1 2
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/25/13 9:55 a.m.

I remember watching a CSI and they kept mentioning a Lexus by name, over and over, so obvious, and then credit mention.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/25/13 10:10 a.m.

Yeah, product placement is pretty obvious anymore. Like Chrysler in the last season of 'Breaking Bad'.

I remember when drink cans would have black tape over the names, the 'Morley' cigs in X Files etc.

Hell, Archie Bunker's beer cans were some kind of made up label that said 'Best Quality Beer' on them.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
10/25/13 10:12 a.m.

Hawaii 5/0 is all GM, mostly Chevrolet. They do sneak in an oddball once in a while.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/25/13 10:46 a.m.

I remember watching TV 50 years ago and noticing how all the cars on any particular show were all the same make. Product placement isn't new.

One of the most obvious ones I ever saw was the James Bond movie Live and Let Die. In the first part of the movie, Bond is in New York City and virtually every car in the background is a '73 Chevy.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/25/13 10:50 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
JoeyM wrote: you still watch broadcast TV?
yeah, and i drive American cars, too..

That's starting to come back in fashion, BTW...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/25/13 10:52 a.m.

Chrysler used to be a big TV sponsor in the 70's. Every cop car was a big Chrysler, for example. Bad guys, everyone drove a new Chrysler.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/25/13 10:54 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: What I don't understand is why we still have to waste time skipping over commercials? Just get rid of them and go with 100% product placement. Sure, it might be tough to slip a Pepsi into Game of Thrones, but get creative!

While product placement in TV shows is a very old technique, what you are saying is exactly what I think is in the process of happening. As we are more and more able to skip commercials, the value of them goes down. Eventually advertisers will see little value in TV commercials, and at that point placing products inside the show will be much more prevalent than it is even now. BTW, I haven't seen the Robin Williams show, but ironically the worst show I've watched for blatant product placement is this years World Challenge coverage, and it got worse as the year went on. By the last race, there was very little actual race coverage.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
10/25/13 11:06 a.m.

Product placement you say?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/25/13 11:11 a.m.

Product placement has been around a very long time, but I think the point is that it's getting much more pervasie. Having one make of car (or soda or whatever) be displayed is common place. Think of the Transformer movie series. All GM, mostly Chevy. IIRC, one of them even had the Spark in it a year before it was released for sale. But now shows are building commercials in as part of the "script". My wife and I both watch "The Biggest Loser". They have several commercials within the show, where the trainer or contestant talks up a brand of cereal or yogurt. Thankfully, we DVR the show so we skip through that garbage.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/13 11:17 a.m.

Nothing new here.... Can you say NFL?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/25/13 11:21 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

"Who won that fight, anyway?"

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/13 11:24 a.m.
noddaz wrote: Nothing new here.... Can you say NFL?

I am surprised NFL teams don't have sponsors on the jerseys yet.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
10/25/13 11:31 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Hawaii 5/0 is all GM, mostly Chevrolet. They do sneak in an oddball once in a while.

The bad guys often drive Fords

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
10/25/13 11:40 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Hell, Archie Bunker's beer cans were some kind of made up label that said 'Best Quality Beer' on them.

Repo Man!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/25/13 11:43 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
"Who won that fight, anyway?"

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/25/13 11:56 a.m.

The GM product placement in Transformers is probably considered nearly "perfect" within the industry. It's blatantly obvious and pushed just to the point of making an otherwise entertaining movie only almost unbearable to watch...But not quite.

ultraclyde wrote: That and Netflix, although it's mostly Netflix. Turned off the cable almost 3 years ago. saves me $100/month.

Almost the same exact scenario here...And it was one of the best decisions we've made.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
10/25/13 12:06 p.m.

This comes to mind

http://youtu.be/8lgLYGBbDNs

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/25/13 2:50 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Product placement has been around a very long time, but I think the point is that it's getting much more pervasie. Having one make of car (or soda or whatever) be displayed is common place. Think of the Transformer movie series. All GM, mostly Chevy. IIRC, one of them even had the Spark in it a year before it was released for sale. But now shows are building commercials in as part of the "script". My wife and I both watch "The Biggest Loser". They have several commercials within the show, where the trainer or contestant talks up a brand of cereal or yogurt. Thankfully, we DVR the show so we skip through that garbage.

there was a "Ford" in the first Transformers movie... the Mustang cop car... but Ford didn't want to be perceived as the bad guy and wouldn't let them use it... Steve Saleen didn't believe in petty objections like that and let them use a Saleen that just happened to be built off a Mustang base..

but yeah- my point with this thread is how obvious the product placement is. when a major plot point involves the process of making a tv ad campaign for a fortune 500 company, and the name of that company gets mentioned 20 times by the main characters, it's not hard to know know what's going on... and the show is bad- just bad. the scripts seem to consist of "Robin Williams does Robin Williams stuff, then tries to connect with his daughter. meanwhile, goofy younger brother from the show that the woman from Seinfeld used to have does something neurotic"..

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
10/25/13 4:06 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Saw a few minutes of it - decided it was unwatchable

I haven't given it a chance yet (episodes still sitting on the DVR). Bummer. I was hoping it would be good (odds seemed good that it would be).

As for product placement, it seems like phones, tablets and laptops lead the way on TV. Microsoft has done a big push with their phones and the surface (especially on Elementary). Blackberry tried on the Michael J Fox show.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
10/25/13 8:45 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I figured this thread would be about

Dude, you read my mind.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
10/25/13 8:49 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
noddaz wrote: Nothing new here.... Can you say NFL?
I am surprised NFL teams don't have sponsors on the jerseys yet.

The NFL is so profitable they don't need to. Let's zee how this concussion stuff plays out though.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/25/13 11:38 p.m.

the NFL is a non profit organization...

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/26/13 12:22 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: the NFL is a non profit organization...

with all the tax benefits that entails

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/26/13 12:25 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
novaderrik wrote: the NFL is a non profit organization...
with all the tax benefits that entails

yup. i wish i was a non profit organization, instead i'm just a low profit individual...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
10/26/13 6:08 a.m.

Yeah all of the licensed products still effect what the salaries are of "employees" in nonprofit organizations. Its not like its a charity.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GkBEWH699R2Jepo2FjiQSSFdGaKYkcibJMuZumtPBwsZfTqvrx0OnL1s0pboyIwU