1 2
lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
1/11/13 9:43 a.m.

As a side note, I once dripped fresh engine oil onto a pair of somewhat nice jeans, I don't exactly recall if I spotted it or scrubbed it right away with detergent or just ordinary hand soap, but surprisingly, it did not leave a stain at all.

So, in the future, whenever I need to drip oil on my jeans, I will make sure it's clean/fresh oil.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/20/13 12:05 p.m.

The verdict? ---Dawn dish washing liquid. Soaked the spots overnight, ran thru a warm/cold wash and rinse, looks like new! Thanks for the suggestions.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/13 12:40 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
motomoron wrote: Dawn dish washing liquid. Best surfactant going.
it's what they use to clean up birds and seals and stuff that get caught in oil slicks before releasing them back into the oil slick..

It also works as shampoo if necessary.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
1/20/13 8:50 p.m.

i just work on my cars naked. eliminates ruining anything.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/13 9:00 p.m.

In reply to KATYB:

Between that and the shop rag loin cloth previously mentioned i don't know which is the better idea.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/21/13 6:58 a.m.

KATYB ... pics would be appreciated

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/21/13 7:29 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Jerry wrote: What gets motor oil out?
Your wife, when she does the laundry

LOL. My wife would love this comment!

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/21/13 8:16 a.m.

My (future) wife would love it too, especially since we do our own laundry still.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/21/13 8:25 a.m.

New shirt

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/13 9:41 a.m.
KATYB wrote: i just work on my cars naked. eliminates ruining anything.

Don't adjust accessory drive belts that way. It's almost as bad as cooking bacon naked. But with a lot more pulling, spinning, and flailing.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/13 1:53 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
KATYB wrote: i just work on my cars naked. eliminates ruining anything.
Don't adjust accessory drive belts that way. It's almost as bad as cooking bacon naked. But with a lot more pulling, spinning, and flailing.

Well, it WOULD at least eliminate the concern about loose clothing getting caught in the belts... just have to worry about loose body parts...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/21/13 2:13 p.m.

http://www.dollartree.com/20-oz-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner/p8056/index.pro This stuff, IDK whats in it, I don't ask. It will strip 20 years of brake dust of a wheel and leave the powdercoat alone(given a 20 minute soak). It will dissolve years of Marlboro buildup instantly.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
1/21/13 2:14 p.m.

lol for the record i dont work on the car naked. not really. considering i work on the car in the front yard im sure that would draw the ire of my nieghbors wifes. but i do tend to just wear old clothes i dont care about and let them be stained. i am very possibly the messiest person when working on a car. i dont believe in gloves and its not uncommon for me to somehow go to do my brakes and come back inside covered head to toe in grease somehow.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/21/13 6:37 p.m.

well darn it ... you had us going there for a moment

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
drwlbYAM1MsgU1wcPHHUIVR8baYel3joRpihK8KmECZAzsHTSTYMcxKuiKbVcw4V