1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/15 9:21 p.m.

I didn't recognize the number, but it was local so I answered and said, "Hello?"

The guy on the other end said, "Uh...I think I may have dialed the wrong number. I was trying to call my dad, but you don't sound like him."

I said, "How old are you and who's your mother?"

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/6/15 9:24 p.m.

Guy, at least it wasn't Amy.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/7/15 8:23 a.m.

Heh. My phone rang at 2AM once, I answered it with a grumpy/sleepy 'hello' and some woman started going off about how the twins were going to be OK and weren't going to go to jail. Huh? I asked if she had the right number; she said 'oh my gawd so sorry' and since she was obviously flustered I decided not to cuss her out for waking me at 2AM.

The next day when I got home from work there was a message on my answering machine from the same woman thanking me for not cussing her out.

And no her name wasn't Amy.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/7/15 8:53 a.m.

I got a call once.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/7/15 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Me too. I didn't pick up.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/15 9:42 a.m.
yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/7/15 10:51 a.m.

I answered one time and it was a recording of FDR's war speech.....I have strange friends.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/15 10:59 a.m.

Once got a long voicemail from some British woman who seemed to have mis-dialed a number for a rally mechanic...talking about all kinds of stuff a normal car wouldn't have.

Then there's the time I had a guy persistently calling for his money who wouldn't stop calling my number no matter how many times I told him it was wrong, so I gave a friend the phone to play a prank on him, telling him he'd never get his money back. This really set the guy off and I got calls for weeks afterwards until I could finally convince him I wasn't the guy he was looking for. Seemed like he was supposed to get a cut of the spoils of some criminal plot and the crook holding the money gave him a fake number, which happened to be mine.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/7/15 12:13 p.m.

I got one once and the guy started in yelling and cursing and going on and on about how he was going to contract a hit on me, because I wouldn't leave his wife alone …

when he finally ran down and took a breath, I pointed out to him that I didn't have a berkeleying clue who he was or who his wife was … that I wasn't running around with anyone right then …. and that as big of an shiny happy person as he sounded I probably wouldn't want his leftovers anyway …

there was dead silence on the line for about 10 sec … then he said … oops .. must have dialed the wrong number … my response .. ya think ? he apologized and hung up

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/15 2:23 p.m.

Interesting timing. I just got chewed out on the phone by a very pissed off guy for missing an appointment. I just got back from holiday and had no idea until I finished grovelling and apologizing for my staff that he phoned the wrong company.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/7/15 6:08 p.m.

When I was in college, I started getting calls that came in between about 11:30pm and 1:00am. It would be a different 18 to 20 something guy looking for Sheila, (or maybe it was Amy ).

It was clear they were all looking for a booty call and somehow my number had gotten associated with this girl. Finally I said to one of them, "There is no Sheila at this number. There are lot of people calling for her, but this is not her phone. The next time you see her, please ask her to call this number so I can talk to her. She sounds like a girl I want to meet."

The calls stopped after that. I guess word got around.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/7/15 6:26 p.m.
Type Q wrote: When I was in college, I started getting calls that came in between about 11:30pm and 1:00am. It would be a different 18 to 20 something guy looking for Sheila, (or maybe it was Amy ). It was clear they were all looking for a booty call and somehow my number had gotten associated with this girl. Finally I said to one of them, "There is no Sheila at this number. There are lot of people calling for her, but this is not her phone. The next time you see her, please ask her to call this number so I can talk to her. She sounds like a girl I want to meet." The calls stopped after that. I guess word got around.

did you go to college in MN? I think i uh... knew sheila.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/7/15 7:15 p.m.

When I was in high school, I accidentally called the wrong number and a man answered that I knew wasn't who I was calling. I apologized told him in dialed the wrong number and hung up.

2 seconds later the guy calls me back yelling at me asking me who I am and why I'm bothering him. I just told him that I was sorry if I bothered him and hung up.

Guy calls me back again demanding to know who I was and I just told him that it was none of his business and that I already apologized to him and that now he was being an shiny happy person by calling me back. I told him wrong numbers happen all the time and to not be so god damn paranoid. Then I hung up on him.

He didn't call me back after that.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/15 7:18 p.m.

I didn't realize people still had home phones?

I haven't had one since, 2003?

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/7/15 7:21 p.m.

I got a voice mail today that told me I had a legal lawsuit against me and an arrest warrant was included and I had to immediately call 509-563-4331

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/15 7:59 p.m.

Whenever a wrong number dialer asks for a girl, I say, "She's in the shower". Then when they ask who I am, I pause silently for just long enough to make them uncomfortable and then hang up.

trucke
trucke Dork
8/7/15 8:14 p.m.

I keep getting calls from a some guy in Texas that thinks I have his golf clubs.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/7/15 9:10 p.m.

Trucke: give him back his clubs.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/7/15 9:28 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I didn't realize people still had home phones? I haven't had one since, 2003?

Good for you.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
8/8/15 1:37 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I didn't realize people still had home phones? I haven't had one since, 2003?

cool story, brah..

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
8/8/15 1:41 a.m.
trucke wrote: I keep getting calls from a some guy in Texas that thinks I have his golf clubs.

I really want those back

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
8/8/15 7:51 a.m.

Just had a call....it was nature.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
8/8/15 8:07 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Just had a call....it was nature.

Did you answer it? Or just roll back over?

Sput
Sput Reader
8/8/15 8:55 a.m.

There used to be a Dodge dealership here in town, D & E Dodge. Same initials and last name as Sput. After so many calls, I started having fun with them. some examples;

Caller - "Can I speak with Dave in service?" Me - "Sure, hang on a minute". Sets phone down, walks away.

Caller - "Do you still have the no money down - zero interest offer?" Me - "That deal ends in 30 minutes. Better hurry." click

Caller - "Do you have any Chargers in stock" Me - "Nope, you'd be better off going up to Burgaw anyways"

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/15 9:59 a.m.

A friend's parents had a number that was one digit off of the local Pizza Hut. We used to take orders for take out all the time and delivery all the time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uNEnJ7SMXjs1U7W40flyC56LvbhX6kyI67ObOhSWpTqybE3KlmKrA1GcODAQ3PyZ