1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/12 7:45 p.m.

Is anybody else watching The Men Who Built America on the History Channel?

I generally prefer a pure documentary to the reenactment / dramatization that they're doing, but I'm really enjoying this. I will add that I thought that the first two episodes were better than the third, though that could be because the subject matter was pretty grim.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
10/24/12 8:38 p.m.

I watched last night. I found it interesting, especially when you begin to understand how some of their decisions impacted the economy of the whole country. Each of them had way too much power.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
10/24/12 8:51 p.m.

I've been watching - pretty interesting

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/24/12 9:15 p.m.

Haven't seen it, but I heard good things about it today from one of my students.

Woody
10/24/12 9:39 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I watched last night. I found it interesting, especially when you begin to understand how some of their decisions impacted the economy of the whole country. Each of them had way too much power.

They were incredibly powerful, but there was no precedent in place to anticipate (or fear) that situation. The country was only a hundred years old at that point.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
10/25/12 1:25 a.m.

It beats that reality "history" bullE36 M3, any day of the week.

octavious
octavious Reader
10/25/12 6:57 a.m.

I caught it too and liked it. I've seen Vanderbilt, Rockerfeller one, and part of the Carnegie one that was on this Tuesday. Were those the first and second episodes? I want to see the one with Ford.

And one word "Monopoly." Because of these guys we have laws against monopolies. It's crazy.

Two things I found crazy interesting, Vanderbilt owning the only train bridge into New York. Which he used to essentially blockade the city and destroy his competition. Second, Rockerfeller owning 95% of the oil refineries. Crazyness.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/25/12 7:57 a.m.

Is this the one hosted by Mike Rowe? If so we caught it a little while ago while channel surfing and watched it for a while. Pretty interesting.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/25/12 8:23 a.m.

One important thing about these guys was there ability to get anything they wanted in their pursuit of power, wealth, and property.

If they wanted to lay railroad across your backyard, they would.

If they wanted to build a shipyard on your property, they would.

We can't, and probably shouldn't go back to those days of absolute power, but we should definitely take a good hard look at the inefficiencies of our infrastructure and decide whether we want to let the rest of the world catch up while we try to figure out how pay, protect, and build a better tomorrow.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/25/12 8:27 a.m.

Setting up the DVR... when did the History channel start showing historical programming? I thought it was all ghost stories and digging for magical artifacts from the bible.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/12 8:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Setting up the DVR... when did the History channel start showing historical programming? I thought it was all ghost stories and digging for magical artifacts from the bible.

Don't forget TEH ALIENS!!!11UNO

Woody
10/25/12 9:11 a.m.
octavious wrote: Because of these guys we have laws against monopolies.

And... we have Monopoly.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/12 9:18 a.m.

Okay, now I have Horslips' The Man Who Built America stuck in my head...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/12 9:43 a.m.

Thanks for posting this, I had heard about it, but forgot. 10 years ago History was one of my go-to channels, now, not so much.

Anyhow, DVR set. Thank God for reruns.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
10/25/12 11:40 a.m.

Ah man, i need to tell the lady to find this on reruns so she can record it while I'm gone. I saw the commercials and had been anticipating watching them. Are they going to talk about Flagler at all? The man was up there with Ford, Vanderbilt, Carnegie, and Rockerfeller.

You could say Gates, Jobs, and Wozniak are comparable to these folks in the computer age.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
10/25/12 2:36 p.m.

I just sent my Tivo a request to record all these. Technology is awesome.

Hal
Hal Dork
10/25/12 2:43 p.m.
Woody wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: I watched last night. I found it interesting, especially when you begin to understand how some of their decisions impacted the economy of the whole country. Each of them had way too much power.
They were incredibly powerful, but there was no precedent in place to anticipate (or fear) that situation. The country was only a hundred years old at that point.

I have been watching. Particularly interesting to me since I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and had relatives who lived thru that era and worked in those industries.

Woody
10/30/12 7:29 p.m.

New episode tonight at 9 pm.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/12 1:39 a.m.

I think it should be called "men who profited from real americans who built america with their lives."

Those big-bank, big-money families continue to rape america, so equating them to heros is much like saying that Columbus discovered the new world and had a turkey dinner with the Indians.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/31/12 2:11 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I think it should be called "men who profited from real americans who built america with their lives." Those big-bank, big-money families continue to rape america, so equating them to heros is much like saying that Columbus discovered the new world and had a turkey dinner with the Indians.

if you decide to build a house and hire contractors to do all the work, when asked about it, will you say that you contracted it out to XYZ construction, who subcontracted out to other companies to get all the different parts of the work done and that you'd like to give an extra special shout out to Jeff for his magnificent work on the HVAC system, or do you just tell people that you built your dream house?

they are the guys that got E36 M3 done. .good or bad right or wrong, they were the motivating power behind the things that got done.

Woody
10/31/12 6:13 a.m.

I never called them heros, I just said it was an interesting TV show.

Also, I built my house. Special shout out to me for just about everything.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
10/31/12 6:23 a.m.

They doing one on Edison? Or would they have to dwell on the fact that he wasn't so much an inventor but a "borrower" who would improve upon other peoples ideas.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
10/31/12 7:36 a.m.
phaze1todd wrote: They doing one on Edison? Or would they have to dwell on the fact that he wasn't so much an inventor but a "borrower" who would improve upon other peoples ideas.

Last night's episode was about Edison/JP Morgan vs. Tesla/Westinghouse. Sadly, I fell asleep before the end. Off to wikipedia to see how it turned out.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/12 8:05 a.m.

I saw the first half of the Edison episode. It was enough to convince me to DVR the whole shebang and start from Episode 1. I like some of the people they have adding commentary, like Jerry Weintraub. Which episode is Tim going to be in? Perhaps when they get to W.R. Hearst.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/31/12 8:23 a.m.

I'm enjoying the series. In college I took a class on the history of technology to 1900, and it's coming back to me as I watch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9aTID0bwAz3rvLCADtzbrexXMoprNmy1KDj8oTow91EMqo3KqLrseWlZIN4wOTMM