1 2 3 4
T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/6/17 9:48 a.m.

Anyone want to talk about any of the commercials this year? My thoughts I will keep to myself to not run afoul of site rules.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/17 9:53 a.m.

Alfa spent some money. Does that mean they're actually going to start selling cars here?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/6/17 10:11 a.m.

I liked their commercials. Not sure if that was money well spent or not, but I liked watching and listening to them.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/6/17 10:12 a.m.

It's obvious that it's no longer a thing to do a special & cool SB commercial.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
2/6/17 10:13 a.m.

Without getting political, was the 84 lumber one advocating illegal immigration? Note the word illegal please, I don't need a huge debate. I'm just trying to figure out if that was in fact the message.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 10:13 a.m.

I got an email from Alfa Romeo at the exact moment that the Alfa Romeo Halftime show began.

Also, I would like to own a new Alfa Romeo.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 10:14 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: It's obvious that it's no longer a thing to do a special & cool SB commercial.

Advertising has changed. TV is a dying medium if you are trying to reach youth like Mt. Dew, Dorittos, Taco Bell.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 10:15 a.m.
MDJeepGuy wrote: Without getting political, was the 84 lumber one advocating illegal immigration? Note the word illegal please, I don't need a huge debate. I'm just trying to figure out if that was in fact the message.

I resisted the urge to go to their website for more. I did not want to give into them tracking the activity as a success.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/6/17 10:18 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
carguy123 wrote: It's obvious that it's no longer a thing to do a special & cool SB commercial.
Advertising has changed. TV is a dying medium if you are trying to reach youth like Mt. Dew, Dorittos, Taco Bell.

I don't know if that part is true or not, but this years commercials sucked. Boring, boring, boring. I agree media is changing, but the Super Bowl is watched by a bazillion people, even young ones. I've seen some funny commercials aimed at youth markets on TV. Some made no attempts to be clever or amusing, and those that did lacked badly. Very disappointing.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/6/17 10:25 a.m.
MDJeepGuy wrote: Without getting political, was the 84 lumber one advocating illegal immigration? Note the word illegal please, I don't need a huge debate. I'm just trying to figure out if that was in fact the message.

From what I heard of what the original (not approved) commercial was, and the continuation they wanted you to watch, it seems like it could be possibly interpreted either way (it involves a wall with a door, good ones get through the door etc). As shown though, yes, clearly.

Interesting way to spend a LOT of money either way.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/6/17 10:26 a.m.

In general, the commercials in general did not grab me. With the amount of money they spend to air them, I would expect a bit more.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 10:30 a.m.

Lots of commercials aiming for the feeley or patriot bone, I never find them terribly interesting. The Alfa ones were fun simply because they were letting that car loose - none of the calm cruising around with "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt" at the bottom. They made the car actually look fast.

The Ford one with the guy on the chairlift, the little kid stuck in his tricycle, etc - that was fun, if only because my wife is a bad person and has a bad case of schadenfreude.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 10:30 a.m.

Coca Cola (which is a very international product) also played a very international commercial which seemed to walk a fine line of being neutral (or maybe not) on a current topic.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/6/17 10:33 a.m.

I hate the insipid "here's an inspiring message, brought to you by a multi-billion-dollar corporation - please buy our stuff" genre. It's impossible for me not to have the entire message turned into an eyeroll when the logos and weak attempts to tie it into corporate culture show up. The Audi ad was amazing right up until it showed the Audi. I wish it had just been a short art house film. I loved the intense soap box racing idea.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/6/17 10:33 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Not neutral at all IMHO based on the song choice they used. That was just one of several ads that made me wish to not give the advertiser any of my money.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 10:35 a.m.

I did genuinely chuckle at the kid down face first on his big wheel in the Ford ad.
In the same commercial, I found the image of the futuristic self driving car to be a little disingenuous with no reference to the Fusions they are using currently.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/17 10:36 a.m.

I laughed at the Kia one with Melissa McCarthy.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/6/17 10:43 a.m.

I thought the Peter Fonda Metcedes ad was clever.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/6/17 10:54 a.m.

I liked the ones with John Malcovich and Christopher Walken just because. I have no idea what they were selling.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/6/17 10:55 a.m.

I really want a Giulia. Other than that the Audi add was fun, the Peter Fonda ad was cool, the MM Kia ad was good. The rest were really unimpressive. I don't even remember the 84 Lumber one.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 10:58 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I don't even remember the 84 Lumber one.

Other than a logo on the screen at the last seconds, there was nothing about it that seemed or looked like a Lumber Company from 20 miles south of Pittsburgh.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/6/17 11:01 a.m.

The Mr. Clean ad was funny. I thought the Audi ad was preachy, and some of the others were a bit overly political. I don't need politics in my Super Bowl ads----- and was glad Lady Gaga avoided any angry political speeches--- she just did her thing......and did it pretty darn well.

I also liked the Alfa ads.......damn sexy car!

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
2/6/17 11:10 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Coca Cola (which is a very international product) also played a very international commercial which seemed to walk a fine line of being neutral (or maybe not) on a current topic.

All I can think is that these people that probably had pretty healthy diets have now come to America and are drinking that garbage.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/6/17 11:13 a.m.

I like this one, not because I like Brit cars.

Disappointed there was no Budweiser horse commercials.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/6/17 11:21 a.m.

A few of them weren't bad, but overall I've seen more interesting and engaging commercials on YouTube. It helps when they have fewer time restraints.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M13klNi12A15z2DZNQCrLkLPMP7EyxVXVF9CqFCDPYkGQmw4iz0kw4MNGtiISbiR