1 2 3 4
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 11:33 a.m.

That Guilia is a beautiful car!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 11:36 a.m.
yupididit wrote: That Guilia is a beautiful car!

Is it pronounced Julia?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 11:40 a.m.

It was pronounced that way in the commercial. But you know that everyone will pronounce it "Gooleeah". As a nation, we still can't spell Camaro after a half century, and now you want us to learn Eyetalian?

trucke
trucke Dork
2/6/17 11:40 a.m.

Not a Buick fan, but liked this commercial. Looked like Cam was having fun making it.

Buick ad with Cam Newton

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/6/17 11:45 a.m.

In reply to trucke:

Cam typically does a good job of having fun. That one was fun to watch.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 11:49 a.m.

Didn't watch the Superbowl or most of its ads, but based on what I've seen and heard today, I'm generally in favor of them

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/6/17 12:15 p.m.

The Mercedes easy rider one was directed by the Coen brothers.

That's all I got.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/6/17 12:20 p.m.

I liked the Mercedes one now that you mention it. That was pretty funny.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 12:24 p.m.

I still haven't see any of the commercials. Which I'm going to call a win this year, as last year they were all put online by the advertisers weeks before the Super Bowl, which really made me question ALL of the companies marketing decisions.

"We just paid a Million Dollars a Minute for ad time during the Super Bowl, let's put them on YouTube to advertise the fact 2 weeks before the game" was probably the biggest waste of advertising money and opportunity I'd ever seen.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/6/17 12:27 p.m.

Only one of interest for me was the Ghost in the Shell trailer. I'm a little less hot on it than I was despite trying to give it a chance.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
2/6/17 12:27 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

It's actually pretty smart. They got all sorts of playtime eyeballs during the Super Bowl AND they got a E36 M3 ton of views before and after on YouTube.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/6/17 1:07 p.m.

The Superbowl used to have the funniest commercials. Remember the one about herding cats? Or the one where the Cocacola guy takes a Pepsi off the shelf and sends the whole display tumbling down? Or even the "wasssup" commercials?

I didn't see one funny commercial last night. I don't sportsball; the only thing I watch the dang Superbowl for is the halftime show and the commercials.

At least the halftime show was good.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/6/17 1:22 p.m.

I would've only watched it for the commercials. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

slowride
slowride Dork
2/6/17 1:32 p.m.

I liked the Alfa commercial. I slept through halftime and the second half so I missed quite a few.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/6/17 1:35 p.m.

Only 16 minutes and 14 seconds of play

Not to knock football, but I was kinda surprised by that number.
Longest play was the Falcon's interception which took 15 seconds.

-Rob

lrrs
lrrs Reader
2/6/17 1:41 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: Only 16 minutes and 14 seconds of play Not to knock football, but I was kinda surprised by that number. Longest play was the Falcon's interception which took 15 seconds. -Rob

16 minutes, that's up from 12 in the 80s.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/6/17 1:47 p.m.

I really dug the thing Hyundai did at the end. That was really neat.

The Mercedes one looked cool but I had the sound off at that time because my wife was yelling some very important information at me which I have already forgotten.

I did not watch the halftime show because I despise that wretched wench. Her songs are terrible, her personality is nasty and terrible and she should die in a fire. (I have felt that way from the beginning of her career, it's not a reflection of the current political climate. No need to pile on)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 1:49 p.m.

In reply to lrrs:

As of 2013, regular season games are averaging 11 minutes with ball in play from an average 3 hour and 11 minute broadcast.

Never realized just how big a time suck these games are.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 1:54 p.m.

Die in a fire. Wow, drama! Go watch Prince's halftime show on YouTube, it'll calm you down.

lrrs wrote:
rob_lewis wrote: Only 16 minutes and 14 seconds of play Not to knock football, but I was kinda surprised by that number. Longest play was the Falcon's interception which took 15 seconds. -Rob
16 minutes, that's up from 12 in the 80s.

That's one of the cool things about football that people overlook. Because the actual amount of play is so short, all the guys are working at 100% effort. No pacing themselves like in a more endurance-oriented sport like soccer. So you've got these stupendous athletes going at each other all-out and being filmed from multiple angles. There's not much like it other than maybe hockey.

Counting the seconds the ball is actually moving is like counting an Olympic 100m event as only 9.x seconds of action with a lot of standing around.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/6/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Yeah, maybe die is a little too strong. How about horribly disfigured with un-repairable damage to the vocal chords?

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/6/17 2:33 p.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to lrrs: As of 2013, regular season games are averaging 11 minutes with ball in play from an average 3 hour and 11 minute broadcast. Never realized just how big a time suck these games are.

Maybe it's part of the CBA so that players don't have to spend as much time watching film.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/6/17 2:45 p.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to lrrs: As of 2013, regular season games are averaging 11 minutes with ball in play from an average 3 hour and 11 minute broadcast. Never realized just how big a time suck these games are.

No, they're not time sucks, we're just a ridiculously impatient microwave society. Football has been that way for oh so many years. The game doesn't lend itself to non-stop action. Guys can run the length of the field in under 10 seconds, so even the longest plays don't last very long. And the incredibly violent nature of the game means they can't do play after play after play non-stop. None of this has really changed. In fact, I'd say there's much more action in football now than there was years ago. But our society demands it all be done in a 30 minute time slot, because we can't pay attention any longer than that. Baseball is the same way.

Want a "sport" with minimal action, what about golf? I don't play or watch, but that's a game with almost no action. The swing takes what, .5 seconds? Then nothing for how long? But tons of people watch it.

The NFL certainly has issues, but overall, still a big fan.

trucke
trucke Dork
2/6/17 3:29 p.m.
Want a "sport" with minimal action, what about golf? I don't play or watch, but that's a game with almost no action. The swing takes what, .5 seconds? Then nothing for how long? But tons of people watch it.

My daughter and I went to a restaurant before the game and they had Pro Bowling on. Talk about making you drowsy.

As a Patriots fan, I almost called it a night at half-time. Glad I stayed up to watch it until the end. But it's really just too stressful. I mean, it's just a game and I got wound up.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/6/17 3:38 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Yeah, maybe die is a little too strong. How about horribly disfigured with un-repairable damage to the vocal chords?

Jeez, you're wasting a lot of personal energy and animosity on someone you don't even know. How about just ignore her massively successful career and move on? I don't listen to her music or have a single album of hers but I also don't bother wishing ill, injury, and death upon her personally.

There's no way you can live a happy and well adjusted life while going around hoping everyone you don't like dies or is horrifically maimed. Relax, live, and let live.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 3:39 p.m.

This is why I don't watch football. So much boredom. Take the funny commercials away, and there is no longer a reason to watch the Superbowl.

I did read a great book though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rJFzt0pHHCpAWAVBcAQgwj8XqyQkxrfUnEgCbg53V31Dw1DlQOor3HUGVMCdh3XD