1 2
moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/26/15 6:28 a.m.

My understanding was that Days of Thunder was supposed to be loosely based on Tim Richmond/Harry Hyde. Heck Robert Duval pretty much a dead ringer for Harry Hyde in the movie. I think at the time there was still so much negativity around Tim Richmond and his death they made the lead character different.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/15 6:58 a.m.

I thought you were referring to Americans thinking that NASCAR is the pinnacle of motor sports.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/26/15 11:56 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
novaderrik wrote: wait, Days of Thunder was a comedy? the only part that made me laugh was the rental car demo derby scene..
NASCAR wouldn't approve of icecream bars... His tires. My tires. Hooker cops. Wheelchair race. Hit the pace car. Its a funny movie.
i found no humor in any of that stuff, even tho i knew it was supposed to be funny when i first saw it on HBO about 6 months after it came out.. i saw a lot of stuff that might happen to normal people in a normal day, but the rental car demo scene was the only one that seemed out of the ordinary to me.. and is "hitting the pace car" funny if it actually happened from time to time, as seen in this video clip that shows how much less seriously some people took things 20+ years ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67jjvNI608

You guys just reminded me of this. That is all.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/26/15 1:35 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: I thought you were referring to Americans thinking that NASCAR is the pinnacle of motor sports.

how is it not? it might be different than whatever you think is the greatest thing ever, but that doesn't make it any better or worse.

name me one other form of motorsports that does what they do: maintain speeds averaging around 200mph for upwards of a half hour at a time with pushrod engines singing at close to 10k rpm, in packs of 20-30 cars only a couple of feet apart.. and they do it in cars that have 15" tires and a rear suspension from a 1963 Chevy truck. when it comes time to add fuel and tires, 6 guys change 4 tires (5 lug nuts each, and the wheel/tire assembly weigh upwards of 50 pounds each at most tracks, closer to 75 pounds on tracks with inner liners) and put in 18 gallons of gas in 12 seconds flat using a single floor jack, 2 impact wrenches, and gravity fed gas cans.. all adjustments on the car except brake bias and the panhard bar chassis mount have to be done while one of those 12 second pit stops is going on, and there is no telemetry of any kid being sent back to the pits other than what the driver reads on the analog gauges in front of him and relays via radio- while going 200mph in a pack of 30 cars..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FrF34h3bpf3XdJJbnR28iJgWaUmoY0zdxumScn2uvN9qgYp6Xq3h2hPCxKvF7tgY