1 2 3
Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/30/13 4:58 p.m.

And he is doing pretty well. I'm sure some people are familiar with Mike Skeen. Topped both practices in Camping World Truck Series today.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/30/nascar-truck-series-practice-canada-results-recap.html

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/30/13 5:30 p.m.

Way cool. Good luck, Mike.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
8/30/13 5:38 p.m.

Just looked at the sheet. Max Papis is in the group. Impressive company. This really his first time in a truck?

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
8/30/13 6:04 p.m.

Well he did race a truck in Baja last year but that's not the same. I am hoping the best for him, hell of a nice guy and he can drive like very few people I have ever seen.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/13 6:07 p.m.

I'm sure he'll do well, NASCAR is like a clean and clinical F1 race compared to the savagery of Spec E30

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/30/13 6:34 p.m.

He has been quick in everything he has driven, including real and virtual cars. I used to race with him in an iRacing league and the bastard blew the rest of our collective eDoors in too.

Its' good to see a guy from the ranks make it all the way up the ladder. Give 'em hell.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/30/13 6:51 p.m.

I saw him pull double duty a couple of years ago at Petit in World Challenge and also Trans Am. He was racing the Crager C6.R and Pinnacle Racing's TA2 Camaro. Not sure if he had much experience with TA2 cars before that weekend but he was giving our driver, Bob Stretch, one hell of a battle for first.

I had only seen him a few times in some SE30 cars at NASA-SE events. I also saw him at the 13 hours of VIR a couple of years ago driving a CTS-V GT car. I remember seeing him walking back to his race team's garage carrying like 8 pizzas. He is one hell of a nice guy and absolutely has the gift.

I am really excited about seeing this guy race on Sunday.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/30/13 6:58 p.m.

Some years ago I attended a BMW event at the Zentrum in South Carolina. I remember trying to keep up to Mike during a drive through the mountains, I didn't do very well.

He's been pretty successful in a variety of cars since his spec e30 days - check out his website, he has a lot of great in-car videos posted there.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/30/13 7:46 p.m.

Topic voted up. I would love a GRM interview with the guy.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/30/13 7:51 p.m.

I had the pleasure of been a passenger and watching him perform his craft at Test and Tune @ CMP.

Mike is smooth and fast. Giving much faster cars fits in a lowly 84 318. It was awesome . . .

I don't think there is much out there he hasn't driven.

Mike Skeen: NCWTS Test at CMP

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/30/13 8:14 p.m.

he was at CMP earlier this yr doing some shake-down work on the 2wd GT-R he was trying to get ready for WC .... in my slow-poke CRX I'd be just at the turn in for the kink and he would have just come around T9 (those of you that have been to CMP will know what this is like) and he would pass me before we would get to T11

us the video above for reference T8 is the fast rt hander at the end of the back straight, T9 is the slight bend to the rt, then the kink, then T11

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/30/13 8:14 p.m.

Good luck indeed.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
8/30/13 9:53 p.m.

Mike Skeen is a monster; alien variety. It's amazing what he does in a privately entered Corvette against the factory Cadillacs and other strong entries in World Challenge.

Here, have an eargasm and enjoy some in-car footage from his race at Mid Ohio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMW5je-Vko

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
8/31/13 6:24 p.m.

Just saw where he qualified third for Sunday's race. Chase Elliott is next in line. If Skeen is that good, Chase must be no slouch, either. Only drivers to outqualify Skeen are Ryan Blaney and James Buescher. Hope has a good run tomorrow.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/31/13 6:42 p.m.

Good stuff! I hope I can find a stream tomorrow. My normal source said he isn't doing it. He wants the bandwidth for the Indy race.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/31/13 7:11 p.m.

if you have cable ... the Speed replacement ... i.e. Fox Sports 1 is carrying it at 1:30pm Sun

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/31/13 8:53 p.m.

I just came from there... he was third at 109.076 mph.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/31/13 9:17 p.m.

Nice, Good Job

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/31/13 9:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Way cool. Good luck, Mike.

Hell yeah.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/1/13 8:37 a.m.

Wish I had cable for stuff like this, Craftsman truck series, I mean, Camping World truck series, is way more exciting than Sprint Cup IMO.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/1/13 9:27 a.m.

And they are unbelievably LOUD.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/1/13 12:29 p.m.

Mikey Waltrip has really been talking up Skeen, picked him to win the event. Wasn't planning on watching but I may have to now.

On Speed now... er, FS1, or whatever the berkeley they're calling it today.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
9/1/13 12:56 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Wish I had cable for stuff like this, Craftsman truck series, I mean, Camping World truck series, is way more exciting than Sprint Cup IMO.

Here is a link to the stream I found. If you run AdBlocker you have to disable it.

http://hashd.tv/besweeet53

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/1/13 1:03 p.m.

You can also listen to the race on MRN radio, they have a live feed on their website: http://www.motorracingnetwork.com

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/1/13 1:26 p.m.

I've watched 3 laps- 9-11, and he's moving up. Guy knows how to drive!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D3iQEBOex2sXXfb4l9Z1yUoWXAmgHs0DAB25N3zE5EA8RlT0NKBizYf3SvP1mme6