p.m.

Decided to toss this on in honor of this thread. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/13/24 5:46 p.m.

They used to come into JFK over my elementary school sometimes. I was easily distracted if we were outside. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/24 8:30 p.m.

In (I think) 1981 I was training at Roosevelt Raceway, in Westbury, NY. I was outside the barn , hitching a pacer for a training trip, when I looked up and saw the Concorde go over. It was low and very quiet, must have been on final approach.

The racetrack (originally a motorsports venue) and travel on the Concorde are both nothing but memories now.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/13/24 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

It would have been about that time. They were much louder taking off. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FLb6uUGcsV3tyS0DqOEacmmmFgDiic9bvCEZ0uA2SP7L0123h0yjYe0BnEBGvWLC