1 2
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
4/13/09 10:51 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Oh and did I mention it had been parked for a little while?

Well, at least your new weed-eater will add to your cylinder count..provided ya don't buy an electric one, of course.

slefain
slefain Dork
4/14/09 6:58 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: That's a circle track car if I ever saw one.

In my neighborhood that car would be rolled as-is into a paint booth, sprayed metallic blue (no prep), have rubber coil inserts crammed in for a good 8" lift, and a set of 24" wheels bolted on.

Thank you for saving it from a donk-tastic death.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/14/09 10:10 a.m.

Oh yeah no donk mobile here. It will be much more a muscle car than anything else. However it will have some aspects of a circle track/stock car because well I'll get a ton of parts from the guys out here that use to race.

I'm thinking the Crager steel wheels instead of those old aluminum ones that are on there.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/14/09 10:10 a.m.

Double post got the "hit it with a hammer" when trying to post. Weird.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
4/14/09 11:09 a.m.

This could be an awesome challenge car...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/14/09 11:53 a.m.
Capt Slow wrote: This could be an awesome challenge car...

Yeah it does have that potential. Lousy thing for me is I live in Oregon so a ways away from the challenge lol. However it is going to be built on a strict budget.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/09 1:09 p.m.

BTW, those wheels are worth money to someone building a General Lee clone. I believe they are called turbine wheels? Clean them up and slap them on the evilbay.

Also, I'm from Portland and I'm going to the West Coast $2009 Challenge, so don't rule it out.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/14/09 5:06 p.m.

There called "Vector" rims and American Racing is making them again.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/14/09 5:17 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: BTW, those wheels are worth money to someone building a General Lee clone. I believe they are called turbine wheels? Clean them up and slap them on the evilbay. Also, I'm from Portland and I'm going to the West Coast $2009 Challenge, so don't rule it out.

I thought they looked familiar lol. I might like them more once they are cleaned up and all but right now I'm kinda blah on them. Also for when I put the flares on I want something a bit wider to fill things out a little more.

Where is the west coast challenge being held? I might have to keep it in mind.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/09 9:36 p.m.

Check the $2009 West Coast sticky thread at the top of the GRM forum for more info, but it is in San Diego near the end of August.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/14/09 9:51 p.m.

Hmmm well I know I won't have it ready by then but maybe next year

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/14/09 10:11 p.m.

Here ya go:

Shawn

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/14/09 10:14 p.m.

Those aren't Vectors.

Too many fins.

Shawn.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
4/14/09 10:39 p.m.

Those like the turbine rims that were on my aunt's old Pontiac Gran Prix from that era.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/16/09 10:34 p.m.

I could always paint it green and put a Buick nose on it and make Chick

I'm just sitting here watching "Cars" again and remembered Chick was a G Body platform.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/17/09 2:23 p.m.

I just made a discovery. The Cutlass has an Aluminum hood and rad support.

I wasn't expecting that. Granted that seems to kill the idea of cutting a hole in it to put in a shaker.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/17/09 3:44 p.m.

Cool on the bauxite derived bits.

Are you still shooting for mad max style on this?

I always want to build a "sleeper" out of one, so that pretty much precludes scoops and other obvious giveaways.

Clem

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/17/09 4:28 p.m.

Chick's htB stands for Hostile Takeover Bank.

That is all.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/17/09 6:14 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Cool on the bauxite derived bits. Are you still shooting for mad max style on this? I always want to build a "sleeper" out of one, so that pretty much precludes scoops and other obvious giveaways. Clem

Well I'm having a bit of trouble on that because really the car is in better shape than I figured it would be so that kinda makes me wonder if that is still the way I want to go.

I'm almost thinking just got full out muscle car on it. That is where the Trans Am shaker and the like would come in. But then I found out about the Aluminum hood and the like. That actually kinda makes me consider more along the lines of a clean body, strip the chrome, body color the bumpers and go for the semi sleeper look.

There is an early 70's Cutlass in town that has a dark red with black trim paint job that looks just killer. If I could find a W30 style scoop hood for the '80 I would strongly consider the same paint scheme.

Oh also today I was given a set of 5 Craftsman bodywork hammers and a couple of the hand anvils by my grandpas neighbor. So that should make fixing the driver side fender a little easier.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/23/09 1:33 p.m.

Been thinking about things and unless I decide to sell the aluminum parts I'm thinking stock car for the street build on the car and setup the car for autocross

And I got thinking you know that was around the time that Petty had switched over to racing GM so maybe instead of black it will be Petty blue with the grill blacked out and black Cragers. So back down to a built 350 for the engine.

Oh yeah anyone know if there will be any classification problems for autocross with the car originally being a diesel but now having a gas engine?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rSUgIK5nJeWr4vAHXWeBCwBqysz15uGQMpwyNIwLz90AE1kqN4pwNYDvpFtt1Tdf