rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/3/10 4:53 p.m.

Hey guys awhile back I mentioned moving and that I had a nice big new shop. Well I finally put together a rough layout of the shop and got the measurements. The shop is 1300 sq. feet and has 3 stalls with a good amount of additional work and storage space.

alex
alex Dork
3/3/10 5:24 p.m.

You've only posted to make the rest of us jealous, right? I was thrilled to have a 2 car garage (and a shed!) when I moved. Lucky sonofa...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/3/10 5:34 p.m.
alex wrote: You've only posted to make the rest of us jealous, right? I was thrilled to have a 2 car garage (and a shed!) when I moved. Lucky sonofa...

Well that is kind of a happy extra to go with posting it. Actually I will be tearing the guts out of it this summer and trying to set it up a bit more efficiently. So any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

My grandpa lived here for 30 years and basically just set things up where they fell kinda. The back work area has benches along all 3 walls and the front area has large shelves. Currently the two garage bays on that side are separated by another bench and bar (yes he had a bar in there) that is going to come out. I think I will extend the benches down the full length of the back wall.

The 3rd bay is separated from the other 2 by a wall and I'm fine with that. More than likely keep whatever is finished there, or just a daily driver.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/10 6:59 a.m.

1: You can never have too much compressor

2: You can never have too much welder

3: You can never have too many dedicated parts cleaners/blasters

4: You can never have too much reflective white paint

5: You can never have too many lights (on multiple circuits so you can control your costs).

6: You can never have too many electrical outlets

7: You can never have a refrigerator too full of beer and soda

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/10 8:11 a.m.

You're welcome!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/4/10 12:36 p.m.

P71 that is actually very similar to what I had been thinking. However I had the long term and driver car positions switched (the garage doors on the ends are powered lifts and the middle is a slider).

I like the idea of having a paint/body work area though once the girl friend gets a car it will need a bay as well so that spot may have to do double duty. She is thinking about looking at a '67 Riviera that is for sale locally . I imagine I would need some fairly heavy plastic for the door way portions at least, any ideas where I can get something appropriate?

There is an old bench top at my mom's place up in the rafters that I can bring over for the back wall. I really need to address the lighting in the shop as it is WAY to dark, there is only one florescent lamp in the entire place and then a few random other lamps. After the clean up the lighting and new outlets are my main priority.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/10 12:38 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: There is an old bench top at my mom's place up in the rafters that I can bring over for the back wall. I really need to address the lighting in the shop as it is WAY to dark, there is only one florescent lamp in the entire place and then a few random other lamps. After the clean up the lighting and new outlets are my main priority.

From experience - put in as many fluorescent lamps as you think you need, then double the number. And make sure that they're distributed nice and evenly so you don't get shadows when, say, you open a door or a trunk lid.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/4/10 12:56 p.m.

Yep. P71 nailed it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/4/10 1:01 p.m.
John Brown wrote: 2: You can never have too much welder

I used to agree with this until yesterday, when we picked up this baby:

Miller Maxstar STL

Spent today TIG welding stainless with 110V on a scaffold. Carried it up the scaffold in a 5 gal bucket. It makes our big boys look absolutely pitiful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d1UnImMsJShagCNJnw8UaMI6ZdIecvcxmi9t0zTuP2iYfssD4YxoPNkE3LgaHpXA