Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/3/23 6:47 p.m.

I need to get a new S.V. thing (ex M.I.L. threw half of my old one away while angry-cleaning)

Old one was a cheap-o.  Any reason to step up to a fancy one?

Recommendations?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/3/23 7:07 p.m.

I bought the one from Home Hardware.  Kuriadori.  It makes water hot and keeps it at the right temperature.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/23 7:42 p.m.

I have an Anova brand one. It works well and after using it for the past four years I don't think a higher priced one would be much of an improvement. I don't see the need for Bluetooth or other things on it.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/3/23 8:05 p.m.

I've got an "Inkbird" branded one which works very well.  It was one of those generic Amazon brands that I chose because it was not expensive.

My wife got me the Anova sous vide container, however, and it's definitely worth the extra scratch.  It's got a good seal on it to prevent evaporation as well as a little grate to keep the food from floating if the vacuum sealer didn't get all the air.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/23 8:14 p.m.

Following because my Joule no longer connects to wifi. 

Feels like this is kinda like a torque wrench question. There are cheap ones out there but if the calibration is off bad stuff can happen.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/3/23 9:05 p.m.

Had an anova nano. Would still be using it but it got hair or something in it so now it's loud and unpleasant sounding. I think it still works fine but I mothballed it as I haven't taken the time to pick at it. It is not user serviceable. 

Replaced it with the then mack daddy anova precision. Haven't used it in a while because I got off beef - but it was awesome when I did use it. WiFi app and all that work good. Disassembled easily to deal with bullE36 M3 Florida water. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
12/3/23 9:10 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

Following because my Joule no longer connects to wifi. 

Feels like this is kinda like a torque wrench question. There are cheap ones out there but if the calibration is off bad stuff can happen.

My Joule did the same thing.  Replaced with an inkbird and its been great.   What I really like is it retains the last setting, since I primarily use my sous vide for the same thing every week its nice to just turn it on and go.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/3/23 9:17 p.m.

Been using an Anova Nano 2.0 for several years now. Does everything I need it to do, still less than 100 bucks. Would absolutely buy again.

Margie

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/3/23 9:19 p.m.

I've seen all the Bluetooth/wifi/whatever capabilities. What are they useful for?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/3/23 9:42 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I've seen all the Bluetooth/wifi/whatever capabilities. What are they useful for?

Realistically, nothing

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/3/23 9:47 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Been using an Anova Nano 2.0 for several years now. Does everything I need it to do, still less than 100 bucks. Would absolutely buy again.

Margie

Yeah I think I have the same one and it absolutely doesn't need to be any better. It hold temperature just fine in a 12qt Cambro container and that's really all it needs to do. Save your money for  decent vacuum sealer.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 10:30 a.m.

I just got an instant pot that lets you set an actual temperature (not just hi/low).  Works great and works for many other cooking methods.

As Alton Brown would say, "no unitaskers!"

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 11:00 a.m.

I have an instant pot that does it, but damn is it size limiting. 

My main one I got from Aldi probably 5 years ago, maybe longer. Works great up to a 5 gallon bucket size container and I've never felt a need to replace it. I did buy a newer one, but the controls are annoying so it just sits in the cupboard. 

My next oven is going to have a feature called "air sous vide". What I've read they don't need bags, but it basically uses the convection fan to keep a steady low temp. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/23 11:21 a.m.

I've had my Anova for 7 years now and it continues to work well. I'd buy another.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 12:20 p.m.

I have an anova that I use almost exclusively for making hop water and infusing and it works wonderfully (it gets cleaned after each use). I love how they do meat as well, I just don't like the thought of warm/hot plastic sucked up against something I'm going to consume for a moderate extent of time. 

wae
wae PowerDork
12/4/23 12:40 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

[...]I just don't like the thought of warm/hot plastic sucked up against something I'm going to consume for a moderate extent of time. 

Simple solution:  Just eat faster.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 9:47 p.m.
RevRico said:

I have an instant pot that does it, but damn is it size limiting. 

My main one I got from Aldi probably 5 years ago, maybe longer. Works great up to a 5 gallon bucket size container and I've never felt a need to replace it. I did buy a newer one, but the controls are annoying so it just sits in the cupboard. 

My next oven is going to have a feature called "air sous vide". What I've read they don't need bags, but it basically uses the convection fan to keep a steady low temp. 

You're right.  Size matters laugh

I live alone, so I'm ok with my small appliance.  Wait....

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/6/23 3:47 p.m.

hmm now at least I have some non-automotive items for my Xmas list.  Appreciate the GRM enabling...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/6/23 4:22 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Mr_Asa said:

Realistically, nothing

Lazy bitches like me that wanna change E36 M3 from their phone instead of you know, walking over and looking at it. 

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/23 4:58 p.m.
Mndsm said:
JG Pasterjak said:
Mr_Asa said:

Realistically, nothing

Lazy bitches like me that wanna change E36 M3 from their phone instead of you know, walking over and looking at it. 

I absolutely hate having to make an account on some sketchy Chinese website in order to control a device that exists inside of my own flipping house, but the setup is somewhat easier from their app versus using the buttons on the heater itself.  It will also send the alert to my phone if it runs out of water, although, it would be much more useful to have an alarm that the water level is getting low instead of one that just tells you that it turned itself off because the water ran out.  The app will also allow me to create different custom profiles so I've got a "frozen chicken" setting that I can set it for 3.5 hours at 163 degrees with one tap, for example.  If I'm not within earshot of the heater, the phone app will chime to let me know that the cook time is over.

But none of that is really a make or break feature, really.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OzZkjznNMc2A4w2BuhAK40Sy1YjLAsgbkAzUCG0NjbpFAP3paeGngQWRwjaByJPO