David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/21/11 3:32 p.m.

I think I read somewhere that R.E.M. hated that song, but looks like the band has called it quits. I can't say I have bought an album since Green, but I have everything else up until then, including some cool bootlegs stamped into a round, black substance.

Ironically we had just watched Athens, Ga.: Inside/Out a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting look at the Athens music scene that came out a year or two before I moved there. Promo that I found online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3CtOivDSTE

So, guys, thanks for the memories. And thanks for helping give life to the Athens music scene.

(By the way, my friend is in the Shiny Happy video--true story.)

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/21/11 3:36 p.m.

Wow, really? I can't say i'd heard from them at all in about 15 years, but I knew they were still around.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/21/11 3:50 p.m.

Actually, while I did by an album or so after GREEN through sheer momentum, I also quit listening at that point, though until then they had been one of my favorite bands. It seemed like the songwriting had just started to come back around recently, but not enough to make me buy an album.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/21/11 4:03 p.m.

Ooops. I think I just reposted. Curse these creative thread titles!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/21/11 4:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Ironically we had just watched Athens, Ga.: Inside/Out a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting look at the Athens music scene that came out a year or two before I moved there. Promo that I found online:

That is one of my favorite music documentaries. I think I own like 4 copies of it because I loan it out so much. Stipe doing the popeye dance just kills me and the other REM members drinking in their pajamas early in the morning is great. The Flat Duo Jets portion is my personal favorite. Dexter Romweber is pretty much my hero.

My wife opened my eyes to early REM. The first 3 or 4 albums are fantastic.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
9/21/11 4:06 p.m.

Played them incessantly in the late 80s/early nineties.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/21/11 4:18 p.m.

Man on the moon is still a favorite of mine

David S. Wallens
9/21/11 4:20 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Ironically we had just watched Athens, Ga.: Inside/Out a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting look at the Athens music scene that came out a year or two before I moved there. Promo that I found online:
That is one of my favorite music documentaries. I think I own like 4 copies of it because I loan it out so much. Stipe doing the popeye dance just kills me and the other REM members drinking in their pajamas early in the morning is great. The Flat Duo Jets portion is my personal favorite. Dexter Romweber is pretty much my hero. My wife opened my eyes to early REM. The first 3 or 4 albums are fantastic.

You know that Dexter is still playing, right? We saw him in New York a year ago, and a few weeks ago he played here in Ormond Beach. Seriously. He's just as passionate, too. Linky: http://ruraltone.com/dex/

David S. Wallens
9/21/11 4:23 p.m.

And speaking of Athens music, things got a bit heavier during the very late '80s/early '90s. This compilation perfectly captures that time. In fact, I have it playing right now: http://beyondfailure.blogspot.com/2009/07/fuel-seven-bands-from-athens-ga.html

By the way, check the engine used for the cover art.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/21/11 4:51 p.m.

(says quiet little prayer that Michael Stipe doesn't start his "solo career.") Good riddance to bad, pretentious faux-rock.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/21/11 6:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I think I read somewhere that R.E.M. hated that song,

I have something in common with them.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/21/11 8:18 p.m.

Joey, stick with the stuff they did on the IRS label, and you're golden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5TdBcAUts

David S. Wallens
9/21/11 8:38 p.m.

Yeah, the IRS stuff is definitely where it's at. I'd say Green was good but, like I said, that's where I got off the train.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
9/21/11 9:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, the IRS stuff is definitely where it's at. I'd say Green was good but, like I said, that's where I got off the train.

I made it to Monster...all before, none since.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
9/21/11 9:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, the IRS stuff is definitely where it's at. I'd say Green was good but, like I said, that's where I got off the train.

I made it to Monster...all before, none since.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/21/11 9:36 p.m.

I heard 'Radio Free Europe' on an alt.rock/grunge documentary, then afterwards 'Losing My Religion', and could hardly believe it was the same band.

shifty
shifty New Reader
9/21/11 9:42 p.m.

I saw them at The Bayou in Baton Rouge when they were still touring by station wagon. Once Stipe stopped mumbling I lost interest.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/22/11 12:31 a.m.

Saw them on the Green tour and that was probably the last time I had any interest in them. Never was a big fan. More of a fan of the bands they inspired, I suppose...

Get Up and Finest Work Song are pretty damn good, though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/11 9:52 a.m.

did the train conductor say "Take a break, David S."?

David S. Wallens
9/22/11 5:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
did the train conductor say "Take a break, David S."?

Something like that.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/11 7:24 p.m.

I read the thread title and was positive my wife was talking about me.

RE...who?

That must have been during my AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy, years. I'm still a little deaf from that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5mjShW0oZn4zdmfXpKQ55KhUI0EUHhYFEhHG2D5598que4ZYRqUsPJpX2Avls1st