Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/15 9:21 p.m.

Yes, this isn't a shooting forum, but good discussion usually happens on most topics, so I figured I'd post.

I picked up two of these years ago, used them to sight in my rifles, then took the batteries out and forgot about them until recently. I put new batteries into the one I wanted to use (5.56) and while it works for a certain value of works, the lasers are very dim. Like, the cats won't chase them kind of dim.

Do these things just go bad with age if they are not used? I remember they weren't cheap when I got them and it seems they are even more expensive now, but they do save ammunition when getting a rifle zeroed for the first time.

The website says to use AG3 batteries, but I have seen other resources that say to use AG5, which are a bit thicker. Does anybody know, offhand, if there is a variance between old and new units? The batteries aren't that expensive, I am probably going to pick up some new AG3s and some AG5s tomorrow and try again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/15 11:39 p.m.

Do they have a customer service line you could call?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/6/15 6:38 a.m.

I found this:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8312358_sightmark-boresight-recommended-replacement-batteries.html

Also, you can apparently use either two AG5 or three AG3 batteries. I'm pretty sure both have a nominal cell voltage of 1.5 volts, so the three cell option would logically be much brighter. I assume you're already using AG3's?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/6/15 9:40 a.m.

Are you sure the "new" batteries are good?

Brett_Murphy
5/6/15 9:56 a.m.

I am going to get some new AG3s today and try it out. The batteries were new budget brand, so I a going to spring for the brand name ones as further research has shown that the laser will discharge some batteries in as little as 5 minutes.

Brett_Murphy
5/6/15 2:53 p.m.

Found the problem. I got the wrong batteries. I got series 312 batteries, which go flat fairly quickly once the back tab is removed, and they only provide 1.45 volts.

So yes, user error on my part.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/15 7:54 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: while it works for a certain value of works, the lasers are very dim. Like, the cats won't chase them kind of dim.

I have nothing useful to say, but I feel that this measure of laser strength is awesome.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 7:58 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: while it works for a certain value of works, the lasers are very dim. Like, the cats won't chase them kind of dim.
I have nothing useful to say, but I feel that this measure of laser strength is awesome.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
5/6/15 8:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote:

"Today, Space-x tested a ship-based laser with 10 kilo-cat tonnes power."

"ELON MUSK REVEALED TO BE A MOUSE"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BnIJBJmTbMsbf3U6yfhzemCZktR1SrMPJWBZ7tOisZuARm4Ns94RSv5TJkqcajIA