1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/12/18 7:41 p.m.

Never heard of this before. Seven Marine builds an outboard drive that uses an LS engine. 557 hp and people hang three or four of these out the ass end of their boats.

Seems Volvo just bought a big stake in the company

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/18 7:45 p.m.

That's an outboard?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
3/12/18 8:09 p.m.

One of my coworkers has one and he raves about it. Seems to be a very robust power plant. But they are in the adult money range from what I have heard.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/12/18 8:34 p.m.

er....probably wouldn't work on my 17' wellcraft center console eh ????

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/12/18 9:54 p.m.

I presume they are still around, but Honda had a 4cyl outboard a while ago.  We called them a Civic on a stick. I guess these would be a Camaro on a stick.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 10:58 p.m.

isn't the LS an aluminum engine? I wonder how it works with the raw water cooling in saltwater?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/12/18 11:31 p.m.

Am I the only one hoping to see a boat with 7 LS based outboards hung on it?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/12/18 11:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I presume they are still around, but Honda had a 4cyl outboard a while ago.  We called them a Civic on a stick. I guess these would be a Camaro on a stick.

My dads 200HP Yamaha is a V6, IIRC. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/18 2:16 a.m.
mad_machine said:

isn't the LS an aluminum engine? I wonder how it works with the raw water cooling in saltwater?

While looking for an image someone posted a while back of a vertically mounted LS (LSA, LS9?) in an outboard housing, I found this.

That appears to be a big ol' heat exchanger on the front, so not raw water cooling.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/13/18 5:45 a.m.

Thing with boat engines is that they live the life of a race engine. Most of the time boat engines are running  flat-out or close to it. Wonder how the LS likes that life long term?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/13/18 5:47 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

You can do amazing things when you have s large body of water we your radiator. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/18 6:29 a.m.
mtn said:
Streetwiseguy said:

So...it's a Taurus? 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/13/18 7:08 a.m.
Appleseed said:
mtn said:
Streetwiseguy said:

So...it's a Taurus? 

On a stick.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/18 7:59 a.m.
NOHOME said:

That's eight marine LS outboard engines.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/18 8:06 a.m.
Woody said:
NOHOME said:

Or 4456 HP. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/13/18 8:06 a.m.
Woody said:
NOHOME said:

No, that's  eight 7 Marine LS marine outboard engines cheeky

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/13/18 8:07 a.m.

They also have a 627HP version. $90K

The bargain 557HP is only $80K

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/13/18 8:09 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Am I the only one hoping to see a boat with 7 LS based outboards hung on it?

You weren't the only one.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/13/18 8:13 a.m.

These guys have been around a while, and as NoHome mentioned, they typical application is trips or quads.

So, $360,000 worth of motor BEFORE you buy the boat.

I used to think that drag racing was expensive, then I bought a boat! Glad I got that out of my system!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/13/18 9:15 a.m.

I used to do some wrenching on the Go-fast offshore boats. That is when I realized that there was a financial class to which I could never aspire.

The most I ever rigged was three Evinrude V8s of about 300 Hp each.  The hot ticket in the day was the Merc Mod VP with about the same HP. and I did rig one guys 17' piece of junk with one cause the shop needed the sale.  I refused to do a lake test. Always wondered what happened to that guy.

Pete

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
3/13/18 11:02 a.m.

<boggle>  This for power, overdependence on redundancy, thorough manatee blending, how to suck a unvented fuel tank into an event horizon ... ?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/13/18 11:19 a.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

Always wondered what a Manatee Margarita would taste like!

Honestly, based on my experience with outboards  the chances of all of those engines working at the same time for the entire day is not very high. We used to burn up over a million dollars per year of Evinrude engines when I was working in the oilfields. Yamaha did a bit better, but they were still pretty much a consumable.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/13/18 11:25 a.m.

And I used to think the 30hp Johnson on my dad's runabout was a big thing. 

Bangshift has a video of a boat running four of those LS engine outboards:  https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/heres-what-272000-worth-of-seven-marine-outboard-engines-look-like-hanging-off-the-back-of-the-same-boat-2228hp/

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/13/18 11:44 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Here’s What $272,000 Worth Of Seven Marine Outboard Engines Look Like Hanging Off The Back Of The Same Boat – 2,228HP!

"I have always known one thing about boats and that is the fact that find them really cool for other people to own"

Pretty much sums up power-boats for me. Same with race cars. I will work on them forever, as long as someone else is paying the bills.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wh3W1YerLgyfCeTicMMM1YIAhBQUZEQwTibxZ4dvx6ASogGtKMiNmNboyJ44xdHW