1 2 3 4
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/16 3:25 p.m.

For those of you who don't know, I haven't really had a date in 3 years. I had a few first dates, mostly because I wasn't going to turn anyone down. I'm definitely a catch, I'm just really picky.

So finally, a gal that I've been drooling over (backspace backspace backspace) interested in is now single and asked me out on a most intriguing date. We discovered a mutual fascination with Ikea, so we're road-tripping from Harrisburg PA to Baltimore to shop at Ikea and get lunch somewhere.

Also, for those of you who don't know me... I detest boring first dates like dinner or bars. I would rather hop a freight train or explore an abandoned building.

So the long story is, "yay, Curtis has a real date."

The short story is, we're looking for a place to get a nice (but not stuffy) lunch. Ikea is not really near downtown, its located kind of at 2 o'clock on the 695 beltway, but I wouldn't mind going downtown. I want somewhere to get really good food. The challenge is, not stuffy, normal, boring, fine dining, so not Prime Rib. Think whimsical and offbeat; befitting of a date as whimsical as a 2 hour road trip to Ikea. Not cheesy like Rainforest Cafe. Good food, an experience. I'm not trying to impress her (I'm 43. Over that) but I want it to be a good memory for both of us

....Aaaand GO.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/16 3:31 p.m.

Who can eat the most IKEA meatballs competition in the IKEA food court.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
12/16/16 3:32 p.m.

I second IKEA. You're going to be there anywhere, and the meatball platter is tasty

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/16/16 3:39 p.m.

I like the crab cakes at the harbor, but that's me.

Also, ikea does a mean Gravas lox if you want seafood.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/16 3:54 p.m.

I designed a restaurant right near the Whitemarsh Ikea called Red Brick Station. Don't know how swanky it is, but last time I was there, the food was still pretty good.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/16 4:02 p.m.

I also did a pretty swanky place directly across the way from RBS, called Bayou Blues Café, but it went bust about 5 or 6 years ago.

trucke
trucke Dork
12/16/16 4:07 p.m.

Ikea food is all frozen food heated up, so it really is not that great. But since you're in the store, it will be convenient.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
12/16/16 4:08 p.m.

Hit The Iron Rooster in Hunt Valley on your way back. Not a chain, great food, but I wouldn't call it swanky. There is 1 huge advantage though, if she likes it, it's close enough to Harrisburg for a 2nd date...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/16/16 4:13 p.m.

Make it special--tell her to dress fancy, and put yourself in a suit and tie. Be the perfect gentleman, open her car door, call her ma'am, pull her chair out, etc. Pull a candle out of your pocket and put it on the table.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/16 4:52 p.m.

Not swanky, but Pit Beef is an iconic B'almore food item. Been 30 years or so since I've been there and eaten Pit Beef so I couldn't recommend any place...

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/16 5:15 p.m.

These are getting me hungry. Keep em coming

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/16/16 5:22 p.m.

I have high expectations to what Curtis considers a strange date.
Of course, this date is focused on a "mattress store".

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
12/16/16 6:19 p.m.

Go to the restroom, change into a tux. Walk out, remove the allen wrench from the pocket (with great flourish), assemble a table and 2 chairs in the middle of the store (perhaps on the stair landing right outside of the restaurant). Plate up some meatballs, and a soft pretzel. Sit and enjoy.

Might not be swanky, but she'd remember it.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/16/16 6:21 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

My wife always makes me take her to Medieval times when we go to Baltimore. Then swoons over the horses and ignores me.........

We don't go to Baltimore very often anymore.

.......we had a membership to the national aquarium, when the Dolphins were retired we cancelled.......

So long and thanks for all the fish So sad that it should come to this We tried to warn you all but oh dear

You may not share our intellect Which might explain your disrespect For all the natural wonders that grow around you

So long, so long and thanks for all the fish

The world's about to be destroyed There's no point getting all annoyed Lie back and let the planet dissolve(around you)

Despite those nets of tuna fleets We thought that most of you were sweet Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

So long, so long and thanks for all the fish

If I had just one last wish I would like a tasty fish If we could just change one thing We would all have learned to sing.

Come one and all Man and Mammal Side by Side in life's great gene pool

(oooohhh oooohhh oooaahhhhh- ah ahh)

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

So long, so long and, !Thanks! for all the fish!

klb67
klb67 Reader
12/16/16 6:27 p.m.

Not the best time of year now, but my wife and I had a very enjoyable day wandering around Fells Point in Baltimore in May before a wedding. Stopped into wherever we wanted. Bought hats. I researched a few places to seek out, and we made it to a few. A bit touristy. The wedding was at the Peabody Library which was fabulous.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/16 6:32 p.m.

You have to go to Red Brick Station, just so you can casually drop "My friend Duke designed this place a few years ago..." into the conversation.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/16 6:54 p.m.

How do you feel about adding a little more drive time to come to the DC Ikea, then dinner here? Similar travel time from the DC Ikea to restaurants in the city vs. balt Ikea to inner harbor. The food WILL be better if you do.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/16 6:55 p.m.
Woody wrote: You have to go to Red Brick Station, just so you can casually drop *"My friend Duke designed this place a few years ago..."* into the conversation.

"...and sold me his car."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/16 7:00 p.m.

If you go into D.C. I strongly recommend a restaurant called Founding Farmers near GWU. It's excellent, and everything is organic and locally sourced. Not hideously expensive and not snooty at all.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/16/16 7:20 p.m.

Swankier than crab cakes in the inner harbor?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/16 7:47 p.m.

Nacho Mama's in Canton (amazing seafood/Mexican hybrid with margaritas served in hubcaps, I recommend the Anne Margaret margarita)

Clark Burger on York Road in north Baltimore just south of Towson (it's a Montreal style burger ship with poutine, lots of local craft beer and boozy milkshakes)

There's a deli called Ravage Deli in Perry Hall that's amazing.

Richardson's Farm is just east of White Marsh and has fantastic daily specials made from locally served suppliers.

captdownshift
12/16/16 7:50 p.m.

And for swanky, Parts and Labor

Abbey's Burger Bistro in Fells Point

or Woodbury Kitchen in Clipper Mill

Or The Food Market in Hampden, then to the Charmery for the most amazing ice cream is crazy flavors, old bay caramel?

captdownshift
12/16/16 7:54 p.m.

In reply to bluej:

Baltimore has restaurants that meet and exceed DC if you stay out of downtown, unless you're talking steak, DC does steak better than Baltimore.

captdownshift
12/16/16 8:00 p.m.

Aldo's in Little Italy if you want Italian

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
12/16/16 8:13 p.m.

Go to Youtube and watch an episode of diners, drive ins, and dives... Baltimore.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
tUiq2DnNN881R0p5GPFdi9n3uGyb2fwb0YKwwiQJLtnodRaQnEGAEdTH2fphMDv5