1 ... 3 4 5 6
Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/17/13 3:52 p.m.

The drop center is kinda wide on this wheel in the picture but it is the dropped section of the wheel to the left. The bell is the raised section to the right, before the bead hump. As long as there is a long bell section on one side it makes it easier to trap the air in the wheel when using a cheetah to seat the beads.

One stance tard came in with some wheels he had a shop widen the barrels. Well the shop that did put a barrel on the back half of the wheel with an immediate drop and the front of the wheel had an immediate drop. We couldn't stretch a tire to fit on that wheel worth a E36 M3. We were even trying ratchet straps, ether, anything we could do.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
4/17/13 4:16 p.m.

I like that Anti-stance is the one blabbing all the stance tire techniques.
I'm interested by all that, if for no other reason than at my work we're not allowed to do anything even approaching stretching too small a tire like that.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/17/13 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

What are the chances of something like that coming unseated in a high speed corner like a decreasing radius on/off ramp, that I may or may not take at a higher than posted speed? I don't do the stretch and poke thing since I like performance, just curious if I should be watching for hard parkers like this.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/17/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to The0retical: You should be more worried about whole wheels falling off (I'm not joking )

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/17/13 4:29 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to The0retical: You should be more worried about whole wheels falling off (I'm not joking )

This sounds like the beginning of a good story.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
4/17/13 4:49 p.m.

In reply to The0retical: In the past year I've seen 2 stanced VWs on the side of the road with a missing front wheel, one of them was hard parked into a guard rail, the other one had obviously lost the wheel while in motion due to gouge marks in the pavement. Sadly I did not personally witness the actual events, only the aftermaths.

Edit: Another funny thing that I've seen is a Donk'd box body crown vic driving on severely bent rims.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/17/13 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

Gracias... But what is a cheetah?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/13 5:51 p.m.
SCARR wrote: In reply to Anti-stance: Gracias... But what is a cheetah?

EvanB
4/17/13 5:52 p.m.

It's actually this:

Open the valve and the high pressure air rushes out of the nozzle to inflate the tire quick enough to pop the bead on.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/17/13 5:56 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Oh.. So it is a safer thing than using starter fluid and a lighter.

EvanB
4/17/13 5:59 p.m.
SCARR wrote: In reply to EvanB: Oh.. So it is a less fun thing than using starter fluid and a lighter.

ftfy

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/17/13 6:15 p.m.

I know some of the local shops that will actually do that have a big rubber hoop that they stick on the rim too, to help the bead seat.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/17/13 6:20 p.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to Anti-stance: What are the chances of something like that coming unseated in a high speed corner like a decreasing radius on/off ramp, that I may or may not take at a higher than posted speed? I don't do the stretch and poke thing since I like performance, just curious if I should be watching for hard parkers like this.

That, I am not too sure of. In all honesty, I bet a light stretch like this one:

would probably be okay.

But this one:

I don't have a whole lotta faith in.

I really don't think these guys are trying to take corners fast so it's not really a worry to them.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/17/13 6:24 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I know some of the local shops that will actually do that have a big rubber hoop that they stick on the rim too, to help the bead seat.

We had one, but we never used it. We sent it back. We stretched a 155 on a 9" wheel because the wheel had a long enough bell and tall enough sidewall without that rubber ring.

As far as me hating stance cars but knowing how to do it... It's a paycheck. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean they are completely ignorant of the subject.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/17/13 6:36 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
mndsm wrote: I know some of the local shops that will actually do that have a big rubber hoop that they stick on the rim too, to help the bead seat.
We had one, but we never used it. We sent it back. We stretched a 155 on a 9" wheel because the wheel had a long enough bell and tall enough sidewall without that rubber ring. As far as me hating stance cars but knowing how to do it... It's a paycheck. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean they are completely ignorant of the subject.

I've always said I should start a giant dumb wheel shop. If the masses are going to spend huge $$$ on stupid mods, I might as well be the one profiting from it. I don't blame you in the least.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/17/13 6:45 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
The0retical wrote: In reply to Anti-stance: What are the chances of something like that coming unseated in a high speed corner like a decreasing radius on/off ramp, that I may or may not take at a higher than posted speed? I don't do the stretch and poke thing since I like performance, just curious if I should be watching for hard parkers like this.
That, I am not too sure of. In all honesty, I bet a light stretch like this one: would probably be okay. But this one: I don't have a whole lotta faith in. I really don't think these guys are trying to take corners fast so it's not really a worry to them.

Ya know, I like to play Devil's advocate, but that is the dumbest goddamned thing I've ever seen in my life.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/13 7:15 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I usually use sticky tires and just drive really fast. They do that just past the apex when I get on the power. They must be using a really fast shutter in that pic becuae it looks like it isn't even moving.

If he's just past the apex and is hard on the power, then he's gonna be in the grass pretty soon!

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/17/13 7:17 p.m.

Hmmm. Why doesn't someone just make a snap of ring to make the wheel look wider?

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/17/13 10:14 p.m.

They did, Sorta. The real bead in inboard.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
4/17/13 10:46 p.m.

Some level of stretch will stay seated decently enough, drifters have been running pretty severely stretched tires for years and I have to figure that going sideways would be pretty high up the list of things likely to pop the tire off the bead.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/18/13 7:00 a.m.

That poor Celica.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/18/13 7:29 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: They did, Sorta. The real bead in inboard.

Holy E36 M3. I’ve heard that in Australia (I think) and some other countries you have to run the size of tire the manufacture recommended. I found that out on C30 Forums as the C30 has a 215/45 18, which while not too hard to find, there are cheaper better sizes if you move up to a 225 section, they were bitching because they weren't allowed to do that. I always thought that was the most stupid law I'd ever heard of, but seeing something like that makes me thinks it's not such a bad idea. I mean really?!?! I don't get it. I know these trends start and people tend to take things to extremes, but that?? IT has to be an ironic joke poking fun at themselves doesn’t it? Please say yes?

I actually always thought the stretch thing came from trying to look like some old cross ply racing sedan racing tires form the early 70's.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
4/18/13 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I don't think it is inboard.. looking at the pics they just put a greatly wrong tire on a really wide wheel. look at the seamless chome lip.

BUT... if i had stupid money (as in money to just burn on stupid things) I would get myslef a set of the widest 15's I could find (I think i saw a place that will make 24" wide 15" wheels once) and weld an extra lip for the bead inboard... and then strap 185's on them on the miata. yep, that would be like a foot of wheel sticking out past the tire... with no stretch.

oh, the mad street cred I would get that day... I might be able to not buy a cheeseburger.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/13 9:08 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
That, I am not too sure of. In all honesty, I bet a light stretch like this one: would probably be okay. But this one: I don't have a whole lotta faith in. I really don't think these guys are trying to take corners fast so it's not really a worry to them.
Ya know, I like to play Devil's advocate, but that is the dumbest goddamned thing I've ever seen in my life.

It also looks like a prolapsed anus.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/18/13 10:12 a.m.

I tried, tried, tried, to find a pic of the rimz. There is a secondary, true bead on them. How the hell they stretched the tire over the "beauty" ring, I'll never know.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HgPQyzFyznFaTryz5bMCCdQWv2dTs2Z0We96Q3RLzMTEBbCWiZb6wgj56SGCxNlV