1 2 3 4
Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
10/31/23 7:55 p.m.

If you have a store that specializes in British foods, get some of the British versions of American candy bars.  Like Kit Kats.  They use different chocolate.  It is better.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/23 8:13 p.m.
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

If you have a store that specializes in British foods, get some of the British versions of American candy bars.  Like Kit Kats.  They use different chocolate.  It is better.

Kit Kats are made by Nestle everywhere but the US who are made by Hershey. So just slip over the border and you're good to go. Grab a Coffee Crisp while you're at it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/23 8:15 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Grab a box of coffee crisp and sell me half.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/31/23 9:17 p.m.

I'm kinda partial to dark chocolate kitkats, but they're hard to find.  Barring them, I'm a baby Ruth guy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/31/23 9:52 p.m.

The real answer to this thread is Zagnut. Always will be.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/23 10:35 p.m.
mtn said:

I'm partial to a watchamacallit. But the Baby Ruth is easily among the top 5 candy bars widely available in the US.

The pool we went to as kids had watchamacallits in the freezer. Every time I would buy one. Every time I would almost break my teeth. Every. Time.

I stole a 100 Grand from one of the kids' buckets this year and really liked it.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
10/31/23 10:53 p.m.

Used to be a Heath guy... tried one of these ... I have now converted.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/2/23 9:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Tony Sestito said:

Another unsung hero in the Great Candy Bar Wars is the Sky Bar:

This one rules. It has something for everyone!

Is that real? If so, dang, I should get out more. 

Maybe it's just a Boston-area thing? The now-defunct Necco Wafer Company made these. They were famous for those wretched, chalky wafer things, but snuck the Skybar out the back door. When Necco went under a few years back, another local company bought the rights and machinery to keep making these awesome candy bars. You can order them online from a bunch of places, but I bet the old-style general store kind of nostalgia shops would definitely have them. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/23 9:31 p.m.

I confess, I am a candy junky. There is a historical documentary somewhere chronicling the rise of the famous candy bars of the early 1900s and their originators. I unfortunately get tired of even the best candy bar, except for Scotcheroos. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/23 9:51 p.m.

I bet that a lot of this stuff is regional, because there are a bunch of them here that I've never heard of. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/3/23 8:24 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I bet that a lot of this stuff is regional, because there are a bunch of them here that I've never heard of. 

Someone else thinks it's regional also.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/23 8:45 a.m.

Baby Ruth - Yes

Skor - Yes

Toblerone - Yes

I learned about these when we lived in Germany:

Its hard for me to resist getting one when I see them.  They also used to make a milk chocolate and yogert one that was awesome.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/3/23 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Those are really good. They also make one with corn flakes in it that sounds weird but is also great! 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/3/23 9:50 a.m.

My old favs were any candy bar you could eat in layers.  Twix is a good example.  So are Kit Kats.  Something satisfying about eating a candy bar top-down, instead of longways.  

Nowadays, though, this is the stuff:

Endangered Species Natural Chocolate Bars - Dark Chocolate - 88 Percent Cocoa - 3 oz Bars - Case of 12

Bonus, my co-workers won't touch it.  One of them tried to steal some one time, then asked me why I like chocolate that tastes like dirt.  To which I replied, why are you stealing my chocolate?

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/3/23 9:51 a.m.

Not to be a troll but I'd rather eat a plain Hershey's bar than most of these (I agree with the no-nuts rule).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/23 10:00 a.m.
Sarah Young said:

Not to be a troll but I'd rather eat a plain Hershey's bar than most of these (I agree with the no-nuts rule).

To each their own, but I won't touch a plain Hershey bar.  The only real place for those is in a s'more.

And even s'mores are better with Special Dark.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/3/23 10:14 a.m.

The Marathon Bar was also an all-timer. I knew they had been discontinued, but I didn't realize it had been OVER 40 YEARS since they were dropped, way back in '81. They got less than a decade to showcase their chocolatey-covered caramel goodness.

Apparently there's a Cadbury version available in the UK, and via Amazon and some World Market's called the Curlywurly. Maybe they should have focus-grouped th name a little more, but Cadbury makes some good chocolate. A few of these might be worth the trip to World Market this weekend. I can get some avocado oil, too and pretend I went there for healthy food.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/3/23 1:07 p.m.

Everyone's candy choices suck.  Except anyone who said Reese's Cups or related peanut butter containing candy.  I'll see myself out. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/23 1:32 p.m.

72% dark chocolate with smoked birch Icelandic Sea salt infused with Durban Poison RSO at 5mg per an oz. of chocolate. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/3/23 1:35 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

72% dark chocolate with smoked birch Icelandic Sea salt infused with Durban Poison RSO at 5mg per an oz. of chocolate. 

Sounds like fun. Is it legal? cheeky

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/23 1:42 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Everyone's candy choices suck.  Except anyone who said Reese's Cups or related peanut butter containing candy.  I'll see myself out. 

If you like Reese's, bring your kids to Smithton next year, I swear they sponsored the trick or treat.

I prefer Boyers, but even 2 hours outside Altoona, they're hard to come by

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/23 2:17 p.m.
914Driver said:

I realize it was 20+ years ago, but when I worked at QT in high school and college, no one ever bought Hot Tamales. So I'm curious where that came from. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/23 3:21 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

The Marathon Bar was also an all-timer. I knew they had been discontinued, but I didn't realize it had been OVER 40 YEARS since they were dropped, way back in '81. They got less than a decade to showcase their chocolatey-covered caramel goodness.

The problem was that it took most of that decade to consume a single Marathon bar.

Have we learned nothing from Quick Karl?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/3/23 3:24 p.m.
914Driver said:

FL for the win!

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/23 8:06 p.m.

How about Hershey's Kisses, Rasions, Nuts of your choice in a bowl? My favorite is No-Bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyzAx4pdo7m4BWFhzaz5oWt1nCGgSbDFtT0KzkKEDFjyApjsKscp0Woyc4Tasl34