1 2 3 4
Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/7/17 9:15 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Sky_Render wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's one of the cool things about football that people overlook. Because the actual amount of play is so short, all the guys are working at 100% effort. No pacing themselves like in a more endurance-oriented sport like soccer. So you've got these stupendous athletes going at each other all-out and being filmed from multiple angles. There's not much like it other than maybe hockey. Counting the seconds the ball is actually moving is like counting an Olympic 100m event as only 9.x seconds of action with a lot of standing around.
"Cool things"? That's why American football is so freaking stupid. I find it hysterical that so many football fans say baseball is boring because there's "so much standing around." Pot, meet kettle.
They are different games with different rhythms. I love football, it's by far my favorite sport. That doesn't mean I have to E36 M3 on other sports.

Exactly. Football and baseball are very different sports. About the only thing they have in common is the fact that there are breaks in the action. Beyond that, no comparison...and I enjoy baseball. It's just different. Very few sports have non-stop true "action". How many can you name? I agree with Keith that hockey comes about as close as I can think of. Lacrosse maybe.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/7/17 9:18 a.m.

Hockey, lacrosse, rugby. Soccer, kind of. Ancient Soccer beats modern soccer though.

At least is not cricket, those games can take days.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/7/17 10:15 a.m.

I'm not particularly a Lady Gaga fan, but I can respect the professionalism she put into the show. She got that she was there to entertain the audience, not shock, preach to, or annoy it. And the performance was well choreographed - even the "audience" waving flashlights. Even as a non pop music fan, I can respect the effort that went into a production like that.

The commercials - I kind of liked the Porsche one, and Alfa did pretty well too. OK, so non car guys might not be too much into commercials that are just the car on a winding road. Although my wife thought it was a good touch that the businessman in the Porsche ad had a wife whose age was at least in the same ballpark, instead of some model in her early 20s.

The Budweiser commercial made me wonder if Mr. Busch really did have to jump from a flaming steamboat in the middle of the night on the way to St. Louis. If the commercial is being accurate, that's a great story and a great commercial for telling it. If they embellished it, boo.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/17 10:30 a.m.

I suspect there was some pretty awesome tech in those lights. They were way too well coordinated for a group that size, live. I think they were positionally aware and effectively forming a meshed LCD screen. If you're a dancer and you move 2' to the left, your light knows it so it changes behavior.

The flaming steamboat kinda came out of nowhere. That Busch guy had a rough trip.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/7/17 10:38 a.m.
dculberson wrote: @joe: I bet televised autocross would get a whole lot of complaints about lack of action!!

In a televised state? It would have a ton of action. How many cars are on course at any given time? Usually, for most courses, 2-3 cars. There is rarely a moment when a single car isn't on course.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/7/17 10:38 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Sky_Render wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's one of the cool things about football that people overlook. Because the actual amount of play is so short, all the guys are working at 100% effort. No pacing themselves like in a more endurance-oriented sport like soccer. So you've got these stupendous athletes going at each other all-out and being filmed from multiple angles. There's not much like it other than maybe hockey. Counting the seconds the ball is actually moving is like counting an Olympic 100m event as only 9.x seconds of action with a lot of standing around.
"Cool things"? That's why American football is so freaking stupid. I find it hysterical that so many football fans say baseball is boring because there's "so much standing around." Pot, meet kettle.
They are different games with different rhythms. I love football, it's by far my favorite sport. That doesn't mean I have to E36 M3 on other sports.
Exactly. Football and baseball are very different sports. About the only thing they have in common is the fact that there are breaks in the action. Beyond that, no comparison...and I enjoy baseball. It's just different. Very few sports have non-stop true "action". How many can you name? I agree with Keith that hockey comes about as close as I can think of. Lacrosse maybe.

Basketball is pretty constantly moving; its stoppages are typically much quicker than those in hockey. Ultimate is always moving.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/17 11:10 a.m.

Constantly moving - but the athletes have to pace themselves because it's a long game with Ultimate. It's not a full sprint. With hockey, the rapid line changes mean the guys can go pretty hard. That was my point about football, it's a sprinting, full effort game all the way through. Add in the quality of the television coverage at the pro level and you get to see some spectacular performances that just isn't matched in many (any?) other sports.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/7/17 11:15 a.m.
mtn wrote: Basketball is pretty constantly moving; its stoppages are typically much quicker than those in hockey. Ultimate is always moving.

One thing that is thankfully pretty rare in football is:

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
2/7/17 4:02 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to dculberson: Nope, I'm a much happier person wishing I'll upon people I despise. It's only my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.
That's just it - you despise people you don't even know. Anger and hatred are not positive qualities and don't make your life better.
To be fare, I don't know the guy who ran me off the road on my motorcycle. But I want that bastard to die in a fire. Punching that dude in the nuts would , in fact, make my life better. But, that's, just, like...my opinion, man.

For some reason this reminds me that my dad really hated Mr. Rogers. I was a wee lad growing up in the 80s and couldn't watch the show around him. No idea what the beef was.

On-topic, didn't catch the halftime show live but watched it later on youtube, not a huge lady gaga fan (or a hater) but I thought it was a good performance, one of the more enjoyable halftime shows in recent memory.

I thought it was very weird that a lumber company advertised during the superbowl and even weirder that they would put a very polarizing political ad.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/7/17 6:25 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: ....I thought it was very weird that a lumber company advertised during the superbowl and even weirder that they would put a very polarizing political ad.

As noted above, if you look into it, the full add is a lot more neutral of an add (shown in the continuation they mention in the add). I heard they may have rejected an add more like the full add (?)

It DID however get a LOT of publicity for the company (I had never heard of it before), so maybe goal accomplished?

People Article on Add

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/7/17 7:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That was my point about football, it's a sprinting, full effort game all the way through.

Apparently, nobody told the Falcons this, 'cause they stopped sprinting and giving full effort after 3 quarters...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hcMrbQOvSk2EOxPdwx5FgMuAmDZjCnh0rWHakaqbrdTHP3SnDIKmqubFPg25Ktqd