1 2 3 4
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 10:56 p.m.

The Paved Church of the Holy Cone is now on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=328963836248&ref=nf

Get in there.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 10:59 p.m.

Ha! I'm the "Third Member"

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/18/10 11:14 p.m.

I'll have to join on Sunday. And then not participate until after Easter.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
2/18/10 11:20 p.m.

Fifth member!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 11:21 p.m.

I'm in like Flynn!

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
2/18/10 11:30 p.m.

Done! And I invited all my conehead friends.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/18/10 11:34 p.m.

in

TJ
TJ Dork
2/19/10 12:48 a.m.

what a facebook?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
2/19/10 3:02 a.m.

Facebook is the new Skynet.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
2/19/10 6:01 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Facebook is the new Skynet.

Where's John Comer when you need him?

John Brown
2/19/10 6:02 a.m.

He is on there, he welcomes our new electronic overlords.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/19/10 6:17 a.m.

Appleseed, I think youre confusing facey-spaces for ZOMGOOGLE!

I hart Dennis Leary!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/10 6:35 a.m.

the cult continues....

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
2/19/10 8:13 a.m.

Uh, this is an autocross kind of group.

Shouldn't the pastor be actively involved with autocrossing...

Too bad you chose facebook. I have made it my life mission to not join.

Eric

John Brown
2/19/10 8:25 a.m.

Hey, I have bee involved with the "furball" group as well as yours. I have made it plain and clear that I prefer to run with you but the distance kills me. If Furrin runs at MSU its 20 miles.

And it's not only an autocross kind of group, remember we expanded to accept gearheads of all sorts, marques and colors... even Miatas.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/10 8:29 a.m.

Joined.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/19/10 8:33 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Too bad you chose facebook. I have made it my life mission to not join.

Facebook isn't pure evil. Now, Twitter, that's where I draw the line.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/19/10 8:36 a.m.

I've been thinking about creating a Clem Sparks facebook account and this may be just the impetus I need to do so.

Or...you'll See Alex M. from Columbia MO join up in the next day or so...either way, I'm in...

Clem

Matt B
Matt B Reader
2/19/10 8:44 a.m.

I'm there. So is the wife.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/10 9:07 a.m.

I refuse to join facebook. won't happen sorry guys

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
2/19/10 9:17 a.m.
Duke wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Too bad you chose facebook. I have made it my life mission to not join.
Facebook isn't pure evil. Now, Twitter, that's where I draw the line.

I don't think facebook is evil. I just don't get the point.

Twitter- I get the point- advertising.

For both, they sell it on the "keep in touch" thing- but why would I want to know my friends lifes details to the Nth degree (or the 140 character degree)?

This coming from a person who is confused by text messaging- a PHONE call is generally cheaper, and you actually talk to a person. (and if you are in a situation where you can't speak, then how can you text?) As for these social network things- what ever happened to just meeting face to face? For the ones I can't do that- these message boards do a great job.

I almost joined F-book before christmas, hoping to see more Vandals that I knew when I went to a bowl game. Sadly, I was the only VMB member not playing in the band. So- no real point in virtually hooking up.

Eric

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/19/10 9:24 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: As for these social network things- what ever happened to just meeting face to face?

Well...since you asked...

for me, at least 50% of the value in facebook is being able to keep in touch with people so I can meet face to face. Seriously...

Clem

John Brown
2/19/10 9:28 a.m.

I think it is better for spreading the word with meets and car clubs than word of mouth. While we only got a few attendees, I talked to a lot of people about the Bars and Cars events because of fb.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/19/10 9:33 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: I don't think facebook is evil. I just don't get the point. Eric

The point has been lost since they started letting highschoolers and then just anybody join. I say this even though I did join when I was in high school. And I said it then, and I still say it now. When I say that I gave it up for Lent, I mean that I gave up what it has become--I'll still use it when I need to connect with someone from my class to figure out how to do this problem. Its great for that. It has evolved far from what it was. It used to be for networking, and it was damn good at it. My cousin, who is a few years older than me, summarized it well:

When I first got on Facebook you had to be in college to join, with a college email. You could post your schedule and find other people in your classes. One night my roommate had trouble with his homework so he got on Facebook and looked up people in his class and found someone who lived in our dorm. He goes upstairs and talks to a man he has never met before and got help. It was great.

I still do this (alhtough its a little tougher since then), and it still works well for that. But the bumper stickers, mafia farms, and everything else really has ruined facebook.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
2/19/10 9:47 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
alfadriver wrote: As for these social network things- what ever happened to just meeting face to face?
Well...since you asked... for me, at least 50% of the value in facebook is being able to keep in touch with people so I can meet face to face. Seriously... Clem

So phones and e-mails don't work already?

Ok, but it seems like there are avenues aready in place. Facebook does add potential advertising, that's true. And ways to waste more time (it does games, right?).

What does facebook bring that a normal web page, e-mail, or a phone can't do well enough? Oh, and if you say- it will notify all of my friends automatically- then you are lazy. If it's that important, set up an e-mail list.

Still- don't see the point (outside of hooking up with other people in the same class to help study- but that's kind of moot for me.... AND you can always meet people IN CLASS, remember that face to face thing?).

Eric

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rcjDFuMAcY7EBVlSKw6U4JfOeGGA8OY5vXlVFBXUCDfZ0wFVyqg5mkbT5b1bDa87