1 2 3
tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/17 11:52 a.m.
pheller said:

...and because there isn't a superweapon in this one.

That we have seen so far...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/11/17 12:03 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I would have thought that real life has dictated whether Princes Leia survives or not.  Unless they want to do a crappy CGI on an aging Carrie Fisher face, I guess.  Sad to say, she is gone, IMHO. 

Yes, but the main question is whether they have her get killed on-screen in this movie, or simply announce that she's dead (or alive but out of the picture) in the next. That does create a bit more tension - when the trailer shows that it appears that Kylo Ren is about to shoot at a ship that Leia is on, it's entirely possible he'll kill her, rather than some trailers where you think, "Yeah, right, like they'll really do that."

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 1:21 p.m.

I am actually in the middle of reading the book that was "Rogue One". As always, the book is much better

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/17 1:55 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I am actually in the middle of reading the book that was "Rogue One". As always, the book is much better

I've honestly never seen this reversed. As good as The Martian was as a movie the book was still betterer. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/17 2:37 p.m.
Bobzilla said:
mad_machine said:

I've honestly never seen this reversed. As good as The Martian was as a movie the book was still betterer. 

Jurassic Park was the first time I ever experienced it.  The book was a fun read, but seeing those dinosaurs up on the big screen (in 1993, remember) was really something to behold.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/11/17 2:43 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Bobzilla said:
mad_machine said:

Jurassic Park was the first time I ever experienced it.  The book was a fun read, but seeing those dinosaurs up on the big screen (in 1993, remember) was really something to behold.

Oddly; since it's the same author and he is really pretty good, I liked the 13th warrior as a movie just as well as the book.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/11/17 2:44 p.m.
tomtomgt356 said:
pheller said:

I'm still holding out hope.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

rebellions are built on hope

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/11/17 4:01 p.m.
Bobzilla said:
mad_machine said:

Big Trouble.  The Dave Barry novel is hilarious, but the movie is an absolute riot.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/11/17 6:12 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
alfadriver said:

I would have thought that real life has dictated whether Princes Leia survives or not.  Unless they want to do a crappy CGI on an aging Carrie Fisher face, I guess.  Sad to say, she is gone, IMHO. 

Yes, but the main question is whether they have her get killed on-screen in this movie, or simply announce that she's dead (or alive but out of the picture) in the next. That does create a bit more tension - when the trailer shows that it appears that Kylo Ren is about to shoot at a ship that Leia is on, it's entirely possible he'll kill her, rather than some trailers where you think, "Yeah, right, like they'll really do that."

My gut tells me that those scenes are not actually related.  But it's still the time that Leia goes.

Could be wrong, but sometimes they try to hard to make people think stuff, and that seems too much.  Especially since we know he killed his dad already.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/11/17 6:16 p.m.
tomtomgt356 said:
pheller said:

Huge Star Wars nerd, but I have to admit I'm watching trailers and news stories thinking "please no Death Star, please no Death Star".  Being the middle of a trilogy we might be safe, no guarantees for #9.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/11/17 7:15 p.m.
eastsidemav said:
Bobzilla said:
mad_machine said:

Big Trouble.  The Dave Barry novel is hilarious, but the movie is an absolute riot.

That movie was set to release September 14th 2001, since it has quite a few scenes with terrorists hijacking planes and having bombs it was pushed way back and had a very minor release instead of the HUGE one that was planned. Because of that the other book, Tricky Business wasn't made into a movie, doh.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/12/17 3:27 a.m.

I am getting the feeling my hunch was correct after the last one....

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/12/17 7:44 a.m.
Jerry said:

Huge Star Wars nerd, but I have to admit I'm watching trailers and news stories thinking "please no Death Star, please no Death Star".  Being the middle of a trilogy we might be safe, no guarantees for #9.

Yeah, you'd think they'd have learned by this time that any "unstoppable" superweapon is going to get blown up by the other side finding some creative way to fly smaller spaceships inside it. And that they'll only get a chance to blow up one or two planets before that happens.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
10/12/17 8:49 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
Jerry said:

Yeah, you'd think they'd have learned by this time that any "unstoppable" superweapon is going to get blown up by the other side finding some creative way to fly smaller spaceships inside it. And that they'll only get a chance to blow up one or two planets before that happens.

The explanation I heard for this, that made a certain kind of sense, is that the First Order is arrogant and believes that they are better than the Empire and won't make the same mistakes. And to be fair, Starkiller Base took a serious longshot to take out, like atmospheric re-entry at FTL speeds to get past the shields.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/12/17 10:42 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to 914Driver :

I may be the only one, but I don't think she EVER looked good....

!!!!

SHUT UP, DELETE THAT BLASHEMY!!!!

I was 8 when A New Hope came out, 7 when the opening scene was launched in advance on 8mm for home viewing.  From the moment she stepped on screen I had an instant, permanent, indelible schoolbuy crush on Leia.

I was 14 when Return of the Jedi came out.  That Gold Slave bikini is etched into my mind in a way only possible for a young teenage boy.  Within a mili second of her appearing on screen in that, the schoolboy crush was replaced by a new fantasy.

No, she didn't age well, snorting white powder up your nose does that too you, but man, when she was younger......  I will hear no words against a young Carrie Fisher.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
10/12/17 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Just my opinion, but I'll be the first to admit that I have odd taste in many things. To each their own... If young Carrie Fisher does it for you thats cool. Our individual tastes and opinions are what keep the world turning.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/17 11:13 a.m.
NickD said:

The explanation I heard for this, that made a certain kind of sense, is that the First Order is arrogant and believes that they are better than the Empire and won't make the same mistakes.

I like Star Wars on a casual basis, and have watched them since the original came out.  But I have to admit, I currently have zero understanding of the 237 different versions of "The Empire" and various other political factions that the rebels are rebelling against.

They're all too much the same and do the same things, even though they're supposedly different.  They've somehow managed to make the lore excessively complicated without actually introducing any variety into it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/12/17 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

The gold bikini also made an impression on this almost-16 year old.  But then again I thought she was hot in Blues Brothers.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat HalfDork
10/12/17 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

You are talking about a movie series where mystic wizards can make light violate all laws of physics but can't video chat with a full color display.  

Just let your inner 7 year old marvel at cool spaceships blowing each other up and 50 ft tall armored camels with frigging laser beams on their head.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BuzeiEsLBP0LrgU2CH6Ktc9RbgkKo9Nu09o4RAjIQWiN4ACCXnMxGvwrZ7g2zY1u