1 2 3 ... 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 11:17 a.m.

We had a new grain terminal built here, and it's causing some issues. Apparently the owners hired a Contractor to run the place, who hired a local Engineers Operators Union (as it's all brand new, high-tech, computerized stuff). Our local Longshoreman didn't like that, as they have a very legally questionable "agreement" with the Port (who owns the land the grain terminal is leasing) that they get all of the Port jobs. Needless to say, picketing ensued. A Judge issued a restraining order after they blocked trains

Well it's turned violent. Really violent. Really early yesterday 400 of the Longshoreman stormed the place, drug a security guard out of his car, drove it into a ditch, busted out windows, cut the brake lines on the train, dumped all the grain, and blocked a train! It made National headlines.

Here's the local scoop: http://tdn.com/news/local/article_e98046a8-da30-11e0-bd16-001cc4c002e0.html

WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904836104576558962404370264.html

NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/business/union-dispute-near-seattle-turns-violent-and-idles-ports.html

This picture sums it up nicely I think:

My thing is, are these people idiots? As if they'll ever get jobs from this company at all now. They've caused thousands of dollars in damage, prevented millions of dollars of commerce from happening, pissed off the NLRB and a Federal Judge, and are likely to be sent to prison. It's not even that the company didn't hire Union, they hired more-skilled workers from a different type of Union. Then again, these idiots think that mounting signs to baseball bats is a reasonable action.

Not trying to stir anything up here, I know what good Unions in general have historically done for us, but this Union in particular seems to have a collective IQ of about 3. What's wrong with them?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
9/9/11 11:28 a.m.

Ya gotta luv Unions!

stroker
stroker HalfDork
9/9/11 11:48 a.m.

Longshoremen? Didn't Container Ships turn them into Dodos years ago?

slefain
slefain SuperDork
9/9/11 11:48 a.m.

Nothing says "non violent protest" like a placard stapled to a baseball bat.

Throw'em all in jail, let'em unionize the laundry center and license plates.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/9/11 11:49 a.m.

Hmmm, I will have to try that on my next job interview:

Walk in, proceed to destroy the interviewers office, then scream "GIVE ME THIS JOB, IT'S MINE!!"

... ya, that'll work.

It would seem, if anything, this is a legal issue. Probably best handled with lawyers or in a court room, not in a field with a baseball bat.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/9/11 11:52 a.m.
stroker wrote: Longshoremen? Didn't Container Ships turn them into Dodos years ago?

Isn't the point of a modern union to prolong unsustainable jobs and salary levels as long as humanly possible?

<~~~ has paid Union electricians $100 an hour to watch me plug extension cords into floor outlets at trade shows in convention centers.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 11:53 a.m.

If this drives up the price of my Panera Bread lunch, I will be pissed.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
9/9/11 11:57 a.m.

They're threatening that it's going to get worse... It's where I live too!

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/9/11 11:58 a.m.

Just to make things clear, trains are equipped with E-brakes, so cutting them makes them stay exactly where they are.

What idiots!? I cannot fathom that type of entitlement mentality.

Javelin
9/9/11 12:03 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: If this drives up the price of my Panera Bread lunch, I will be pissed.

Nah, it'll only drive up the price of the Panera Bread lunch in China. We export baby!

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
9/9/11 12:05 p.m.
Duke wrote: Isn't the point of a modern union to prolong unsustainable jobs and salary levels as long as humanly possible?

yup! with the labor laws we have now, there is no need for unions, except to drive jobs out of the country.

Javelin
9/9/11 12:06 p.m.
Duke wrote:
stroker wrote: Longshoremen? Didn't Container Ships turn them into Dodos years ago?
Isn't the point of a modern union to prolong unsustainable jobs and salary levels as long as humanly possible? <~~~ has paid Union electricians $100 an hour to watch me plug extension cords into floor outlets at trade shows in convention centers.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Again, it's not like the company went out and hired a bunch on non-Union workers either, they just hired Operating Engineers (who may actually have skills?) to run this state-of-the-art contraption. I know for a fact you don't even need a GED to get into the Longshoreman's. Their agreement with the Port is probably illegal, the NLRB itself is pissed at them, and now they've violated a Federal Judge's orders. What in tarnation makes them think they'll get jobs out of this racket?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/9/11 12:14 p.m.
Javelin wrote: What in tarnation makes them think they'll get jobs out of this racket?

Because they are idiot mouth breathing thugs suffering from group-think?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 12:41 p.m.

I hate it when this sort of thing happens.

There are still good reasons for Unions.. but stuff like this just adds amunition for the anti-union folk to blame all of this nations woes on them.

Gotta love mob mentality. Say there were 100 union guys there.. on their own, they probably wouldn't consider stapling a strike sign to a baseball bat, cutting the lines on the train, or hurting the security guard.. but once you get a mob together.. anything seems to happen.

Local 54 is getting ready to strike here in AC.. thier strikes usually turn violent

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/9/11 12:50 p.m.

I have unions check up on the union guys at my site. They try to bug the non-union guys when they can get away with it. I try to make sure it doesn't happen. Try to pull me out of anywhere (I'm the rent-a-cop) and expect to have holes bored through you. You or me and my aim is good. That "sign" is enough to show intent upon hurting me.

Javelin
9/9/11 1:22 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I have unions check up on the union guys at my site. They try to bug the non-union guys when they can get away with it. I try to make sure it doesn't happen. Try to pull me out of anywhere (I'm the rent-a-cop) and expect to have holes bored through you. You or me and my aim is good. That "sign" is enough to show intent upon hurting me.

The security personnel in question here were unarmed. I'm sure they wish they were now.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/11 1:31 p.m.

They took er jerbs!!!!!!!

monark192
monark192 Reader
9/9/11 1:33 p.m.

Union vs Union fight - wierd.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/9/11 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

We're in a murder capital tag-team city. Number one two and three change every year. Were in the thick of it no getting around being armed here. If course, I've been nearly hit too, so its body armor for me as well

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/9/11 1:37 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Javelin wrote: What in tarnation makes them think they'll get jobs out of this racket?
Because they are idiot mouth breathing thugs suffering from group-think?

+1. They couldn't cut it in the "real" and now rely on the "mob" to get them more money than they are worth. Sad really.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
9/9/11 1:41 p.m.

With unemployment so high there should be no problem firing everyone and hiring new non-union labor. I'm sure there are a ton of unemployed folks who would love to have those jobs.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/9/11 1:42 p.m.
slefain wrote: With unemployment so high there should be no problem firing everyone and hiring new non-union labor.

According to unions, that's illegal!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/9/11 1:43 p.m.
oldtin
oldtin Dork
9/9/11 1:56 p.m.
Javelin wrote: This picture sums it up nicely I think:

He brought a baseball bat to a gun fight? Air traffic controllers thought they couldn't be fired... Seems like port control could easily fall under national security interests and well, seems like a bad idea to piss off a federal judge who might have enough juice to do something about it.

Javelin
9/9/11 2:27 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Javelin: We're in a murder capital tag-team city. Number one two and three change every year. Were in the thick of it no getting around being armed here. If course, I've been nearly hit too, so its body armor for me as well

Stay safe out there man!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FVBxKs1yjdNXfYZpyDlLWwMXdkwCmTkFKgJukQEodBX3KxDY7i8BMP1kZt5qSBpM