1 2 3 4 5
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
10/24/13 9:41 p.m.

and his awesome moves on the dancefloor!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/24/13 9:47 p.m.

Wasn't a big part of the stink that the pepper spray they used was rated for bears or something and wasn't supposed to be used on people?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/24/13 10:41 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Here's what I read this as: The UCDavis superintendent and the higher ups in the police department failed to do their jobs properly in planning how to actually remove unlawful protesters. They sent in too few cops with clear instructions to break everything up. Protesters got out of hand. The cops on the scene were put in a crap position with no good options. This guy got the unfortunate job of braking up the protestors circling the squad cars with the best tool at his disposal: pepper spray. Video of it went viral. Everyone got pissed off and blamed him. Although the ones who really berkeleyed up were his superiors, he was the obvious scape goat, so he got sacked to appease the mob. Dude loses a job and wants some money to offset all the crap he is now dealing with, and the difficulties he will now face finding any sort of new employment. This was the easiest case to make to get some money after being thrown under the bus.

Having seen and heard a lot of what happened there, I would agree with that. Lots of stupid involved, but he ended up being the face associates with it so he kinda got blamed for the whole thing, when it was mostly the fault of others.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/24/13 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

The guy was screwed no matter what. He was either going to get fired for failing to do his job, or fired for doing his job. He probably wishes now he made the opposite choice, but he had no way of knowing at the time which choice was the more-wrong one.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/24/13 11:33 p.m.

And it ended up not even doing any good anyway. The whole issue was to get them to take the tents down, and 2 days later there were tons more than were there to begin with (although many of them were not being used.) and lots of random people who were not even students came from all over to stay there, they finally mostly got tired of it and left over christmas break. This picture is of the assembly/protest that they had the day after the incident for the chancellor to apologize, the picture was taken with a camera on a weather balloon. The stupidest part of all of it to me was that the whole thing was to protest tuition increases, and between that and the US Bank branch being closed it cost the school a huge amount of money.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/13 9:30 a.m.

The officer could've said "No." and did the moral thing instead of the thing he was told to. Then he wouldn't have needed to sue for anything. He also could've gone home secure in the knowledge that he wasn't violent against non-violent students. A moral stand, who would've thunk it?

Btw - where are the tort reform guys for this? Shouldn't they be screaming their heads off about ridiculous lawsuits?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/25/13 9:35 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Wasn't a big part of the stink that the pepper spray they used was rated for bears or something and wasn't supposed to be used on people?

Jesus, Bears now? You have put us all in jepoardy!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 9:43 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Wasn't a big part of the stink that the pepper spray they used was rated for bears or something and wasn't supposed to be used on people?

It doesn't matter what is intended for.....the stuff I carried inside a prison was more powerful than "Bear Mace"........AFAIK, the hottest pepper mace(least dillution) used by anyone is by the LAPD. The funny thing is, its actually 10x better than getting hit with tear gas.....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
10/25/13 9:53 a.m.

Any of you kids old enough ( or well enough studied in U.S. history) to remember what happened at Kent State on May 4, 1970? Those kids got it worse, I'd say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOoNM0U6oc

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/25/13 9:54 a.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/25/13 9:58 a.m.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/25/13 10:00 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Any of you kids old enough ( or well enough studied in U.S. history) to remember what happened at Kent State on May 4, 1970? Those kids got it worse, I'd say. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOoNM0U6oc

Oh yes I remember that well. The big difference is the Kent State protests were anything but non violent.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/13 10:05 a.m.

pinchvalve

pinchvalve

pinchvalve
10/25/13 10:06 a.m.

pinchvalve
10/25/13 10:07 a.m.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 10:08 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Any of you kids old enough ( or well enough studied in U.S. history) to remember what happened at Kent State on May 4, 1970? Those kids got it worse, I'd say. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOoNM0U6oc
Oh yes I remember that well. The big difference is the Kent State protests were anything but non violent.

Yea, that one was just pretty berkeleyed up in general......everything from the previous days just culminated in that event.

I still believe this event was an attempt to get the same reaction out of people as Kent....if it was "designed" that way, it was wrong.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/25/13 10:17 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
It doesn't matter what is intended for.....the stuff I carried inside a prison was more powerful than "Bear Mace"........AFAIK, the hottest pepper mace(least dillution) used by anyone is by the LAPD. The funny thing is, its actually 10x better than getting hit with tear gas.....

I sell that. That, there, is the infamous "party pack". Not nearly as bad as what I would sell your grandma.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 10:19 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Tear gas just sucks, the only bad thing about pepper mace is that drowning feeling when you're attempting to decon.....

And the party pack is probably the CN/OC mix? The pepper isn't bad in them, but berkeley the CN

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/25/13 10:20 a.m.

Grandma used to swing her purse. Now she straight berkeleys you up!

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/25/13 10:29 a.m.

I will admit I didn't read this thread because I didn't want to get unnecessarily pissed off at people, but this guy did NOT get $38,000 for pepper spraying some people. He got $38,000 for getting vilified by the press and potentially eliminated from a lot of future job prospects despite probably doing exactly what he was told or trained to do in that situation. When you look at it that way, would you trade places with the guy?

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/25/13 10:32 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: The officer could've said "No." and did the moral thing instead of the thing he was told to. Then he wouldn't have needed to sue for anything.

Can't tell if this was trolling, but he probably would have still needed to sue someone if he had done that -- to get his job back after being fired for insubordination.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/25/13 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Josh:

Yep. We recently had an officer get in trouble for spraying someone who was cuffed to a bench. The mayor is still trying to fire him and the chief is backing him. He cam into my store a few weeks back, for guess what?! PEPPER SPRAY! Nice guy. I saw the video. I back him up. The mayor is inches from getting pulled anyway.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 10:37 a.m.
Josh wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: The officer could've said "No." and did the moral thing instead of the thing he was told to. Then he wouldn't have needed to sue for anything.
Can't tell if this was trolling, but he probably would have still needed to sue someone if he had done that -- to get his job back after being fired for insubordination.

This exactly.....I have been on that end. Fired for insubordination or fired for doing what you were ordered to do. I kinda got both though, and I took alot of my superiors down with me.

In reply to N Sperlo: While the foamer stuff sucks, that appears to be 15% dillution which is pretty much Bob Costas E36 M3. 2.5% dillution is awesome for tacos.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dy8ZQMhHJsj2mOym3ITOJ8snzGin5aG9ikIhPLSrzq09MEeHaxgvC0zrgaLSros9