1 2 3 4
Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/28/09 1:04 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: sadly, this sounds like the majority of OSU fans that i've encountered. "if we can't beat 'em, hope they have a career ending injury! yeah! that'll make us feel better about not being good enough!"

Where did I say I wanted a career-ending injury? Unless he plans on retiring the next week, I guess.

So it sounds like my dislike for UF is almost as strong as your hatred for OSU, right? At least I tried to be respectful about it.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/09 1:17 p.m.

As a Florida fan you can ask anyone who has had the conversation with me, Tim Tebow could be the best college football player ever but I think he is an awful quarterback. I think if he goes to the next level it will be as a tight end or a fullback... or team chaplain.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/28/09 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Kramer:

i don't have a hatred for OSU, it just irritates the hell out of me when people get so worked up over a college game that they will do things like get in fistfights or curse out old ladies just because someone is wearing a different color shirt.

there are a few teams that have fans that come to texas and act like jackasses, OSU is just one of them, Oklahoma and Arkansas are a couple others.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
9/28/09 2:31 p.m.

yeah, u think u got it bad in Texas? I live in Ohio...try putting up with OSU fans when theyre on their own turf...

jeeeesh

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/28/09 2:35 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to Kramer: i don't have a hatred for OSU, it just irritates the hell out of me when people get so worked up over a college game that they will do things like get in fistfights or curse out old ladies just because someone is wearing a different color shirt. there are a few teams that have fans that come to texas and act like jackasses, OSU is just one of them, Oklahoma and Arkansas are a couple others.

I know. Larry Foote's father (when Jr played at UM) helped prevent some drunk UM fans from assaulting me and my brother. At a bowl game in 2001, a drunken South Carolina fan was acting like a total ass until his friends came in to stop him.

I've seen fans fight at MLB and NFL games. I've even seen fights among ECHL (East Coast Hockey League) fans. Americans seem to take much pride in their sports, but it's not just an American thing--I've also seen heated situations at an F1 race. Don't confuse pride with asshatedry. And don't forget, sobriety and humility often go hand-in-hand.

John Brown
9/28/09 3:22 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: yeah, u think u got it bad in Texas? I live in Ohio...try putting up with OSU fans when theyre on their own turf... jeeeesh

A buddy of mine had a blue enclosed car trailer with a big M emblazoned on the rear gate. They had two right side flats in Columbus. The story Dave tells about the carnage to follow is hilarious.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/09 3:44 p.m.
Kramer wrote: I've seen fans fight at MLB and NFL games. I've even seen fights among ECHL (East Coast Hockey League) fans. Americans seem to take much pride in their sports, but it's not just an American thing--I've also seen heated situations at an F1 race. Don't confuse pride with asshatedry. And don't forget, sobriety and humility often go hand-in-hand.

Even Raiders fans can't hold a candle to British soccer fans. If your passport has to get pulled before a sporting event you have some issues.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/28/09 4:27 p.m.
Kramer wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: I don't hate the guy, he seems nice enough and he's certainly a great player. Being a Big Ten fan, I don't really have much of an opinion on SEC players from a football standpoint. Having said that... I'm just tired of hearing about the guy and how wonderful he is in the sports media. I'm tired of hearing about his stupid speech from last year, I'm tired of hearing about how just spending a few minutes with him would make me a better person, I'm tired of the hype, not the person.
+1. He is a good kid, and a very good football player. For the media to put him on a pedestal is stupid (and there's really no one to blame). I hope he's hurt so badly that he won't be able to practice for another week. I don't want him to be permanently disabled or injured--just enough so that he always remembers this hit, and for that reason alone, he never plays to his fullest ability. Hopefully, he has to rely on something other than football to make a living for the rest of his life. I'm proud to be a Buckeye fan.

I had to read that twice to get the jist of it...

Basically, you're saying: I hope you get into a big car accident. Not one where anybody dies, or even gets permanently injured. But big enough that you'll never be able to drive without a small part of you terrified that you get hit again.

Damn, that statement makes me (you) a sick berkeleyer!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/28/09 4:51 p.m.

For those who don't know...

Tebow:

-Was the first player ever to win the Heisman as a SOPHOMORE, was a finalist again as a junior, has an excellent chance (assuming good health) of winning it a second time as a senior. Only 1 player has ever won twice, and no one has ever been a finalist 3 times.

-Was the first college football player ever to both rush AND pass for 20 touchdowns in a season.

-Was instrumental in helping FL win it's first National Championship in 10 years.

-Is currently 1 touchdown away from breaking Herschel Walker's college career record for TD's rushing- and Herschel Walker was a RUNNING BACK.

-And the list of awards and accolades goes on for a LONG time.

So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with those who are not impressed with his football abilities.

John Brown
9/28/09 4:54 p.m.

IIRC isn't he an academic all american and deans list scholar or some crap like.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/28/09 4:58 p.m.

Probably. He's one of those guys who is perfect at everything he touches.

He'll also get the girl when it is all over.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/09 5:48 p.m.

but he won't get to second base until he's married

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/09 6:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Probably. He's one of those guys who is perfect at everything he touches. He'll also get the girl when it is all over.

He can have her.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/28/09 7:11 p.m.
SVreX wrote: For those who don't know... Tebow: -Was the first player ever to win the Heisman as a SOPHOMORE, was a finalist again as a junior, has an excellent chance (assuming good health) of winning it a second time as a senior. Only 1 player has ever won twice, and no one has ever been a finalist 3 times. -Was the first college football player ever to both rush AND pass for 20 touchdowns in a season. -Was instrumental in helping FL win it's first National Championship in 10 years. -Is currently 1 touchdown away from breaking Herschel Walker's college career record for TD's rushing- and Herschel Walker was a RUNNING BACK. -And the list of awards and accolades goes on for a LONG time. So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with those who are not impressed with his football abilities.

I think the guy is probably one of the finest athletes in recent history, and the fact that he seems to be a decent guy in a world sometimes populated by notorious d-bags is another mark in his favor.

I feel bad for him, though, that he's played in a system that has not prepared him to make the next step. The way he's used in the UF system simply wouldn't cut it in the pro game, and as we saw in the Tennessee game, he's just not comfortable making the difficult throws.

I'd like to see him go the the NFL as a Dallas Clark/Tony Gonzales style tight end. I think a guy with his natural abilities could rewrite a lot of records in that position. As a QB, he'd be in a coma or on the bench in half a season.

jg

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/28/09 7:18 p.m.
Wally wrote: My condolences

I'm a redskin fan, can I have a little of those condolences ?

bamalama
bamalama Reader
9/28/09 7:21 p.m.

He made some pretty difficult throws last year in the SEC Championship game.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/28/09 7:27 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to Kramer: , it just irritates the hell out of me when people get so worked up over a college game that they will do things like get in fistfights or curse out old ladies just because someone is wearing a different color shirt.

It's not just the college game... I was at a Falcons Giants game several yrs ago while wearing a Redskins jersey and almost had to fight my way out of the stadium.... I think the others had had a few "adult" malt beverages...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/28/09 7:30 p.m.

JG-they have been working really hard on his throwing motion. Basically created an entire new, more correct, motion. No real reason if they were just worried about college. Actually a detriment to his current throwing ability. Meyer is trying to help him succeed at the next level. I think the problem is most of his passing options open up because everyone is scared of his run. When he stays in the pocket most of the time there's no run threat, so no easy throws. I hope they pull it off.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
9/28/09 7:54 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: There are just some people that I hate simply because of their face....like Tom Brady.

Eleventy billion +1.

I'd love to mash Brady's face. With a lead filled snowshoe.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/28/09 8:19 p.m.
Josh wrote: Oh, so you guys don't like sports? I wish I could be that cool. You know that guy at work, the one who drives a Prius and thinks nobody should be allowed to build a car that has more than 150 horsepower or gets less than 40 miles per gallon? You're all that guy right now.

I like sports, i hope this wasnt directed at me. I just dont follow college football.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
9/28/09 9:01 p.m.
GlennS wrote:
Josh wrote: Oh, so you guys don't like sports? I wish I could be that cool. You know that guy at work, the one who drives a Prius and thinks nobody should be allowed to build a car that has more than 150 horsepower or gets less than 40 miles per gallon? You're all that guy right now.
I like sports, i hope this wasnt directed at me. I just dont follow college football.

That was probably a bit harsh, but it was sort of annoying to read the first 3 replies all basically saying, "I don't care about this, so why should anyone else?"

I am not a big college FB fan either, but the replies reeked of knee-jerk sports hate. Or at least Florida hate. If one isn't interested in the topic at hand, why post in the thread?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/28/09 10:09 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
SVreX wrote: Probably. He's one of those guys who is perfect at everything he touches. He'll also get the girl when it is all over.
He can have her.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/28/09 10:14 p.m.
Josh wrote:
GlennS wrote:
That was probably a bit harsh, but it was sort of annoying to read the first 3 replies all basically saying, "I don't care about this, so why should anyone else?" I am not a big college FB fan either, but the replies reeked of knee-jerk sports hate. Or at least Florida hate. If one isn't interested in the topic at hand, why post in the thread?

The point of my post was to show how easily the second poster could have figured out what the OP was talking about. It also gave a bit of context to anyone who isnt up to speed on the Florida Gators.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/28/09 11:07 p.m.

From what we have seen of Tebow, hating him is like hating Paul Newman. As a star athlete one is a role model whether they like it or not; at least he is using his fame to spread a positive message.

Despite Tebow not being a traditional QB, I think most professional teams see his name as excellent PR for their program. He will find his niche.

Speedjw
Speedjw New Reader
9/29/09 9:39 a.m.

BTW, Meyer says Tebow will be practicing and ready to play LSU (for those of you who care)...

GO GATORS!!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t0PiL1wtlyL1G073l75zm8q0xat4eZ0VtSC7SDXrvTojObqySjMIJ5pAaPqZYRyi