1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
1/5/16 11:55 a.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: When Poe and Finn were escaping in the TIE fighter blasting the crap out of the hanger bay.

Welp. there's only one thing to be done, then. Back to see it again this Saturday

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
1/5/16 12:25 p.m.

Does anyone else agree with my opinion that Maz has just GOT to be an Episcopalian? Think about it; highly spiritual/worshipful of the Force without being "religious", personally trustworthy, doesn't care what anyone's opinion of her is, doesn't sugar-coat anything, drinks adult beverages, runs a bar and hangs out with/plays host to galactic scoundrels. She is actually one of my favorites of the new characters. Wait... did I just describe a number of GRMers?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/5/16 2:53 p.m.

Totally.

Source: Is Episcopalian.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
1/5/16 5:49 p.m.

Saw it last weekend with the wife. She hated it and I was like E36 M3 this is berkeleying awesome but was let down on some poorly played out key elements/rehash. Regardless, I want to see it again. I have two young/little ones that I want to take along. My wife says no way, It's PG-13. So, those that went with kids under 13. What ages were the kids that you took to see this movie? Help me GRMer's, you're my only hope.

Dave
Dave Reader
1/5/16 5:54 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Saw it last weekend with the wife. She hated it and I was like E36 M3 this is berkeleying awesome but was let down on some poorly played out key elements/rehash. Regardless, I want to see it again. I have two young/little ones that I want to take along. My wife says no way, It's PG-13. So, those that went with kids under 13. What ages were the kids that you took to see this movie? Help me GRMer's, you're my only hope.

I took my 8, 11 and 13 year old. It was just fine for all in my opinion.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/5/16 5:58 p.m.

Saw an opinion online that Rey might be a Kenobi. Obiwan might have been bored hanging around Tatooine all those years...

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
1/5/16 6:15 p.m.

The youngest kid I took was 10. Our friends brought their 6 year old.I dont think I would have brought a 6 year old but he seemed to survive just fine. Light saber violence doesnt seem to haunt them much

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
1/5/16 6:21 p.m.
BlindPirate wrote: The youngest kid I took was 10. Our friends brought their 6 year old.I dont think I would have brought a 6 year old but he seemed to survive just fine. Light saber violence doesnt seem to haunt them much

The wife says the space creatures are too much for little kids as well as anything being shot at and the killing of Han Solo with a light saber.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
1/6/16 8:02 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: So, those that went with kids under 13. What ages were the kids that you took to see this movie? Help me GRMer's, you're my only hope.

Both times I saw it w/ SWMBO and her 11yr old daughter. Huge Star Wars geek (along with Dr Who and Minecraft) & was mesmorized having never seen a Star Wars movie in the theater.

Tell her it's Disney, after all.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 8:13 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:
BlindPirate wrote: The youngest kid I took was 10. Our friends brought their 6 year old.I dont think I would have brought a 6 year old but he seemed to survive just fine. Light saber violence doesnt seem to haunt them much
The wife says the space creatures are too much for little kids as well as anything being shot at and the killing of Han Solo with a light saber.

If you can't let your kids see "anything being shot at" then this movie is one of the last movies your kids should ever see. Han Solo's death isn't particularly violent or gory. There is one space monster that could scare little kids. Also there are some gruesome scenes of burnt-up corpses...worse than in Ep4.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/6/16 9:00 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Saw an opinion online that Rey might be a Kenobi. Obiwan might have been bored hanging around Tatooine all those years...

Possibly. I suspect her parents are both dead, or captured by some Imperial successor faction. I've seen some speculation that Luke, Leia, or Han may be one of her parents. But it seems out of character for any of those to have left her without any plans to come back, and she didn't seem to recognize any of them when she met them. But I could see Obi-Wan having a kid while he was in exile, and that would explain her Force powers.

Of course, with the whole Jedi celibacy thing, it appears Force powers aren't always hereditary. She could be unrelated to anybody else - or to somebody with no Force powers from the original trilogy. What if she was the grandchild of one of those admirals that Darth Vader force-choked to death in The Empire Strikes Back? Unlikely, but that could be an interesting twist.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
1/6/16 9:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:
If you can't let your kids see "anything being shot at" then this movie is one of the last movies your kids should ever see. Han Solo's death isn't particularly violent or gory. There is one space monster that could scare little kids. Also there are some gruesome scenes of burnt-up corpses...worse than in Ep4.

Also, the first Star Wars film to actually show blood, not just people falling over from wounds that cauterize instantly.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/6/16 9:32 a.m.

If they were smart they'd ditch any of her past. Luke was heir to the Jedi, and a prodigal son.

Rey should just be a no-name kid from a no-name family who is blessed with endowment of the Force. This would irritate that hell out of Ren, who sees his ancestry as his strength.

I felt like the movie could have ditched the rehashed plot devices and instead focused on character development. Either way it was damn good fun.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
1/6/16 10:07 a.m.

I went and saw it with my BIL, 8 yo nephew, and 5 yo niece, Both of which enjoyed it. Hell I saw Jurassic Park 2 when I was 7 and watched people get ripped in half by dinosaurs, it was a good time.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
1/6/16 10:08 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Saw an opinion online that Rey might be a Kenobi. Obiwan might have been bored hanging around Tatooine all those years...
Possibly. I suspect her parents are both dead, or captured by some Imperial successor faction. I've seen some speculation that Luke, Leia, or Han may be one of her parents. But it seems out of character for any of those to have left her without any plans to come back, and she didn't seem to recognize any of them when she met them. But I could see Obi-Wan having a kid while he was in exile, and that would explain her Force powers. Of course, with the whole Jedi celibacy thing, it appears Force powers aren't always hereditary. She could be unrelated to anybody else - or to somebody with no Force powers from the original trilogy. What if she was the grandchild of one of those admirals that Darth Vader force-choked to death in The Empire Strikes Back? Unlikely, but that could be an interesting twist.

I can't see her being a Kenobi. If you look at the time frame, Obi-Wan died in EP4. Leia and Han didn't get together until EP6. I would assume Rey and Ren are very close to the same age which means both would have been born after EP6.

The other issue is that in her flashbacks, it seems like someone dear to her (probably a parent or two) left and she's waiting for their return. That would further indicate that it couldn't be Obi-Wan if they truely were her parents and not adopted.

I think her encounter with Luke was too short to determine whether or not he recognized her. Plus, she was much older than when she was left, so it's possible that none of her potential parents (Han, Leia or Luke) would have immediately recognized her anyway. So, she could still be one of theirs.

Personal theory is that she was the only padwan being trained by Luke that wasn't killed by Ren and his henchmen (hence Ren being in her flashback) and was shuttled away to protect her from Ren. That would make Ren think the only "Jedi" left would be Luke and defeating him would be his last mission. Which would explain why he was so upset when he watched her discover her powers. Luke obviously had a class of students he was training, so her lineage doesn't have to be related to the Skywalker/Organa/Kenobi clan.

-Rob

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/6/16 10:14 a.m.

She's clearly Snape's daughter.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/6/16 10:48 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote: Personal theory is that she was the only padwan being trained by Luke that wasn't killed by Ren and his henchmen (hence Ren being in her flashback) and was shuttled away to protect her from Ren. Luke obviously had a class of students he was training, so her lineage doesn't have to be related to the Skywalker/Organa/Kenobi clan.

Thing is she acts like the Force is all new to her. Padawans, despite being relatively young, would still have memories of training. She'd know about the Force and Luke and all that. Unless she was selected at an infant age (medicholarian counts), had no training, and was orphaned before learning of her status.

I forget, does Rey mention at all during the film if she knows about the Force? I thought she was the one who asks the "legends" or whatever.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 11:14 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Also, the first Star Wars film to actually show blood, not just people falling over from wounds that cauterize instantly.

Que?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/6/16 11:56 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Possibly. I suspect her parents are both dead, or captured by some Imperial successor faction. I've seen some speculation that Luke, Leia, or Han may be one of her parents. But it seems out of character for any of those to have left her without any plans to come back, and she didn't seem to recognize any of them when she met them. But I could see Obi-Wan having a kid while he was in exile, and that would explain her Force powers. Of course, with the whole Jedi celibacy thing, it appears Force powers aren't always hereditary. She could be unrelated to anybody else - or to somebody with no Force powers from the original trilogy. What if she was the grandchild of one of those admirals that Darth Vader force-choked to death in The Empire Strikes Back? Unlikely, but that could be an interesting twist.
I can't see her being a Kenobi. If you look at the time frame, Obi-Wan died in EP4. Leia and Han didn't get together until EP6. I would assume Rey and Ren are very close to the same age which means both would have been born after EP6.

The version of this theory that I've seen around is that Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter, which could work timeline-wise. There's nearly 30 years between Ep3 and 4, which would give Obi-Wan time to have a child, who would then have a child right around when Han and Leia get together in Ep 6. If true, would certainly make for a very different dynamic than if Rey and Kylo Ren are cousins.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
1/6/16 3:34 p.m.

I think Rey is going to be tied somehow to Anakin/Vader.

Prequel Anakin was supposed to be "chosen one". Instead of bringing the balance (which apparently the Jedi thought was to destroy the Sith), he destroyed the Jedi order. Luke then kills Vader, destroying the last of the Sith. Vader's grandson becomes part of the next type of Sith, so it stands to reason someone from his family is going to have to deal with him. Ren vs Rey will be the balance of the Force, and the prodigy of Anakin's two children fighting it out makes perfect since "balance" wise.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/6/16 3:48 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: The end, Luke is standing in the flat spot. It really really looks like a thin headstone in front of him in at least one shot. Is it? If someone is buried there, who?
Ooh, I missed that little detail. I'll be waiting for others to report back from the second viewing.
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/6/16 3:52 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:

This may have already been covered here and I missed it in the thread. But wasn't it kind of unclear whether or not Rey actually had parents? A la Anakin Skywalker?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/6/16 3:55 p.m.

What if Ren killed Mrs. Skywalker ie Rey's Mom?

REY I AM YOUR FATHER

So many recycle plot devices this way come.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
1/6/16 3:58 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
This may have already been covered here and I missed it in the thread. But wasn't it kind of unclear whether or not Rey actually had parents? A la Anakin Skywalker?

I was basing it on her wanting to stay on the planet for someone to return and the flashback where we saw (I assume) her as a young child with the ship rockets into the distance.

Another "immaculate conception" ala' Anakin could still be a possibility.

-Rob

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
1/6/16 4:03 p.m.

She is waiting on her "family". No indication if that is biological parents or siblings or adopted family. Though they came right and told us Anakin was immaculate, and no peep about Rey.

Still, I don't see that to be very likely.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vtt4OkjsCMaXkHvrpqz2ZkLfvZzcA28J70Nud34jkGX4nQ11tTmDdOZBu7J3IlEm