1 2
DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

That watch is having quite a moment right now with a new reissue that isn't accurate enough. You're sitting on some $$$$. And it's called a Pogue because that was the name of the astronaut that wore it to Skylab in 1973 and it was the first automatic chronograph flown into space. The reissue that came out this year is missing the most important feature - the automatic chronograph. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/18/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I like it, and I'm a Bulova owner too

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/18/24 10:50 a.m.

Vostok is a good brand of Soviet watch and has an interesting way of sealing.   Talk about a tank....

I wear Citizen Eco Drive as my daily.  It's the only every day watch for me and I've many.  Check Costco for watches

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
7/18/24 1:02 p.m.

SWMBO wanted to get me a watch for our anniversary, so she ordered me a Garmin Smart Watch and the Seiko SRPH33, and told me to pick which one to keep

While the Garmin Smart Watch is great, and what I ended up keeping, good lord was that Seiko Sharp.  I will be buying one after I sell some stuff.  It was a tough choice

https://www.amazon.com/SRPH33-41-Hour-Reserve-Stainless-Resistant/dp/B09MG7D243

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
7/18/24 5:40 p.m.

Once I get over my built-in "I don't need to spend that dough on something like this" issue, I will probably buy an Oris. They're one of the last Swiss independents, and they are a concourse d'Lemons sponsor...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/24 5:56 p.m.

I have two Vostok watches and they both bit the dust after about three years.  They were not expesive, even coming from Russia, but I wish they lasted longer.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

They're actually substantially the ones that re-piqued my interest, and for exactly that reason. Er, reasons. In a world of over the top prestige-mongering, I kinda love a watch brand with a sense of humor. And I have a similar aversion to spending that much, through protracted pondering and understanding the differences may eventually get me there?

Tissot definitely has a couple that are more on the dot for me, aesthetically. I suppose at some point the right bits of understanding will collide with one that's more like what I was looking for than I knew. Perhaps I can get $80 worth of enjoyment out of a Soviet watch while having a ticking thing to keep me amused 'til I find what I'm looking for.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
7/18/24 8:45 p.m.

I'll second the Hamiltons, I've had two and loved both. Definitely want more. 

Here, for when you want to window shop: https://www.jomashop.com/filters/automatic-watches?gender=Men%27s%7CUnisex&color=White&price=%7B%22from%22%3A300%2C%22to%22%3A500%7D

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/18/24 11:28 p.m.

Another Hamilton automatic fanboi here.  I've had a Khaki Frogman in titanium for many years now.  I've also been happy with my Seiko 5 automatic and my Timex Giorgio Galli S1 automatic.  These two were both reasonably priced.  Swatch Sistem51 are automatics with an interesting story and engineering/manufacturing method behind them.  

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/24 11:36 p.m.

You want a Seiko 5 or a Seiko diver =)

Most watch companies just purchase a movement and put it into their own case. Of the commonly known brands, Rolex and Seiko are the  ones that design, manufacturer and sell their own movements as well as cases, bands, etc. 

In 1968 the Swiss stopped having their annual chronometer competition because Seiko was about to beat them at their own game: https://www.plus9time.com/seiko-the-neuchtel-chronometer-competition

Commander Pogue didn't trust his Omega, wore his a Seiko chronograph as well to Skylab: https://www.beyondthedial.com/post/collector-guide-the-seiko-pogue 

If Seiko is the Toyota of wrist watches, then the SKX007 is the Toyot hilux, Grand Seiko is the Lexus line, and Seiko Tuna is the Land Cruiser. Whatever you get, make sure you get the chance to try it on your wrist first!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
7/19/24 12:16 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

my ideal is probably a simple white dial with black Arabic numerals and hour, minute, and second hands.

What's called a field watch usually has Arabic numerals. How about this?

edit: d'oh! already mentioned, that's what I get for skimming

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
7/19/24 7:41 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

FWIW, I have a Soviet watch. A medical watch. It’s way cool and very unique. Then it stopped working, so I took it to a trusted local jeweler–all pot metal inside, he said, so not worth fixing. A gear broke. 

I wear a Tissot PRS 516 as my daily. It’s mechanical, looks cool and has a motorsports tie-in. I like the size and the heft. Plus I can read it. I swapped out the metal bracelet for the NATO strap. 

I was intrigued by this, so obviously had to look it up:

https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/watches/tissot-pr516-review

Basically a F2 driver gave Tissot an autograph and said he always wears his Tissot while racing, so Tissot made the PR 516 to be more robust to withstand auto racing, then they made a chronograph version for lap timing.

And you can get one brand new for $500

I've toyed with the idea of watches the past few years (as do most car guys apparently), but this would definitely be a contender for my first real watch

Edit: just realized the mechanical version of the new version is $1800, and the quartz is $500

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/19/24 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

I showed this in the other watch thread, but since we're on the PR516 here I'll post it again. Got it from my father, just had it overhauled. Not sure about the exact date, but probably circa 1970.

The markers actually sit above the hands, and the hour ticks extend and overlap the minute hand (you can just see it in the photo), which is sort of unique according to the guy who did the overhaul. The recent reissue apparently omits this part of the design.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/19/24 8:57 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

This is what I got from my wife for xmas: 

https://seikousa.com/collections/seiko5sports/products/srph29

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/19/24 5:13 p.m.
OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
7/19/24 5:43 p.m.

I have two Seikos, a dive my father gave me and a newer Speedtimer solar . Great watches

This is the watch I am obsessed with right now. A reproduction of the watch Frank Bullitt wore in Bulllitt. It is civilian version of a military issued field watch from Vietnam War era.

Benrus 3061 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/21/24 7:11 p.m.

Seiko or Hamilton have nice 'budget' autos... also nice higher priced lines (Grand Seiko's would be my choice if wanted to spend thousands on a watch). Citizen also nice watches, but most of their designs are not that appealing to my taste. Timex or most inexpensive boutique off-brands don't have same quality movements as those of Seiko and Hamilton.

There are boutique brands which use nice high quality movements and have very limited production runs in product lines for under $1k... a la Magrette with their limited production (100 to 500) of each watch using very good movements (the proven workhorses from Miyota, ETA, or Sellita). The Magrette Dual Time I have is one of my most favorite watches... great Miyota 9015 movement with a more unique case/dial design, domed sapphire crystal and insanely bright & long lasting Super-LumiNova C3 on hands/dial. It can work for every day wear and the most formal type event - it doesn't look out of place, just swap band type to suit occasion. Cheapest Magrette will run ~ $700...and custom engraved ones run couple to many thousands for the very limited hand-engraved runs (10 to 20).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 12:11 a.m.

I remember these being close to $300 a few years ago, I would be tempted to order this right now if I wasn't dangerously broke:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/375363140498

xantiamoor
xantiamoor New Reader
9/29/24 8:25 a.m.

Speaking of history, the Pogue's backstory is fascinating! I can totally understand why the original holds such value. It’s a bummer that the reissue missed the mark with that automatic chronograph; it’s like losing the soul of the watch. I'm new here and loving the discussions!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f1qDRtoXNopVowuZ2adwLCn1BMRsnboRBnov3RS3VPKB8LKe2AryGNkb0RBNH9uM