1 2 3 4 5 6
icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/15/13 6:14 p.m.

Do the stances folk think that being that low helps performance?

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/15/13 6:19 p.m.

I used to see a Civic riding on the spring bumpers. Do to our uneven streets, it must have been an enjoyable ride. It sure did bounce.

Haven't seen it in awhile.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/15/13 6:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: But I live in SE Mich. The Metro area has over 4 million people, and if Detroit doesn't have a 'car scene' there where does. Are these things really as 'popular' as the internet has us believe?

I want to see one of these unibody dragging cars drive along North Territorial Road . It's one thing to do it in places further south, with nice smooth roads. It's quite another to do it here and dodge the pot holes and long sections of frost destroyed pavement.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/15/13 6:29 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Do the stances folk think that being that low helps performance?

I'd ask if you've seen the youtube comments on stanced cars, but I assume most people on the board are sane enough to stay out of them or at least turn on a derp filter.

MotoIQ said: Awesome axle clearance. Actually automatic self clearancing axles.

As has icaneat50eggs said, at least there's in interest in cars, and fads are fads. I do wish I had that kind of money to toss at a car when I was 19 or 20 though.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/13 6:45 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Here in FL you don't see the "stance" guys too often...... that is unless you go to a VW / Audi show. Those guys have taken over the VW scene. We have a pretty large show here in Daytona, and last year there were maybe two cars out of 50 that weren't "stanced".

Oh, they're like that everywhere. I blame the post-90 rounded unfun bloatmobiles. When the A1 and A2 chassis cars were the prime VW enthusiast cars, people were concerned about autocross and general handling in their GTIs and GLIs and Sciroccos. Then the big fat cars with huge wheels and huger weight filtered into the enthusiast market, and I don't care what you do to it, an A4 chassis will never be entertaining to drive because it just sucks from bumper to bumper, so people were all about getting power from the 1.8t and VR6 versions and then airbagging them so they could park the rockers right on the grass.

Shame. I miss the old VW days. Getting this GTI makes me feel like I came back to a party and all the lights are on, the drinks table is bare except for empty glasses, and there's no people, just a littered floor.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/15/13 7:08 p.m.

I've seen less than 10 stances cars in my life lol and one of them was a be Jetta sitting on three whelks painted teal and the guy was in the weeds by the side of the road looking for the Mia one. Guess he didn't check his lug nuts. Where I am we have more lifted trucks and camaros/stang/ challenger with hood scoops wings neon lights

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/15/13 7:15 p.m.

have a few parked in my apartment complex... I have no idea how they ride without rubbing the tires off... I've still never seen one of the rust finish stance rides around this area though...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/15/13 7:54 p.m.

Hmph. Around here it's 4x4's jacked up so high the Jensen could scoot under without touching but ridin' on those 'rent a rim' baller big wheel specials. Occasionally you'll see one with mudder tires. Or Chargers etc with baller rims. Damn, I'd almost rather see stance specials. The true performance scene around here is pretty underground.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/13 8:13 p.m.

There is a crowd around here that hang out at a place called Showzone Motorsports. They have showed up to a couple of autocrosses but I think they are mostly drifters. Every once in a while I'll see a ratty old Civic sitting on the bump stops and sporting a fart can, but that's about it.

What we have around here, are these.

Just about every full size American car in the state has been converted. That and all the Esclades. They pretty much keep the upholstery shop next to us in business. They are spending major $$$$ on those rigs. The upholstery shop just finished one up that was over $10K in yellow and purple leather and velvet. It looked hideous.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
4/15/13 9:47 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Do I live in the wrong area?, or is that right area, but I have never seen a 'stanced' car outside of the internet. Yes I've seen plenty of low cars and/or cars with over size wheels and rubber band tires, but I have never ever seen a car scraping on the ground with mega camber in real life. Am I just a sheltered indavidual?

My take with the stance scene and this assumption is that they come out late at night. They work jobs that take them into the night time then they go to parking lots for meets into the wee hours of the night - sleep until noon and repeat with some sticker adding in between.

I see them all over the place on my way home from work. A parking lot meet like every thursday i see.

And Joe Gearin' you might have the same issue. I see them all the time in Central Florida and in the Miami area. The Simply Clean car show brings out all sorts of them every year.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
4/16/13 6:52 a.m.

They are car guys just like us, just with different tastes. It's like a drag racer thinking I'm silly for spending money to drive around cones in a parking lot while I think he's silly to spend money to drive a car down a straight line. It's certainly not what I would do with a car, but I certainly won't down these guys for it.

The only thing that bugs me is that these guys won't bat an eye at spending $2000+ on a set of wheels, but buy the E36 M3tiest tires out there.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/16/13 7:09 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: They are car guys just like us, just with different tastes. It's like a drag racer thinking I'm silly for spending money to drive around cones in a parking lot while I think he's silly to spend money to drive a car down a straight line. It's certainly not what I would do with a car, but I certainly won't down these guys for it. The only thing that bugs me is that these guys won't bat an eye at spending $2000+ on a set of wheels, but buy the E36 M3tiest tires out there.

I'd add that they spend that money on wheels, but leave the craptastic stock brakes. Then they rear end you.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/16/13 7:43 a.m.

remember guys, stance/helleflush/etc.. is not about performance at all. it is about LOOK. so they are going to ride like crap, and the "best ones" (n their minds) end up nearly undriveable.

tires don't LOOK good, so they get the cheap ones. smae with brakes, and engine internals.... anything that is not seen, or does not change how the car LOOKS is not something they actually do.

it is exactly ricers. ricers are about things that look. body kits, chrome wheels, vents, anodized everything... just looks.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/16/13 8:07 a.m.

I belong to a Scion group, and we get everyone in the mix. Stance-tards and Hella-ridiculous, to guys like myself with grippy tires, nice rims, sway bars and strut braces, etc.

I snicker at the flat brimmed hats and skinny jeans and go check out the supercharger on that guy's first gen xB while I was at Boxed in the Smokies last weekend.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/16/13 8:59 a.m.
The0retical wrote: As has icaneat50eggs said, at least there's in interest in cars, and fads are fads.

I don't see it as an interest in cars any more than a fixie and PBR is an interest in bikes and beer.

It is a fashion show. From douchey jeans and fake glasses to car with no suspension.

It is retarded.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/16/13 9:06 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: But I live in SE Mich. The Metro area has over 4 million people, and if Detroit doesn't have a 'car scene' there where does. Are these things really as 'popular' as the internet has us believe?

Not on Michigan potholes. They're easier to drive on smooth roads. Still, here in Atlanta, I see more mild examples (lowered cars with slightly wide rims, but relatively correct camber) than the really over the top stuff.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/16/13 9:55 a.m.

I still cannot wait for the first little bugger to say "Nice stance bro" to the 318......I know it'll happen, so what should my response be? Goon the berkeley out and kill them all?

Damn having a low car built for autoxing......

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/16/13 10:08 a.m.
SCARR wrote: remember guys, stance/helleflush/etc.. is not about performance at all. it is about LOOK. so they are going to ride like crap, and the "best ones" (n their minds) end up nearly undriveable. tires don't LOOK good, so they get the cheap ones. smae with brakes, and engine internals.... anything that is not seen, or does not change how the car LOOKS is not something they actually do. it is exactly ricers. ricers are about things that look. body kits, chrome wheels, vents, anodized everything... just looks.

Just ricers? Not '50s customs and street rods, and air cooled VWs and old mini truckers? just ricers? Just a new fad?

it's ALWAYS been about looks. Ever since the '40s:

Including my own '62 Falcon

Not every car has to be built as a berkleying race car to be valid. "Stance" has been used to describe the altitude and attitude of modded cars since the 40s. So if someone says your car has nice stance, thank them and move on with your life. Not that hard. No one is making you build your cars their way, so the insulting behavior towards those that enjoy their cars in a different way than you is uncalled for. Now, if they do insult your car, then all bets are off, but them suggesting you lower it (if they do) is no different than you telling them what you think they should do with their cars.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/16/13 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Exactly. It is a bunch of people enjoying their car in one way or another and that is fine by me. I mean it isn't my cup of tea but I don't hate it either.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/16/13 10:23 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Not every car has to be built as a berkleying race car to be valid.

Lies. Non-conformist thinkers forum that-a-way ----------------------->>>

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/16/13 10:45 a.m.

Dude, don't turn this place into Miata.net.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/13 10:52 a.m.

I'm not going to laugh at someone for having a ridiculously lowered car. Well... OK, I might but I'm not going to give them crap about it in person unless I see them driving it on a street and causing problems for others. At a car show? Don't car. Cruise-in where they lower it once they're there? Fine- I'll walk right past it to see something else, but to each their own. If they tell me one of my cars should be lowered more, I'll politely thank them for their suggestion- it's not like I don't have TONS of experience dealing with stupid comments/suggestions/jokes from my time taking the DeLorean to car shows where it seems like EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING about the car- and more often than not they're dead wrong and often will argue heatedly if called on it. If one of them- or anyone else for that matter- wants to talk shop and learn more about one of the cars, I'll happily chat away almost indefinitely.

Thankfully though, at least here I've yet to see any of these. Heck, even ricers are kind of rare here, though present. Hourse Country is Truck Country, and strangely modded trucks are far more common than anything else- and most of the shows/cruise-ins I go to are far more focused on classic American steel than anything else.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/16/13 11:06 a.m.

I just always like to think what they say on their forums about us: "So they cram these oversized stupid expensive tires on the stock wheels (heh, morons), or worse, they buy new wheels that are the same size and use them. Then they drive around a parking lot for, like, a minute, and then argue over who was better! Also, these stupid tires wear out after like 5-6 of their stupid shows! And they spend like $5000 on these horrible shocks, but don't even change the springs! I mean, how fun can it be to drive a 20 year old Miata around for a couple minutes!"

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
4/16/13 11:44 a.m.

Oh, this thread again

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/16/13 11:50 a.m.

Love the look.

Hate the "culture."

Same goes for a lot of other car-related stuff. See also: Drifting.

Then again, I hate getting thrown into the "ricer" stereotype because I drive modified Hon-"duh"s.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Skk9iXlw2HSgzNBNRuDtfFRNIOdHEJzQVgmtQo3AKVPVMdhTnSsmoUfm5z6WIteM