1 2 3
racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/14/17 2:50 p.m.

I made a video for the Dynatorch guys years ago when I was still in the business, seriously cool stuff from real car guys.  If I could only talk the wife into her garage spot!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/3/17 11:33 a.m.

First commissioned sign delivered yesterday. Pretty happy with the results and the customer was happy.

I will post a picture when I get back to my desk.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/3/17 12:55 p.m.

I need to come up with something I want. Maybe I will build a bench like HotRodGarage has, but instead call it "HotRobGarage".

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/3/17 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

That might imply some other things...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/3/17 2:19 p.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/3/17 2:37 p.m.

That's legit. Great job. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/3/17 3:06 p.m.

Thanks!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/3/17 10:29 p.m.

Nice. smiley

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/17 8:34 a.m.

Looks good!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/4/17 11:39 a.m.

Designed some H1 Centers for a board member. To be cut in 1/4" plate with 6 gussets. 

GambleGarage
GambleGarage New Reader
10/4/17 11:48 a.m.

Looks good so far. I like those tables..I may consider one when I upgrade from my 2x2 table. I've had it for about 4 years but it gets the job done. 

Not sure what software you are using but see if you can create a curved lead in. That seem to help make things a bit smoother. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/17 12:26 p.m.
GambleGarage said:

Looks good so far. I like those tables..I may consider one when I upgrade from my 2x2 table. I've had it for about 4 years but it gets the job done. 

Not sure what software you are using but see if you can create a curved lead in. That seem to help make things a bit smoother. 

What table are you using, Gamble?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/4/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to GambleGarage :

This doesn't have the cut lines on it. I have good sized lead ins on all the cuts. I use Enroute 6. It is a pretty capable software and getting easier to use all the time. 

GambleGarage
GambleGarage New Reader
10/4/17 1:23 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I use the torchmate lite software (not sure if lite is still available) but I really love it because I can design and do cad all in one program. cad/cam export as dxf and cut. My flashcut software is cad/cam/cut all in one software which makes it a breeze to do everything. 

I've tried inkscape since it's free and it works ok but just not for me. Fusion360 has a new sheetmetal design which is free and works well. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/4/17 1:31 p.m.

My software was something I purchased separate from the table itself (same order though) and cost a whole bunch. It is similar to what you can get from the big guys in 2d design work. Has some pretty nice nesting capabilities (not auto though) and I have yet to run into a software limitation, just my own lack of knowledge. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/8/17 1:50 p.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/8/17 1:52 p.m.

Cut those Hummer wheel centers, 1/4 plate cuts so easy. Minimal clean up. Anyone else need some parts! Delivery to the challenge.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/17 3:05 p.m.

Hmm I wonder who wants Hummer wheel centers ... looks great and I can't wait to see them in person. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
10/8/17 3:44 p.m.

I can't believe I haven't already compiled a whole list of parts that need to be made.  I'll try to put some more thought into it and keep my gears turning for future opportunities.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/8/17 8:28 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Well, I have some left over 1/4 in plate from stampies centers. I am probably making a welding take top like this.

I can make one of these for someone too. Seriously, buy stuff now and get free challenge delivery.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/13/17 8:23 a.m.

Busy weekend. I completely redid my air supply setup, added a dryer (just a drip catcher), new regulator, and swapped all the fittings from 1/4" to 3/8. Big improvement on air quantity. Read a bunch on improving cut quality on thinner material and ordered some new tips that are designed to run at lower amps. The weld table top works great. Also, removing slag with a cold chisel is the way to go. 

GambleGarage
GambleGarage New Reader
11/13/17 9:19 a.m.

Looks good. If you switch to a pickeled and oiled steel the dross tends to stick less. It's about the same price as hot rolled

Also small parts you can soak in vinegar and it will remove it. 

A needle scaler works ok too. 

I use a flap disc 99% of the time. Sometimes spray mig nozzle spray on the back of the sheet will help some from sticking too

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/13/17 9:30 a.m.

I'm interested in getting some address numbers cut from steel plate like your example. Figure two sets, about 6" high numbers, x however long it needs to be to read "6000" with an arrow underneath, one pointing left and one pointing right. 1/2" mounting holes in each corner. How much would something like that cost? I assume you can ship? Maybe I should PM you! Email me at my user name at gmail dot com.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/13/17 11:37 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Sent you an e-mail!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/13/17 11:47 a.m.

I tried a scaler. Mine is new so maybe it needs to be rounded off but it beat the hell out of the back of my metal. 

I saw a suggestion when looking up mig spray to try cooking anti stick spray. Might try both and see if the cooking spray helps at all. 

What thicknesses do you usually cut? The 1/4" plate took very little cleaning but the 16 gauge takes some effort to clean. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rqrtpr5rC29IEtOshvOsWrb1DfWnbzAAl71HAXxUxpO6zRTA2CTsV1xnGHXFDp2A