1 2
dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/20/20 1:13 p.m.

Once again, all fantastic information. Thank you all!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/20/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I wish everyone who wanted to do wood working would call up Woodmizer. They will give you contact numbers of anyone  who bought one of their machines.  Even in desert states they sell woodmizer. Visit a couple and always be sure to ask who does pallet wood nearby?   Those small sawmills are a treasure trove of cheap wood.   
   They will have small lots of wood they don't get much of. Boxelder, Hackberry,  Elm, Iron wood, etc.  Who knows where you live.  Buy wood from places like that. 
in 1998 I bought 55,000 bd ft of hardwood like cherry, Black walnut,  Maple, White oak,  etc.  and paid about $23,000 some were great big timbers 24' long 12"x12"  others were 1 inch thick boards from 4" wide to 24" wide. 
      Unlike wood you buy from a store these boards were slightly over 1 inch thick  ( instead of 3/4 ) and actual size rather than dimensional. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/20/20 5:31 p.m.

I used to watch Norm’s show, thinking “he obviously doesn’t realize that some of us don’t have access to wood like that!”

’Course, I don’t have his talent, either. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/22/20 5:34 p.m.
03Panther said:

I used to watch Norm’s show, thinking “he obviously doesn’t realize that some of us don’t have access to wood like that!”

You simply don't know where to look.  Please read what I have written. Wood is out there at very affordable prices. Just not in lumber stores.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
12/23/20 6:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Good clamps, planer, table saws, routers, joiner......start spending money.  

Then spool up Norm and his New Yankee Workshop shows on YouTube and get an idea of what the pros do.  

We used to watch that all the time. Always joked that it would make a great drinking game. Tack it with a brad, drink!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/23/20 7:03 p.m.
frenchyd said:
03Panther said:

You simply don't know where to look.  Please read what I have written. Wood is out there at very affordable prices. Just not in lumber stores.

Other than cutting my own trees, you are correct. I simply don't know where to look. Maybe you can come down here where we don't have access to those places, or species of wood, and you can show me what I simply don't have? Now, my lack of talent, might be hard to fix. But re-reading prolly won't fix that either.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/23/20 7:12 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

http://robersonsawmillandlumber.com/

That's the type of place you need. Google wood mills and saw Mills. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/23/20 7:32 p.m.

When I was still in S.E. VA, there was nothing around. I might have been able to find a bit better wood out in the mountains several hours away, but I didn't have a place to do any woodworking, so I didn't try too hard.

Here in L. Alabam' , Cooks Saw Mills is right down the road. They assemble very nice mills. They also mill some wood... have a good price on pine... we grow A LOT of pine here...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r7371AmuTruOac043QofxsBwZsKN3oFBOogGIOTqPloSgfzyB35h5lrPqVrMFhP8