924guy
924guy Dork
4/4/12 6:56 a.m.

Hey all,

Im helping out my gals cousins, and have been prepping a Hot Rod they're hoping to sell at the Barrett-Jackson Auction this weekend in (west) Palm Beach. I've got her running fairly well, and will be flushing the fuel system today since its been sitting quite awhile. Its also heavily cammed and sounds like a harley, so tuning this thing is old school by ear and trial and error. I have made good progress, despite the fact its been 20 years or more since I've worked on anything with a carb that's bigger than a lawn mower...

The ride itself is interesting, as its a full kit based on a T-Bucket (1923 or so?) and the drive-train is corvette. So yes, it weighs nothing and has a nicely massaged 327 Chevy and open headers and is heavily cammed. It also has drum brakes in the rear, and no front brakes at all. they're not broken, they don't exist. the body is fiberglass and it has no opening doors, so you have be able to climb in. It also has cool skulls and opera lights, kind of Eddie Munsterish.. It is fun to work on, and today I ll test drive it, hopefully ill live, its a beasty...

Photobucket

Anyhow, they've also asked me to help at the actual auction, assuming they got all there paperwork in on time (its not on their site yet, hopefully they make the deadline.)

Anyone have any tips ? does someone have to be with the car the whole time or is just a set up and forget until its staged type of deal? I have no idea what they expect to get for it, iI havent even asked, anybody have an idea of what range this might fall in?

thanks in advance,

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/4/12 7:26 a.m.

I can put you in touch with someone who tried that route. Be aware that they show it live. His car came up during a commercial break so they shoved it across the block without any effort at all and he didn't make reserve. It was a really nice car, too.

924guy
924guy Dork
4/4/12 8:50 a.m.

Thanks Duke, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately... they just called and said they changed their mind about Barrett , though I couldve used the bit of commission for helping out. It was all last minute and rushed anyway, which is never a good thing..except of course for the bit of resuscitation on the car. Im still going to test drive it later!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
4/4/12 8:52 a.m.

Man we were typing at the same time. EDIT

Will not sell unless its insanely cheap. Period... Like four digits cheap.

T buckets don't bring big money there, add in the glass body, the lack of proper breaks and it is not a traditional build which is what people are buying now.

I wish you luck and there is somebody for every seat but that is not the type of car you sell at BJ, or even a local Mecham.

If you have a reserve you are going to be wasting a weekend.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/4/12 9:36 a.m.

B/J isn't in the business of selling cars, they're selling the "barrett jackson experience".

It's a dick swinging contest for a bunch of rich guys.

A couple of our customers have bought several cars from the auction and for the most part they've not been worth what they paid for them.

The other side of that coin, you may not get even close to what you wanted for the car.

Good luck with your auction.

Shawn

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/4/12 1:28 p.m.

Do you have a tiny penis? Yes? You're good to go. Wait, ignore that. You're selling not buying. Uhh...good luck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PdLfi0Gxu8azR5I1ZX58WOm9KOdjcW73Fni0TbujvQWj5LaOqRPpvMW8UhLf3sPh