1 2 3 ... 6
HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/14/13 11:44 a.m.

This morning when I drove into the local convenience store/gas station, the pump area was filled with stanced/hard-parked/hellaflush styled VWs and Audis, with a couple of similarly styled Hondas mixed in to the group too.

When I went to pay for my coffee, I got stuck in a slow moving line to the cash register behind a large group of the drivers of said stanced cars.

They looked like rejects from an american idol tryout. Skinny jeans, DC shoes and all. And why was this line moving so slowly? They were all buying cigarettes, and the cashier was carding every single one of them. And just what type of cigarettes were they buying, you may ask? Virginia Slims and Capris!?

I took a quick look around for under aged girlfriends sitting in the stanced cars, but saw no evidence of females.

I'm not sure exactly what that says about that crowd, but it gave me good laugh

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/14/13 12:03 p.m.

They're practicing for the suck-fest later.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/14/13 12:05 p.m.

Hopefully they all had their "illest", "shocker", and "Monster" stickers at the correct angle on the rear glass of their cars.

peter
peter HalfDork
4/14/13 12:06 p.m.

I sat next to a table of stereotypical NYC hipsters at dinner last night. My lasting impression was that the 20-something males at the table used "like" at least as often as an 80s valley girl.

This, only with totally awesome neck beards.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/13 12:28 p.m.
peter wrote: This, only with totally awesome neck beards.

please don't do that again I lived through that when I was that age.. not exactly a high point of US culture

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
4/14/13 1:11 p.m.

Wait.....is this seriously a thread complaining about the brand of cigarettes that a group of kids smoked? Would this thread exist if they were buying marlboro reds?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/14/13 1:29 p.m.

No, its about the combined implied stereotypes of stanced cars, skinny jeans and girly cigarettes.

I would have laughed no mater what brand they were buying, (because every single one of them was carded), I just wouldn't have been compelled to write about it

peter
peter HalfDork
4/14/13 1:48 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Wait.....is this seriously a thread complaining about the brand of cigarettes that a group of kids smoked? Would this thread exist if they were buying marlboro reds?

I thought it was a thread about how image-first humans announce their individuality by conforming to a set of aesthetics and behaviors that are considered silly or ridiculous by outsiders.

Or, more succinctly: damn kids, get off my lawn!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
4/14/13 4:12 p.m.

Reminds of those outlaw bikers and their uniforms. Lol

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/13 4:21 p.m.
peter wrote: I thought it was a thread about how image-first humans announce their individuality by conforming to a set of aesthetics and behaviors that are considered silly or ridiculous by outsiders.

be a non-conformist.. just like everyone else!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/14/13 4:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
peter wrote: I thought it was a thread about how image-first humans announce their individuality by conforming to a set of aesthetics and behaviors that are considered silly or ridiculous by outsiders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XX85aeMuxjs

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/14/13 5:12 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

so true

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
4/14/13 5:15 p.m.

I never got carded, even when I was underage. Facial Hair FTW.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
4/14/13 5:17 p.m.

I love it when they come up to me while I'm at the gas station and advise me to run more camber. I thank them for the advice then proceed to tell them that it is properly setup and I work on race cars for a living.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
4/14/13 5:18 p.m.

LAREDO

Nick Reynolds/Bob Shane/John Stewart

As I walked out in the streets of Laredo, as I walked out in Laredo one day.

I spied a young cowboy dressed in white linen. Dressed in white linen and cold as the clay.

I can see by your outfit that you are a cowboy. You can see by my outfit I'm a cowboy, too.

You can see by our outfits that we are both cowboys. Get yourself an outfit and be a cowboy, too!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
4/14/13 5:21 p.m.

Ah, the bandwagon of individuality.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/14/13 5:24 p.m.
Grizz wrote: I never got carded, even when I was underage. Facial Hair FTW.

I've been out with my grandpa and they wouldn't sell a 6 pack of good beer to us because he didn't have his id with him. I had mine, and was 21, but apparently that wasn't good enough for whatever store we were at.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/14/13 5:52 p.m.

"STANCE" - An emotional or intellectual attitude or position. Take your pick.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
4/14/13 5:56 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I love it when they come up to me while I'm at the gas station and advise me to run more camber. I thank them for the advice then proceed to tell them that it is properly setup and I work on race cars for a living.

Never underestimate the knowledge of a 16 y/o.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
4/14/13 6:34 p.m.

It amazes me they have swanky twankies (20" wheels) but then insist on Asia's finest when it comes to tires; Federal, Achiles, Ling Long, Sailon, Champiro, etc. Nearly every time I see one of these cars, I learn of yet another Asian tire manufacturer.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/14/13 7:04 p.m.

With the 5K miles they get out of them, they have to go cheap.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
4/14/13 7:07 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: It amazes me they have swanky twankies (20" wheels) but then insist on Asia's finest when it comes to tires; Federal, Achiles, Ling Long, Sailon, Champiro, etc. Nearly every time I see one of these cars, I learn of yet another Asian tire manufacturer.

Tell me about it. Last three cars I bought:

1) 2002 Sentra Spec-V on Akina tires (awful, awful tires)

2) 2005 Saabaru Aero on Ling Long tires (no grip but comfy and quiet)

3) 2006 Sentra Spec-V on Maxxis tires (LOUD, and mushy)

They were all bought from some kids. Before buying those cars, I had never heard of any of those companies. I noticed Maxxis advertised in GRM, but I had never seen anyone run them.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/13 7:38 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: be a non-conformist.. just like everyone else!

Brian: "You are all individuals!"

Crowd: "We are all individuals!"

Small voice in crowd: "I'm not..."

Neckromacr
Neckromacr Reader
4/14/13 7:55 p.m.
Grizz wrote: I never got carded, even when I was underage. Facial Hair FTW.

QFT

I was the only kid to leave my middle school with a full on, bushy goatee. Everyone in HS assumed I was a Sophomore.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/14/13 8:09 p.m.

LoL. Around me anymore, I have to go to a city to find any stance fags.......here its just Rollin coal pricks and the rest are cruising golf carts because they never bothered to get a license......

The cigarette thing reminds me of back when I'd actually go to bars with friends, people would ask to bum a cigarette until they saw the pack of Lucky Strikes presented......they'd usually look like the kids from super troopers going "Oh god no" while backing away. I've since switched to American Spirits due to them lasting longer, and unfortunately the hipsters think they don't have nicotine in them......LMFAO!

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TRiMULX4jyzMEWhs4q2NNZoo535BxMQiSYYtYAZuZZHlBR0UZO559tR83brYWw4z