1 ... 3 4 5
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/13 11:30 p.m.

I think I give up on the weather channel.. now the new storm is "Winter Storm Orca"

First it was Nemo, now it is Orca... is the next porpose?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/11/13 12:08 a.m.

We're naming winter storms now? I thought it was a joke.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
2/11/13 1:20 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I think I give up on the weather channel.. now the new storm is "Winter Storm Orca" First it was Nemo, now it is Orca... is the next porpose?

It should be named "Puta"..............

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 9:05 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: We're naming winter storms now? I thought it was a joke.

Only the weather channel. They think it makes them more memorable or something. The intern that thought this up should be kicked in the butt on the way out and sent off to a degree in marketing, not meteorology

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/11/13 10:58 a.m.
sachilles wrote:
Wally wrote:
dj06482 wrote: How well do full-size trucks with plows work with this much snow (say 18")? I've always considered getting a plow for our truck to do our driveway. It's basically 275' long, slopes gently downhill, and it would be fine to just push the snow down to the bottom of the driveway. As I was clearing my driveway, I was wondering if a plow truck could move all this snow. I was marking 8-10" wide passes using my 9HP, 28" wide snowblower. Any more than that, and I could hear the engine working hard. For most storms, I think the plow would work very well and would save a bunch of time. This one I'm not sure about...
The best thing to do is to plow a few times if you can. It's alot easier on the truck to plow 6 inches three times than to do 18 inches all at once. Once to much snow piles up ahead of the plow you will just spin your wheels trying to move it. As far as the driving ban I wish they would do that in NY. Far too many idiots go out and clog up the streets making it almost impossible to get the streets cleared properly.
You angle the plow, and you can pretty much push anything. I've had a jeep cj with a plow as well as a full size dodge ram. In the big storms you just have to be careful, about the piles you make. The piles compress and freeze over time, so you won't be able to move them. So with early storms you have to push the piles way back. If you push too far, the plow gets surrounded by snow on the back side of it. Then the plow becomes an anchor, and life can suck after that point. I use an atv plow now. It's not really up to the task for the biggest storms, so I have to be plowing before it hits twelve inches to avoid misery. The type of snow does matter. In Vermont we get a lot of heavy wet stuff on the edges off winter. 8 inches of that is misery.

One thing I learned after many of years plowing.

Always carry a shovel and know what is underneath the snow.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/11/13 12:25 p.m.

We lost power Friday night at about 10:30pm after a transformer exploded near our house and got it back at around 10:30am yesterday, almost exactly 36 hours. We ended up getting around almost 2 feet of snow! I still can't find the Trans Am or the Dakota, but we cleared the driveway out. My 44-year old Yard Man Snowbird struck fear into the snow covering my driveway and walkways. There are still large sections of the own without power.

We are having an issue with our heating system now. We have 3 zones of forced hot water baseboard heat, and one of the zone valves is failing to open. We have our service guy coming out tomorrow to take a look.

Side note: I got rear ended on Saturday night on the way to the store in the 3. The kicker is that the guy that hit me was stuck a half mile back on the road and when I was turning around to try and help the guy, someone else had stopped to help. After I turned back around, I was sitting at a stop light and he slid right into me. He hit me right on the rear plate and smashed the bumper, marker lights, support, and my GRM license plate frame, that bastard. I also realized that every white car I've ever owned has gotten hit. That's what I get for straying away from silver cars.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/12/13 1:09 a.m.

I shoveled 4 times during and after that storm. Certainly was brutal. Never lost power, though. For RI, we were ridiculously lucky. Took awhile to get plowed out, but I can deal with that vs. no power.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/12/13 8:37 a.m.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/12/13 9:25 a.m.

On the Regional Snowfall Index the storm ranked 16th, way behind the 1993 Storm of the Century.

I'm sure that bit of knowledge is comforting to those that have to deal with it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/12/13 9:57 a.m.

The obligatory snow photo. Yes that is my ugly mug.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uaRtb86xr8JKulOzQrlR5ryoJ9aU2zJnpCVFJeWiaarDUNeJsmoF7jfEZtP6fngT