1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/19 1:15 p.m.

"Pods" are basically renting a spot in a posh version of a military barrack:

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/21/654426576/cant-find-an-affordable-home-try-living-in-a-pod

The Stacks were basically cramped improvised apartment buildings complete with private bathrooms and kitchens, and Terrafoam at least had private bedrooms. "Pods" have none of these. But at least they're pretty frown

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/24/19 1:27 p.m.

In the Army, I lived in a repurposed shipping container for six months and a plywood shack for a year. The bathroom was a long walk, or an empty Gatorade bottle (Never assume the yellow is lemonade). Those Pods look pretty nice to me.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/24/19 2:47 p.m.

I can't imagine an area nice enough that A: I would willingly choose to live paycheck to paycheck for, until I died, with nothing to show for my life and B: meant that every waking second I'd have to pretend I wasn't living in a work release prison of my own making that I'm also paying for.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 3:11 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I can't imagine an area nice enough that A: I would willingly choose to live paycheck to paycheck for, until I died, with nothing to show for my life and B: meant that every waking second I'd have to pretend I wasn't living in a work release prison of my own making that I'm also paying for.

The counter-point is that many don't see the point of spending a ton of money to build up a bunch of possessions that make you less mobile, and in all likelihood, will just be thrown out by any family members or friends when you're gone.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
4/24/19 3:23 p.m.

If I want to live a transient life within arms reach of random people I did not individually choose to cohabitate with, simply being homeless seems like a better deal.  

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/24/19 3:31 p.m.

Waaaay behind the curve.  The Japanese and Kramer eclipsed this years ago.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/24/19 3:49 p.m.

Any place where the real estate market is such that living in a pod is a viable option is a place I don't want to live. Not for me.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/24/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Right, but renting a twin bed in a shelter for $1400 a month is not the opposite of accumulating a mountain of stuff.  Not in my mind anyway.  I don't think that article is about philosophically driven life choices.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/24/19 6:35 p.m.

Or just buy a box truck and live out of that.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/24/19 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Down by the river? (Of course, down by the river.)

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/24/19 9:09 p.m.

Down by the river is too expensive now, it's down by the sewage treatment plant.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/25/19 7:10 a.m.

It's a return of the boarding house.

And also a reaction to a crazy real estate market; that price would get you a mortgage on a decent sized house or rent on a 2-3 bedroom apartment here.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/25/19 7:11 a.m.
Grizz said:

Or just buy a box truck and live out of that.

This Google employee already did that: https://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-lives-in-truck-in-parking-lot-2015-10

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/19 7:12 a.m.

I'd much much rather have one of the 3D printed homes.

TJL
TJL Reader
4/25/19 7:34 a.m.

Well that all sounds really terrible. But hey its only 1400 a month! Thats only twice what my 3/2/2 on 3/4 acre costs me. What a deal! Good for them though, i hope they stay put and dont move to FL. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/25/19 8:26 a.m.

I don't hate this concept. 

MadScientistMatt said:

that price would get you a mortgage on a decent sized house

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.  A mortgage only covers a fraction of the home ownership cost of a house.  Especially when you factor in the difference in commuting costs and whatnot.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/19 9:27 a.m.

$1400/month will buy you a place here within a block of both the beach, and the largest employer in the county. In a nice neighborhood too. 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/25/19 9:32 a.m.

I don't see this type of housing as a life-long choice, but an option for people in transition. Housing is not affordable in many areas to someone  starting a career, or fresh out of a job/marriage/lifestyle change and needing some time to regroup and recoup. I'm sure that if they plant one in Tulsa, or somewhere in FL, the price will not be as inflated as Los Angeles.

The social aspect can be scary, or beneficial. People are social animals and living alone can be hard. They must have a decent set of rules and standards. Not just any bum with $1,400 in his pocket gets to stay. If it gets uncomfortable, I'm sure you're allowed to leave. At this point in my life, no way. At other times, it could have made sense.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/25/19 9:38 a.m.

A healthy city will have high income neighborhoods and low income neighborhoods because it will have high income earners and low income earners. We've reached a point where entire cities or even regions are essentially giant, high income neighborhoods where low income people can't afford to live. As long as there's a need for those low income jobs that will be a problem. I don't see how this is sustainable, but people aren't logical, so I may be proven wrong.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/25/19 12:26 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I don't hate this concept. 

MadScientistMatt said:

that price would get you a mortgage on a decent sized house

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.  A mortgage only covers a fraction of the home ownership cost of a house.  Especially when you factor in the difference in commuting costs and whatnot.

Yes, you are going to have maintenance costs that you wouldn't incur with an apartment or rental. But at least around here, $1400 a month would also get a reasonable rental house or cover both mortgage and upkeep. And if you're looking for a more modest house, 1000 square feet or so, you can get the housing costs well below that number.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/25/19 12:36 p.m.

I looked at the Venice Beach Craigslist and there's plenty of options for efficiencies or studios in the $1500/mo range. Those have private sleeping and bathroom and kitchen arrangements. No way would I rent a dorm bed for anywhere near what a real apartment would cost.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/25/19 12:42 p.m.
dculberson said:

I looked at the Venice Beach Craigslist and there's plenty of options for efficiencies or studios in the $1500/mo range. Those have private sleeping and bathroom and kitchen arrangements. No way would I rent a dorm bed for anywhere near what a real apartment would cost.

I agree--I like the idea, but it has to be at a signifcant discount. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/25/19 12:45 p.m.

Rule of thumb for housing according to financial "experts" is no more than 28% of take home.

Assuming a 22% marginal tax-rate, you're looking at around $78k a year to meet that threshold.

That's not a low skill worker group in any region of the US. You're talking tradesman at a minimum, likely college educated. These are for the demographic that want to spend 3 or 4 years at a big name firm or corporation and live in a trendy area for the experience or to bolster their resume.

The salary likely needs to be closer to the $100k range when you take into account student loans.

I had some snarky stuff to put in here but if someone wants that lifestyle; Who am I to judge?

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/25/19 12:46 p.m.
AAZCD said:

In the Army, I lived in a repurposed shipping container for six months and a plywood shack for a year. The bathroom was a long walk, or an empty Gatorade bottle (Never assume the yellow is lemonade). Those Pods look pretty nice to me.

Ah another connoisseur of B-Huts.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/19 2:44 p.m.

If living like that means you get to walk to work, I can see how it would make sense for some people.

I'd prefer a commute over that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jeD3nbDoHeVT4uVW7SzRvistIZVmRm2Bbly6C1v3yardH7MBJsopkVLYa9OetNzu