1 2
Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/16/24 9:01 a.m.

Wife and I both gave up after episode 5. We had the same feelings of "WTAF?!?" (I read the book years ago and remember very little. She had not read it at all.)

The scene with the ship was the turning point where we got frustrated and stopped caring. Aside from the obvious problem, there was just too much, "This runs completely counter to what the characters just said they care about and are trying to do." Gave it a bit longer to redeem itself, and it didn't.

Aside from an exploration and critique of China's Cultural Revolution... The Expanse grapples with all the same pertinent themes as this show, only waaaay better.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
4/16/24 1:23 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

Welp... I just finished Death's End.

It was... weird.

That wraps up the trilogy for me. The Dark Forrest was by far my favourite.

Not sure when I'll get around to watching the show as I'm still busy being upset by Fallout, but at the very least I'm glad it motivated me to read the books.

I also finished the trilogy last night. Dark Forest is one I really need to read again at a later date. But I also feel the same as you about Death's End, enjoyed it, but agree it was weird. Though reading Reddit discussions, I don't get the hate on there for Cheng Xin. 

I plan on skipping the Netflix version and watching the Tencent one instead. 

Chris_V
Chris_V PowerDork
4/16/24 2:43 p.m.
Katie Wilson said:

Other times, the show or movie is severely lacking and it leads me to re-read the book in order to kinda wash my brain of it.

Often times, the book adaptation that would do the story proud would end up being a 10 hour movie. Or at least 10 episodes of a series (considering an "hour long episode" is really only 40-43 minutes). Some executive and creative decisions have to be made.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DrZSq6zFNG7O50NKhtsyMmS0VR2afFDcCrz2nBFL2nStxQviTNGIkE3GMJ1HYKhO