1 2 3 4 5
gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/6/09 5:00 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I think i'm the only carnivore on the face of the planet that likes the following 3 things: 1) Soy Milk 2) Brussel Sprouts 3) Eggplant

Soy milk in my cereal every morning

I grill eggplant all summer long

Just did some brussel sprouts w/ bacon last weekend and they were damn good.

<--carnivore

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/6/09 5:04 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I think i'm the only carnivore on the face of the planet that likes the following 3 things: 1) Soy Milk 2) Brussel Sprouts 3) Eggplant

Does two out of three count? I'm not a big fan of Soy milk and prefer the real thing (even though I'm somewhat lactose intolerant). But I like both Brussel Sprouts and Eggplant if done well.

alex
alex Dork
12/6/09 5:50 p.m.

I'm an avowed carnivore, and I'm with you on all those.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/6/09 6:11 p.m.

It seems funny to me that Angry avoids fruit because of the sugars. I don't have problems with fruit sugars but that processed stuff (Krispy Kremes etc) sends me over the edge. I like Brussels sprouts very much even if they are alien creatures (but oh man, the gas! ). Yeah, I know I'm weird.

Q. What do you call a vegan with diarrhea?

A. A Salad Shooter.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/6/09 8:41 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: I like Brussels sprouts very much even if they are alien creatures (but oh man, the gas! ).

Not really so weird. The planet they were bred on had a methane based atmosphere.

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/6/09 9:47 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Jensenman wrote: I like Brussels sprouts very much even if they are alien creatures (but oh man, the gas! ).
Not really so weird. The planet they were bred on had a methane based atmosphere.

Makes any connection between global warming and UFO sightings more plausible.

"They" are here, and using sprouts to destroy humanity.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/09 10:03 p.m.
alex wrote: And, ECM, I'm assuming you're a carpaccio fan as well?

I have never had it but I certainly would try it

And while I don't personally like brussel sprouts, I am considering growing them just because they look so cool.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/6/09 10:34 p.m.

And speaking of healthy vegetarian fare, here are some mashed potatoes I just made:

6 medium potatoes, peeled , cubed, and boiled until tender 1/2 stick unsalted butter 1 cup (approx.) whole milk buttermilk 2 cloves of garlic, minced Salt and pepper

I have no idea how to make vegan mashed potatoes good.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/09 11:35 p.m.

Make with Vegan sour cream and soy margarine. They are soooooo creamy and delicious! I usually top it with meat gravy though

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/7/09 12:10 a.m.
P71 wrote: Make with Vegan sour cream and soy margarine. They are soooooo creamy and delicious! I usually top it with meat gravy though

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/7/09 7:37 a.m.

I ate 3 super sized hot dogs at a 4th/July party one year and was sick the entire evening. I then reviewed my diet plans and started on an "natural foods" style diet. I also carrot juiced daily.

I lost 25 pounds and ate all day long and felt great. After a year I slowly got away from it and I now eat everything.

I have gained 50 pounds since then and question these vegans........

http://www.hacres.com/

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/7/09 8:45 a.m.

Just what is the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan? Is it the same thing, or is there something I am missing?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/09 8:52 a.m.

Vegetarians have different "styles". There's Ones that eat chicken, fish, eggs, and dairy so they're basically just no red meat or pig. Then there's ones that are some combination of above. The common definition vegetarian only accepts dairy as nothing had to die.

Vegans eat no animal products at all, including if they were just used as a filter (some beers are filtered through fish guts for some bizarre reason). So no honey (it's OK, Agave is better), no eggs, no meat, no poultry, no fish, no shellfish, no swine, etc, etc.

I'm an opportunarian, I eat anything I get the opportunity to get my hands on!

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
12/7/09 8:54 a.m.

Also one to have Soy Milk in the morning- either for ceral or for a protien shake. Love Brussel Sprouts when cooked well- boiled is boring- be creative. Eggplant rocks wihen grilled, or as a substitute for noodles in lasagna.

Love meat. Duck breast in particular. Roasted pork and really good steak is a close second.

The current "problem" with meat is portion size- palm size is a correct portion of anything. And, if eaten slowly with a good ballance of other ingredients, more than enough to live on.

E-

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/7/09 9:15 a.m.

I prefer head-sized portions of meat....

Jay
Jay Dork
12/7/09 9:26 a.m.

Figures a thread about vegetarians would turn into chest thumpery about who eats the most meat...

I'll agree the brussels sprout plant is Gigeresque (I like 'em BTW - but only fairly recently - when I was a kid they made me gag), but the one that really made me double-take are artichokes. Maybe for you California natives they don't seem that odd but the first time I drove by a farm full of them I thought they were top-secret military knockout spores.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/09 9:38 a.m.

With only $20 a week to spend on food, I can't be too picky. Since most fruits and vegatables are very expensive and have a short shelf life, they are non-exsistant in my diet. (most taste like E36 M3 and make me ill anyhow. Strawberries are awesome though) Highly processed carbs and cheap lunch meat are the bulk of my intake. Most of my eating eating is at work, so "dry" food is a must. Suggestions for a heathier (and cheaper) way?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/7/09 10:40 a.m.

I always assumed artichokes grew near the ground, like a cabbage. Those things are right up there with the sprout in the weird-o-meter. Now I'm beginning to plan an alien garden for my plot next season! Won't need scarecrows..

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/7/09 10:57 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: With only $20 a week to spend on food, I can't be too picky. Since most fruits and vegatables are very expensive and have a short shelf life, they are non-exsistant in my diet. (most taste like E36 M3 and make me ill anyhow. Strawberries are awesome though) Highly processed carbs and cheap lunch meat are the bulk of my intake. Most of my eating eating is at work, so "dry" food is a must. Suggestions for a heathier (and cheaper) way?

Vegetables, the crunchiest ones you can find. Seriously. Yeah, its slightly more expensive, but your brain will tell you you are full sooner because of all the chewing--you are eating less and feeling full. No joke, it really works. I eat a big bowl of cucumbers or broccoli before every meal in the dining hall. If you have the space, grow a small garden.

Canned fruit. Say what you will, but its not too bad all things considered. I made it my dessert all of last year.

Pasta. If there is a factory, they sell it cheap. Pasta+Butter+Parmesan got me through the last three months of last year, and can be done in a microwave. I figured out if I were to eat it 2 meals a day for 7 days it would cost me less than 4 dollars*. About twice a week I'd splurge with some canned diced tomatoes. The food is just awful in my dining hall.

*The butter and parm was free--anytime you are at a dining hall or restaurant and they have free packets of something, anything, take them. Pizza Hut Express has the parmesan packets. Butter is everywhere.

Gearheadotaku
12/7/09 11:50 a.m.

Yeah, pasta is good on the budget. I'm out on the big bowl of veggies though.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/7/09 12:17 p.m.

Rice, beans, potatoes, some milk, GHO. Velveta shells and cheese (cheaper than Great Value, actually), etc. A sawbuck a week is tough. Break down and buy a generic multi-vitamin bottle once a month, too. You can try taking one every other day to stretch it, but on that serious of a budget, you need to take care of yourself.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/7/09 12:20 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Yeah, pasta is good on the budget.

It's amazing how many packs of ramen noodles you can get for small money. Not sure if they still qualify as vegan once you add the flavor (boullion) packet, though. That takes care of the starches.

Many types of beans can also be had cheap, and are a good source of protein. Character can be added with some hot sauce.

I've often heard that some of nature's "perfect" foods are bananas, honey, and peanut butter. Those sound pretty vegatarian to me, although not always cheap.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/7/09 12:22 p.m.

That's 10lbs of macaroni, and 5lbs of stew beef chunks.

Add in some crushed tomatos and some spices. Voila! Goulash!

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/7/09 12:38 p.m.

Peanut butter is dirt cheap if you buy it in bulk, pasta, beans, rice, etc etc. Frozen veg is also dirt cheap if you buy it in giant packages (The local costco sells a 7lb bag of veg for like, 10$ or some hideously cheap number). Tuna is pretty lean, even in the can, tastes good, and at like .50$ a can, easy enough to fit a few cans into the budget. As everyon else has said, spices are basically free. Parm, relish, ketchup/catusp, salt, pepper, honey, sugar, sugar substitute, salt, pepper, hot sauce, mayo, butter, miracle whip, Mustard, Arbys sauce, BBQ sauce...... all available fairly easily for free if you do a little foraging. Keep a close eye on the local grocers specials too, as sometimes you can buy a roast or some burger for like 2$ a lb, if that. If you're feeling REALLY fancy, you can add a small bag of frozen shrimp in there. You also have your really cheap prepackaged items like the Rice A Roni/Pasta Creations/ramen sides. Edible on their own, but especially in the case of ramen, add a little of that frozen veg, some hot sauce (Sriracha, but you actually have to pay for that) a bit of tuna, and maybe throw an egg in there for a little flavor, and you got yourself a nice little spicy soup creation that will rival 90% of the commercially available products. Canned chicken is good too, and I'm not gonna lie, I like me some spam. Get the low sodium stuff though, as the regular stuff is stupidly salty.

Gearheadotaku
12/7/09 12:45 p.m.

I don't care about being vega-whatever, so that helps. Peanut butter used to be a regular in my menu, my body, uh..., rejects it now.

Good call on the multi vitiman Dr. H, I do that. I tried a bean and rice box mix thing once, it was so salty you could have melted ice with it. What kind of beans do you use?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGMqsUt6W9eNY9SZmIwQtr42SelFmne2tjr1zmXSedSb6YgzRPw8wy0fkg6LvZB3